An off the forum question please bear with me

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
polo

An off the forum question please bear with me

Post by polo »

Hello fellow Buddists Forum readers please bear with me because I have a simple question that I have difficulty getting answer elsewhere.
It is about Computer Programmer. I am sure there are some forum members who are computer expert so they can help me answer this question.
I wish to learn to be a Computer Programmer. Do I need to be very good in Maths, other than the normal secondary school maths? How much maths are used in this study?
Will Computer programming be taken over by computer itself in future thus deprive me of a job?
Please I have no place to ask this question .
ehensens

Re: An off the forum question please bear with me

Post by ehensens »

Hello polo!

I am a Software Engineer so I can offer you advice based on my personal job responsibilities. The only math I ever really have to use is trigonometry and matrix math, but that's because of the particular product that I work on. I'm sure there are lots of programmers who hardly ever have to do much math. What's more important is a solid understanding of binary logic.

Hope that helps!
Erik
polo

Post by polo »

ehensens wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:14 pm Hello polo!

I am a Software Engineer so I can offer you advice based on my personal job responsibilities. The only math I ever really have to use is trigonometry and matrix math, but that's because of the particular product that I work on. I'm sure there are lots of programmers who hardly ever have to do much math. What's more important is a solid understanding of binary logic.

Hope that helps!
Erik
Thank you Erik, very much obliged for your early reply and a great help to my question. I was worried that if I take the course in programming i wouldn't be able to do well because of complicated maths involved. If simple maths like plus, minus, multiply I have no problems beyond that would be problem.
Could you give some idea on binary logic. After you have given a little explanation on binary logic it would be the last discussion otherwise members would be annoy that we are discussing topic outside Buddhism topic.
Once again thank you Erik.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

polo wrote:Do I need to be very good in Maths, other than the normal secondary school maths? How much maths are used in this study?
A typical Comp Sci/Software Engineering 4-year degree does requires some college level math like Calculus, Linear Algebra, Discrete math, and Statistics. But that's pretty much it, the rest are regular comp sci courses like Data Structures, Comp. systems & architecture, Algorithm & complexity, Logic, Sets and Functions, etc. which don't really require advanced math knowledge. As long as you're pretty decent with logic and logical thinking, possess an inquisitive mind, a problem-solving kind of guy, then you should be fine.

Regarding the question about AI taking over comp sci jobs, the answer is yes...eventually. But STEM majors will be among the last ones to go. The types of jobs to go first are those that can be easily automated: assembly-line workers, bank tellers, truck drivers, travel agents, etc. If job stability is your highest priority, go with healthcare professions: nursing, physical therapists, physician, physician assistants, etc. Regardless of a nation's economic situation, people will always get old and sick, and the demand for healthcare professionals will always be there for the near future...until the robots take over. But then once robots can take over complex human interaction functions, pretty much all other professions would've already been taken over by them..
polo

Post by polo »

santa100 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:54 pm
polo wrote:Do I need to be very good in Maths, other than the normal secondary school maths? How much maths are used in this study?
A typical Comp Sci/Software Engineering 4-year degree does requires some college level math like Calculus, Linear Algebra, Discrete math, and Statistics. But that's pretty much it, the rest are regular comp sci courses like Data Structures, Comp. systems & architecture, Algorithm & complexity, Logic, Sets and Functions, etc. which don't really require advanced math knowledge. As long as you're pretty decent with logic and logical thinking, possess an inquisitive mind, a problem-solving kind of guy, then you should be fine.

Regarding the question about AI taking over comp sci jobs, the answer is yes...eventually. But STEM majors will be among the last ones to go. The types of jobs to go first are those that can be easily automated: assembly-line workers, bank tellers, truck drivers, travel agents, etc. If job stability is your highest priority, go with healthcare professions: nursing, physical therapists, physician, physician assistants, etc. Regardless of a nation's economic situation, people will always get old and sick, and the demand for healthcare professionals will always be there for the near future...until the robots take over. But then once robots can take over complex human interaction functions, pretty much all other professions would've already been taken over by them..
Thank you Santa 100 . Normally how long it takes me to complete a course in computer programmer. 2 years or more? I can't afford to take too long time to study financially. Is it difficult to get a job as a new computer programmer. Do companies prefer experienced guys? Will I be able to design website?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

polo wrote:Normally how long it takes me to complete a course in computer programmer. 2 years or more?
There're a few different approaches. The one I mentioned was kinda the "formal" route, a 4-year bachelor of science degree in Comp Sci/Software Engineering, which obviously requires the longest time and the most money in exchange for being the safest route with a solid paycheck. Most company, not all, will expect their engineers to possess a 4-yr BS degree. You can also go 1 level down with a 2-year associate degree, a little bit quicker route and less expensive, in exchange for a somewhat lesser paycheck but still there're lots of demands. The third route is the quickest and cheapest: enroll in one of those "coding bootcamps" where you'll attend very intensive coding classes (10-14 hrs/day) over a few months and they'll try to cram 4 years of comp sci curriculum into your brain within a period of a few months. Since it's cheap and quick, it's also the riskest route for you have to make sure the company you want to work for would accept candidate without formal education. But hey, if you're truly exceptional like Bill Gates, or Mark Zuckerberg, college degree would be just another piece of paper right? So it's just pros and cons, and a matter of juggling what's more important in your priority list. Since you don't mention where you live, notice the above apply to the US and some western countries, and things might work differently if you live in a different country..
polo

Post by polo »

santa100 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:13 pm
polo wrote:Normally how long it takes me to complete a course in computer programmer. 2 years or more?
There're a few different approaches. The one I mentioned was kinda the "formal" route, a 4-year bachelor of science degree in Comp Sci/Software Engineering, which obviously requires the longest time and the most money in exchange for being the safest route with a solid paycheck. Most company, not all, will expect their engineers to possess a 4-yr BS degree. You can also go 1 level down with a 2-year associate degree, a little bit quicker route and less expensive, in exchange for a somewhat lesser paycheck but still there're lots of demands. The third route is the quickest and cheapest: enroll in one of those "coding bootcamps" where you'll attend very intensive coding classes (10-14 hrs/day) over a few months and they'll try to cram 4 years of comp sci curriculum into your brain within a period of a few months. Since it's cheap and quick, it's also the riskest route for you have to make sure the company you want to work for would accept candidate without formal education. But hey, if you're truly exceptional like Bill Gates, or Mark Zuckerberg, college degree would be just another piece of paper right? So it's just pros and cons, and a matter of juggling what's more important in your priority list. Since you don't mention where you live, notice the above apply to the US and some western countries, and things might work differently if you live in a different country..
Hi Santa, thank you for your kind reply. So this is actually a difficult academic stuff. Now I am wondering in what way I can find out if the intensive short course is something I am capable of doing. If I don't take the course i wouldn't know right? If half way I quit I will lose my money.
I guess the only way is to try out the tutorial on youtube and see what it is like.
I am living in Malaysia. I don't hear much talk about computer programming here may be there are and I am not in the circle of people who are doing it. That's why I am asking on the Dhamma forum.
Is Computer programming job a difficult job? In the sense that after you passed the course and get the job and find it too difficult it would be a failure.
Thanks for your informations . Best regards.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

polo wrote:Is Computer programming job a difficult job? In the sense that after you passed the course and get the job and find it too difficult it would be a failure.
That's a good question that's kinda tough to answer. It's probably not as tough compared to a degree in theoretical math or physics. It's about as tough as engineering degrees like mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical engineering, etc. It does require lots of patience, cuz once you've written some computer code that just doesn't run or return the wrong result, you're gonna have to sit there and debug it until the bug is found and eliminated. That's why in my previous post, I asked whether you're pretty decent with math and logic, and possess an inquistive mind that enjoy solving problems? You definitely don't need a genius IQ to work as a coder, but if you don't have the perseverance and the interest to pursue a problem until you've found a solution, then the job might not be the best fit for you. About the second part of the question, don't worry about not being to perform, 'cuz typically, you won't get a job offer until after you've aced the coding interview tests. Companies will grill you with technical questions, have you write some code, and/or debugging a piece of their broken code. They can pretty quickly separate out the real deal from the bullshitter. So if you've aced the interview, chances are good you'll be fine on your job. So to get an idea about the nature of the job, there're lots of good tutorials online, try it out, and take some interview tests (also plenty online) and see how you do and whether you really like pursuing it for a career..
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

polo wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:10 pm Hello fellow Buddists Forum readers please bear with me because I have a simple question that I have difficulty getting answer elsewhere.
It is about Computer Programmer. I am sure there are some forum members who are computer expert so they can help me answer this question.
I wish to learn to be a Computer Programmer. Do I need to be very good in Maths, other than the normal secondary school maths? How much maths are used in this study?
Will Computer programming be taken over by computer itself in future thus deprive me of a job?
I teach maths to future programmers and some of the maths is hard. People do fail and drop out. It depends on the particular course you wish to undertake. Check with the College, but yes, you need to be quite intelligent and have decent technical skills. Not to say that they assume that you know lots of maths already, but you should be able to pick things up pretty quickly. I don't know how tough the job market is where you are, so it may vary for sure. But ask yourself why programmer. It's a pretty logic-driver job, where analytical and problem-solving skills are important.
_/|\_
polo

Post by polo »

Dan74 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:19 pm
polo wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:10 pm Hello fellow Buddists Forum readers please bear with me because I have a simple question that I have difficulty getting answer elsewhere.
I teach maths to future programmers and some of the maths is hard. People do fail and drop out. It depends on the particular course you wish to undertake. Check with the College, but yes, you need to be quite intelligent and have decent technical skills. Not to say that they assume that you know lots of maths already, but you should be able to pick things up pretty quickly. I don't know how tough the job market is where you are, so it may vary for sure. But ask yourself why programmer. It's a pretty logic-driver job, where analytical and problem-solving skills are important.
Thank you Dan74, much obliged for your kind reply to my questions. Now I have some idea whether I would be able to succeed if i study computer programming.
It's too tough for me, especially my maths and logic are lacking. My maths is only doing plus, minus and multiply nothing more than that, so it's not a good idea to go for computer programming.