Why do we have resentment towards the people are very close to us?

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
SarathW
Posts: 10375
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Why do we have resentment towards the people are very close to us?

Post by SarathW » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:20 am

Thank you Mr.Man it sounds good in theory.
In practice, we find people very difficult to handle.
For instance, you find very difficult people in this forum sometimes.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
Mr Man
Posts: 3374
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Why do we have resentment towards the people are very close to us?

Post by Mr Man » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:43 am

SarathW wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:20 am
Thank you Mr.Man it sounds good in theory.
In practice, we find people very difficult to handle.
For instance, you find very difficult people in this forum sometimes.
If things are too overwhelming I think sometimes the best thing to do is take a step back.

Resentment is part of the human condition. It is there in our heart and then we allow it to latch onto an object (at hand). Being born is the root cause of resentment.

Dinsdale
Posts: 6096
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Andromeda looks nice

Re: Why do we have resentment towards the people are very close to us?

Post by Dinsdale » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:46 am

Mr Man wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:43 am
If things are too overwhelming I think sometimes the best thing to do is take a step back.
:thumbsup:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

SarathW
Posts: 10375
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Why do we have resentment towards the people are very close to us?

Post by SarathW » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:52 am

Being born is the root cause of resentment.
Good point. :anjali:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
Nwad
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Re: Why do we have resentment towards the people are very close to us?

Post by Nwad » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:56 am

Because our mind is the most attached to these peoples, there is a lot of expectations and dependence. More love there is, more ill will there can be.

SarathW
Posts: 10375
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Why do we have resentment towards the people are very close to us?

Post by SarathW » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:12 am

Nwad wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:56 am
Because our mind is the most attached to these peoples, there is a lot of expectations and dependence. More love there is, more ill will there can be.
Good point.
Can you give some examples?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
Nwad
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Re: Why do we have resentment towards the people are very close to us?

Post by Nwad » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:06 pm

SarathW wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:12 am
Good point.
Can you give some examples?
For exemple when someone have love and confidence in his partner, and then he see that this person is cheating on him. It bring a lot of suffering and anger, like if some one cut off a part of one's body. But if this person have no confidance in his partner and actualy dont realy love him/her, so the fact of chaeting will not have a big impact on him, and anger (suffering) will not apear, because there is no "contact" between mind and object, there is no "me, mine, myself", so there is no destruction of these "me, mine, myself" and no suffering.

It like if you put a lot of money on trading and then see all money burn...

More we give importance to some one, more this person can make us suffer.

SarathW
Posts: 10375
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Why do we have resentment towards the people are very close to us?

Post by SarathW » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:50 pm

Nwad wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:06 pm
SarathW wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:12 am
Good point.
Can you give some examples?
For exemple when someone have love and confidence in his partner, and then he see that this person is cheating on him. It bring a lot of suffering and anger, like if some one cut off a part of one's body. But if this person have no confidance in his partner and actualy dont realy love him/her, so the fact of chaeting will not have a big impact on him, and anger (suffering) will not apear, because there is no "contact" between mind and object, there is no "me, mine, myself", so there is no destruction of these "me, mine, myself" and no suffering.

It like if you put a lot of money on trading and then see all money burn...

More we give importance to some one, more this person can make us suffer.
This does not explain why we have anger towards people we do not love or no attachment.
For instance our neighbors.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
Nwad
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Re: Why do we have resentment towards the people are very close to us?

Post by Nwad » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:23 am

SarathW wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:50 pm
This does not explain why we have anger towards people we do not love or no attachment.
For instance our neighbors.
Attachemet to our plans or expectations, perhaps?
I want to build new room im my house, but the law forbit it - i feel anger. I want listen to music at 3am, but neighbors call the police i feel anger.

The feeling of injustice is often cause of anger. But all is JUST in this world, kamma law make all just, so actualy there is no injustice, no reason to anger, all is just as it is. IMHO

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests