Structuring lay life

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
oncereturner

Re: Structuring lay life

Post by oncereturner » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:37 pm

SDC wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:24 pm
In other words, people legitimately do not know how full of sh*t they are. They enjoy pretending to be all Dhammic and wise, yet they crumble at the slightest, most minuscule shift in circumstance. Why? Because feeling and looking like a good Buddhist was more important than actually being one. Being one?! :rofl: Who cares about that?! :lol: ........ :|
Sadly 99.9% of people doesn't even know dhamma. They are aggressive, adapted to the harsh circumstances. And they are proud to be a fool, drunkard or a criminal. When I tell them something about it, they say "don't teach me, low-life" or "it's a religious text, I have my own religion". Some of them are intelligent, but they have their own views.
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8

oncereturner

Post by oncereturner » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:57 pm

I'm humbled by your perfect English knowledge. :bow: It's not my mother tongue, it took me a week to figure out what "ordain" means. It makes me harder to access the true knowledge. I live in relatively good conditions, educated, read a lot of books, but what about those poor people living in Africa or in other regions? They can't access clean water, not to mention dhamma.
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8

oncereturner

Post by oncereturner » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:08 pm

This thread is dead. Rip:
"Monks, do not wage wordy warfare, saying: 'You don't understand this Dhamma and discipline, I understand this Dhamma and discipline'; 'How could you understand it? You have fallen into wrong practices: I have the right practice'; 'You have said afterwards what you should have said first, and you have said first what you should have said afterwards'; 'What I say is consistent, what you say isn't'; 'What you have thought out for so long is entirely reversed'; 'Your statement is refuted'; 'You are talking rubbish!'; 'You are in the wrong'; 'Get out of that if you can!'

"Why should you not do this? Such talk, monks, is not related to the goal, it is not fundamental to the holy life, does not conduce to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, tranquillity, higher knowledge, enlightenment or to Nibbana. When you have discussions, monks, you should discuss Suffering, the Arising of Suffering, its Cessation, and the Path that leads to its Cessation. Why is that? Because such talk is related to the goal... it conduces to disenchantment... to Nibbana. This is the task you must accomplish."

— SN 56.9

— SN 45.8

oncereturner

Post by oncereturner » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:19 pm

I still can't feel compassion for my former teachers. One of them hit me, another one choked my neck. They will be fortunate not to meet me again, still feeling some kind of revenge. :/

Now I live amongst criminals, and I feel no compassion too. They should be locked in prison, only way to get rid of them.

— SN 45.8