Structuring lay life

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
No_Mind

Re: Structuring lay life

Post by No_Mind »

Nwad wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:45 am About OP:
Lay people improuve their practice with monk's rules, as monks improve their practice with dhutanga rules. All that is for great benefit for progress and for the peace of mind... Why someone should stop to practice "a lay dhutanga" if its brings him joy and peace?

To Binocular:
Dear Binocular, iam man but i fully understand and support you... Sex is a waste of time, dirty, violent, animal, low, childish, blind activity which brings no pleasure at all... Personaly i have more pleadure by going pee! With my beautifull exgirlfriend we had no sex for 2 years, and we no need it to show how we love each other... No need sex to show love and metta, in other case we should make it with all those peoples we love, like chimpaze ;) Iam not a chimpanze, with all respect to these lovely beings... Actualy when i see someone be obsessed by sex i see him like a chempanze or an animal :s

Like a song from my childhood said "...So do it like they do on the discovery channel ..." :)
Dear Nwad,

You are by your own description asexual. I respect it. But no need to say sex is "waste of time, dirty, violent, animal, low, childish, blind activity which brings no pleasure at all... Personaly i have more pleadure by going pee"

Were you born as a result of a dirty, childish, low and violent act?

The opposite of asexual is not "someone be obsessed by sex i see him like a chempanze or an animal" but a normal human being with normal sexual needs.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

No_Mind wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:28 pm
Dear Nwad,

You are by your own description asexual. I respect it. But no need to say sex is "waste of time, dirty, violent, animal, low, childish, blind activity which brings no pleasure at all... Personaly i have more pleadure by going pee"

Were you born as a result of a dirty, childish, low and violent act?

The opposite of asexual is not "someone be obsessed by sex i see him like a chempanze or an animal" but a normal human being with normal sexual needs.

:anjali:
It was my personal opinion to show to Binocular that there are some men who are not obsessed by it.
By obsession i mean someone who quite relationship while there is no more sex... Or not enought...

Love is not sex, sex is about clonning our own genome ;) IMO
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

Nwad wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:45 am Sex is a waste of time, dirty, violent, animal, low, childish, blind activity which brings no pleasure at all...
I have to agree. It's also disgusting, exhausting and shameful. Inner peace is destroyed by this.

"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
binocular

Post by binocular »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:34 pmThe rest of your post is, once more, a generalised critique of men, but there is still nothing in it to justify your earlier point about Buddhist wives being somehow different because of their Buddhism.
Like I said, I'm trying to stay within the bounds of the ToS, so I'm afraid some things will have to remain unsaid.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

How come there are no more women posting in this thread ... as usual ...?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

This is a good sutta on family life and in regards to leadership it is instructive;
AN 4.255
Kula Sutta: On Families
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu

"In every case where a family cannot hold onto its great wealth for long, it is for one or another of these four reasons. Which four? They don't look for things that are lost. They don't repair things that have gotten old. They are immoderate in consuming food and drink. They place a woman or man of no virtue or principles in the position of authority. In every case where a family cannot hold onto its great wealth for long, it is for one or another of these four reasons.

"In every case where a family can hold onto its great wealth for long, it is for one or another of these four reasons. Which four? They look for things that are lost. They repair things that have gotten old. They are moderate in consuming food and drink. They place a virtuous, principled woman or man in the position of authority. In every case where a family can hold onto its great wealth for long, it is for one or another of these four reasons."
Here virtuosity is defined;
Mahanama Sutta: Being a Lay Buddhist
translated from the Pali by
Kumara Bhikkhu
© 2005
"Then, venerable sir, in what way is a lay follower virtuous?"

"Mahanama, inasmuch as a lay follower abstains from destroying living beings; abstains from taking what is not given; abstains from sexual misconduct; abstains from lying; and abstains from wine, liquor and intoxicants that are causes for heedlessness; in that way, Mahanama, a lay follower is virtuous."
If a Buddhist husband wants to lead he has to be qualified otherwise he ought to let the woman lead in general as i understand these Sutta.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

binocular wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:28 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:34 pmThe rest of your post is, once more, a generalised critique of men, but there is still nothing in it to justify your earlier point about Buddhist wives being somehow different because of their Buddhism.
Like I said, I'm trying to stay within the bounds of the ToS, so I'm afraid some things will have to remain unsaid.
OK - understood.
binocular

Post by binocular »

User1249x wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:46 pmIf a Buddhist husband wants to lead he has to be qualified otherwise he ought to let the woman lead in general as i understand these Sutta.
What Buddhist man does not consider himself qualified to lead?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

binocular wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:15 pm
User1249x wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:46 pmIf a Buddhist husband wants to lead he has to be qualified otherwise he ought to let the woman lead in general as i understand these Sutta.
The one who does not consider himself qualified to lead obviously. I am sure many would be happy to let a woman take the lead if she really was more qualified. If i was in relationship with a Sakidagami female, i would assist her in running my life pretty much.
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

SDC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:25 pm [Split from this thread.]
dylanj wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:58 pm stop playing them. renounce them all forever. it's the best & only real option
What is preventing you from ordaining? It is the first question that comes to mind when I see practitioners trying to "monastify the laity". I used to be one btw. I'm honestly curious what you think about this and wondering if it is something you have considered. If you prefer such a strict lifestyle, why not ordain where the conditions are already the way you prefer? Why put the pressure on the laity?

(If this goes off topic we can move the discussion.)
I confess, after deleting my games, next morning I was in panic. I asked the developers to restore my game progress, and I get back all my childish entertainment.

I'm still not ready to such a strict lifestyle.

But at least I stopped listening to music two weeks ago, which was a lifetime habit and fetter.

"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

oncereturner wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:37 pm I'm still not ready to such a strict lifestyle.
It is good to occasionally test our limits like you did there.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

binocular wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:31 pm Of course, this is where some Buddhist men chip in with the whole no-self thing. Oddly enough, why don't they refer to no-self when it comes to their groins.
:lol: :thumbsup:
binocular wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:31 pm Maybe it was just my bad luck that those two were such jerks. But in reality, the vast majority of men have exactly the same expectations, the same criteria about relationships (except maybe for some very strict Hasidic Jews and a few others). Some men just happen to be more polite than others. This may change the surface of the relationship, but not its nature.
I have lived next door to some Hasidic Jews in the past and I can tell you the husbands are no better there either. They expect their wives to have at least 6 children; even 10 children for one Hasidic woman is not unusual.
binocular wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:15 pm What Buddhist man does not consider himself qualified to lead?
As I mentioned in the other thread, surely you must have seen at least some couples where the man is the doormat? And then other couples where the relationship is very egalitarian. I realize it is not as common as the traditional gender roles of the past, but there have been some improvements over the years.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

User1249x wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:45 pm
binocular wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:15 pm
The one who does not consider himself qualified to lead obviously. I am sure many would be happy to let a woman take the lead if she really was more qualified. If i was in relationship with a Sakidagami female, i would assist her in running my life pretty much.
Just imagine with all their meditation and friendship with devas the insights they would have on NASDAQ futures or even greyhound races.

No_Mind and his sakadgami wife took a bus to Vegas .. yet to create rest of the joke

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

User1249x wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:23 pm
oncereturner wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:37 pm I'm still not ready to such a strict lifestyle.
It is good to occasionally test our limits like you did there.
:goodpost:
oncereturner wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:37 pm
SDC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:25 pm [Split from this thread.]
dylanj wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:58 pm stop playing them. renounce them all forever. it's the best & only real option
What is preventing you from ordaining? It is the first question that comes to mind when I see practitioners trying to "monastify the laity". I used to be one btw. I'm honestly curious what you think about this and wondering if it is something you have considered. If you prefer such a strict lifestyle, why not ordain where the conditions are already the way you prefer? Why put the pressure on the laity?

(If this goes off topic we can move the discussion.)
I confess, after deleting my games, next morning I was in panic. I asked the developers to restore my game progress, and I get back all my childish entertainment.

I'm still not ready to such a strict lifestyle.

But at least I stopped listening to music two weeks ago, which was a lifetime habit and fetter.

Its ok ;) You made a hit on your attachments, it will generate a kamma of nenounciation so its good to test your limits as said by View ;)
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
binocular

Post by binocular »

DNS wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:11 pmI have lived next door to some Hasidic Jews in the past and I can tell you the husbands are no better there either. They expect their wives to have at least 6 children; even 10 children for one Hasidic woman is not unusual.
I mean that at least some strict Hasidic Jews don't automatically expect their wives to have abortions, and don't insist on sex at all costs.

In religious contrast, a midwife here said that she has had cases where a Catholic woman asked for the midwife to stay with her for the night after she gave birth, so that at least for one night, she would be free from her husband demanding his right. Catholic priests actually instruct married people that a woman must always submit to her husband.
As I mentioned in the other thread, surely you must have seen at least some couples where the man is the doormat? And then other couples where the relationship is very egalitarian.
No. But I know many people who pretend to be that way. The husband pretending to be a doormat, or one or both of the partners pretending they are equal in the relationship.

To tie back to the OP:
SDC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 pmHow do we best structure lay life to get the most out of our practice? How close is too close when it comes to emulating monastics? Do we short ourselves an opportunity to discover Dhamma if we settle for the five precepts instead of eight?
Quoting an earlier post:
SDC wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:59 pmThink about it in terms of infatuation or obsession. Even when one is tending to their daily responsibilities, if something is dominating their mind they are going to dwell on it whether they want to or not, sometimes to the detriment of those responsibilities. If the Dhamma can be built up like that, every thought and action will incline towards it. The only difference with an inclination towards the Dhamma is the inherent and resulting wholesomeness typically absent in such aggressive reflection. Even if it were to be to the detriment of ordinary things, the wisdom that is gained would be worth the trouble (though one should be mindful to strike a reasonable balance considering those daily responsibilities). Again, it has to be built up to such a level though. Life will not incline towards the Dhamma if the Dhamma is not a generator of the necessary gravity for that inclination. That generation is the key to a dynamic pursuit of the Dhamma and it all starts with a desire to acquire its benefits (the only desire the Buddha praised).
The question is whther the Dhamma can be pursued in any other way but that -- as something that completely consumes a person's attention.
Can anything less than that actually be the pursuit of the Dhamma, or is it just Buddhism?

Many people brush off the issue by saying that even sotapannas still have sensual desires and act on them, and that therefore, pursuing sensual desires is somehow not all that detrimental; and also implying that all sensual desires are the same in some important way. But that's like saying that eating a handful of potato chips and eating an apple is the same, because they have the same amount of calories.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!