Gratitude to DhammaWheel admins and moderators

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
Subharo

Gratitude to DhammaWheel admins and moderators

Post by Subharo »

Dear Dhammawheel moderators and sysadmins (such as RetroFuturist, DNS, etc.),

Thank you for being so cool on this forum. I think you do a great job of not falling into contention and ill will, as various difficult anonymous cowards voice their strong views, and generally eel-wriggle and refuse to engage in polite, civilized, substantiated discussion (which seems to be a dying art on the internet). Such behaviour saps away at the community's good will, which is a precious resource.

Thank you for being so Buddhist. You demonstrate impressive patience and tolerance. Thank you for your efforts to build a Buddhist community, and standing up for the teachings of the Buddha.

PS: I also heaped some gratitude on the SuttaCentral admins over here. These very same sentiments apply here as well.

I am very grateful that DhammaWheel exists, and I hope this site has a good long life, not being overrun with intolerant, unreasonable, immoderate extremists.

:clap: :twothumbsup:
Last edited by Subharo on Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Subharo Bhikkhu
"There is but one taste on this path, the taste of freedom" -The Buddha :buddha1:
retrofuturist

Re: Gratitude to DhammaWheel admins and moderators

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Thank you for the kind words bhante.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Thanks, Bhante!
Subharo

Post by Subharo »

I have a little Buddhamas gift for you two (if you don't already have one), as a token of gratitude. This made me laugh. At the website https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ , at the bottom of the page one can download a free .pdf, which lists all the possible logical fallacies in a nice poster format. Makes a nice reference beside your computer, printed out.

Personally, my favorite fallacy was the "No true Scotsman" fallacy: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/no-true-scotsman

:jumping:
Subharo Bhikkhu
"There is but one taste on this path, the taste of freedom" -The Buddha :buddha1:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,

Nice! I'd love if these logical fallacies were more commonly taught in high schools... it really would improve the calibre of conversation!

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Personally, my favorite fallacy was the "No true Scotsman" fallacy
I like black or white.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/black-or-white
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Subharo

Post by Subharo »

SarathW wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:36 am
Personally, my favorite fallacy was the "No true Scotsman" fallacy
I like black or white.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/black-or-white
I've had that one foisted upon me several times by ordained monastics, whom I won't name (so as to not stir up contention). They tried to bust a "George W." on me, effectively saying that I was basically "either with them or against them." I mention this as a "public service announcement", as in, watch out people, this fallacy is currently floating around in the world of Buddhism.

PS: another big one to watch out for (again, I would prefer not to name names so as to not stir up contention), in current circulation: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/begging-the-question

PPS: did I just make unsubstantiated claims here? Yes I did. I admit to that. But I've decided not to provide further substantiation in order to protect myself. You can ignore these claims as you see fit, as they are admittedly unproven (on purpose).

At least I'm demonstrating a willingness to shed light on the topic of fallacies in general, to empower people to spot them more easily once they crop up in the future, in their own lives.
Last edited by Subharo on Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Subharo Bhikkhu
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,
Subharo wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:54 am "either with them or against them"
... ugh.

I've been on the end of that one... not only is it a logical fallacy, it's very disrespectful to another's intellectual autonomy, and the fact that others' minds may not be so narrow.

Certainly not a good attitude in a family or community setting...

Metta,