how to meet buddhist singles

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
SarathW

Re: how to meet buddhist singles

Post by SarathW »

but got sucked into the Dhamma... :buddha2:
Kamma (Vipaka) manifest in a strange way!
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

Sovatthika wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:58 pm now that i've essentially given up on hookups, according to my recent post, but i'm not committed to full celibacy and i don't know what i could have in common enough with any puthujjanas to start dating them i wondered if there was anything like a buddhist dating site. i didn't actually really wonder that more of a joke but btw is there anything like that
anyway this thread is supposed to be a joke but also there could be a good discussion here
Volunteer at your local temple. A lot. Get as involved in the place as you can.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
binocular

Post by binocular »

mikenz66 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:39 amIn a similar vein, when I first started going to a Thai Wat, I already had a Thai girlfriend, but she was in another country. I went to learn more about Thai culture and language /.../
That explains a lot then! Up until learning this, I've always felt shitty when you'd say how you went to your local temple and just felt good there, while I can't even imagine feeling good there. Well, you had motivations for going there other than the Dhamma, and I don't have such motivations.
:coffee:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

binocular wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:00 pm Up until learning this, I've always felt shitty when you'd say how you went to your local temple and just felt good there, while I can't even imagine feeling good there. Well, you had motivations for going there other than the Dhamma, and I don't have such motivations.
I had various motivations for going there. The first time the main motivation was that I was going through a rather difficult time.

My motivations changed with time, and the Dhamma motivation is certainly the most important one at this point.

I'm sorry that you don't feel good when visiting temples. Clearly different people have different experiences, preferences, and motivations.

:heart:
Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

ieee23 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:49 pm Volunteer at your local temple. A lot. Get as involved in the place as you can.
That's good general advice for all aspects of life...

Mike
Ren

Post by Ren »

Maybe go for related meeting places... for example classes of Hatha Yoga.
manas

Post by manas »

The desire for a girlfriend comes up from time to time, but then I recollect how essentially flawed romantic relationships are, and I get put off. I've suffered enough already, I think. :D
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

"In the same way, householder, a disciple of the noble ones considers this point: 'The Blessed One has compared sensuality to a chain of bones, of much stress, much despair, & greater drawbacks.' Seeing this with right discernment, as it actually is, then avoiding the equanimity coming from multiplicity, dependent on multiplicity, he develops the equanimity coming from singleness, dependent on singleness, where sustenance/clinging for the baits of the world ceases without trace."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dha ... index.html
Dhammavaro

Post by Dhammavaro »

After a 3 month retreat in Thailand, I got more telephone numbers than ever before.
I am not longer interested in relationships, but I made beautiful friendships in retreats.

I wish you luck and peace.
^^The Greatest Gift to Buddha, our Parents, our teacher..is to open the eye of dhamma^^
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

mikenz66 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:39 am
manas wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:31 am Try walking in the opposite direction: practice celibacy in body and mind, and women seem to come to YOU. It sucks but this is how it happened for me, the last two times.
In a similar vein, when I first started going to a Thai Wat, I already had a Thai girlfriend, but she was in another country. I went to learn more about Thai culture and language, but got sucked into the Dhamma... :buddha2:

The fact that I was interested in Dhamma, didn't smoke, drink, etc, and wasn't hitting on anyone (since I had a remote relationship) was then quite a powerful magnet...

Mike
Actually it is simpler than not smoking or drinking .. you had a passport from a first world country. I mean no offence and I do not mean you are unattractive or not a powerful magnet .. but the NZ passport helped.

:namaste:

No_Mind
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hmm, perhaps I wasn't clear that this was the Thai Wat in my city in New Zealand. The Thai people here are mostly residents or citizens already.

Mike
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

mikenz66 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:46 pm Hmm, perhaps I wasn't clear that this was the Thai Wat in my city in New Zealand. The Thai people here are mostly residents or citizens already.

Mike
Oh I see. I misunderstood. My apologies.

:namaste:

No_Mind
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

No problem. I didn't really explain the circumstances in my post...

Mike
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

mikenz66 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:44 pm No problem. I didn't really explain the circumstances in my post...

Mike
Mostly real buddhist who held right view will look forward to become monk and dont look for long term permanent relationship but if u looking for normal buddhist by birth not by understanding, then there will be many in eastern countries.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

So, when can we expect David to create the Dhamma for Singles website?
:D