Talks by Brahm about Divorce

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
grasshopper

Talks by Brahm about Divorce

Post by grasshopper »

Hi All,

Two of my colleagues, married to each other, are considering separation and divorce. Both of them are good friends of mine. Needless to say, I am really torn! It is the guy who has initiated this. I have had long one-on-one chats with both of them; and of course, I have suggested them to seek professional counseling. From what I can see and understand, neither of them are angry with each other or has betrayed the trust. Just that the guy no longer feels this is the right relationship for him. They have been together for 12 years or so, married for 7-ish.

Are there any good talks, ideally by Ajahn Brahm (but those of others are welcome!) that I could suggest them to listen to? They are not Buddhist but would be willing to listen.

Many thanks in advance.
ryanM

Re: Talks by Brahm about Divorce

Post by ryanM »

I guess I liked this talk enough to remember it.
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
grasshopper wrote:Are there any good talks, ideally by Ajahn Brahm (but those of others are welcome!) that I could suggest them to listen to? They are not Buddhist but would be willing to listen.
I'd be really wary of meddling in this space. Honestly, if someone has come to this decision, that's a pretty significant step in and of itself, and I'm sure they have their reasons why they're following this path...

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

While not from Ajahn Brahm or even a talk, On Love by Ajahn Jayasaro is an excellent read for anyone in or interested in romantic relationships, and it's quite short.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

Many thanks for your responses!
I'd be really wary of meddling in this space. Honestly, if someone has come to this decision, that's a pretty significant step in and of itself, and I'm sure they have their reasons why they're following this path...
I am not trying to meddle in it. The girl came to my office crying...and I was torn seeing her like that - completely emotionally devastated! As I know both of them reasonably well, I had to have a chat with them. I am no relationship-guru hence why I suggested them to seek professional counseling.
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

I'd have to second Retro. There is no reason not to be kind, but it is hard to know what is in other people's minds and hearts, and you can easily make things worse by trying to make them better.

Let people experience the results of their decisions. Beings are heir to their kamma and all that.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha