i am a woman but i like women - is it really bad?

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
wolf1

i am a woman but i like women - is it really bad?

Post by wolf1 »

forum mebers,

i am a woman but i like women. is it really bad? it seems like a bad karma since i often feel that i have a harder life than heterosexual persons, and if anybody is other than normal it can brings some difficulties in the person's life.
and since it is a bad karma then is gay and lesbian sex are bad to the mind - and makes the Path slower?
TheNoBSBuddhist

Re: i am a woman but i like women - is it really bad?

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

You are committing no transgression, nor offence against the Dhamma.

As far as i am aware - but I'm pretty sure I'm right - nowhere, in the Tripitaka does homosexual love contradict or fly against the Buddha's teachings.
Even an ordained person, who is homosexual, must be celibate, but this would in any event, cover any ordained members, no matter what their persuasion.

Please try to relax.
This isn't like a Theistic religion, where homosexuality is condemned and considered sinful.

Some Mahayana Schools declare it to be unskillful, and that homosexuals should refrain form intercourse, but this is more indicative of inserted dogma, and not an original teaching.

I await correction; but homosexuality is not covered by the 3rd precept, in any significant or specific manner, of this I am sure.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

Heterosexual desire and homosexual desire enjoy pretty much exactly the same kind of treatment in Buddhism.

I'll leave it to the non-lazy people in the forum to pull out the references for you. :tongue:
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
TheNoBSBuddhist

I like that....! I am non-lazy!

Read this article, in particular the pargraph headed "ancient India"...
He avoids unlawful sexual intercourse, abstains from it. He has no intercourse with girls who are still under the protection of father or mother, brother, sister, or relative; nor with married women, nor female convicts; nor lastly with betrothed girls.
Girls 'still under the protection of...." Would be those who are still under-age.
The remainder are self-explanatory.

Other than that - it's a big world out there, so don't worry....! :thumbsup:
Last edited by TheNoBSBuddhist on Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
wolf1

Post by wolf1 »

a teacher (i don't say name) told it to me that it is bad......
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

This article should give the relevant answers:

Homosexuality and Theravada Buddhism by A.L. de Silva
http://www.buddhanet.net/homosexu.htm

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
TheNoBSBuddhist

wolf1 wrote:a teacher (i don't say name) told it to me that it is bad......
Well in that case, the teacher's instruction to you, is not skillful:

This from the Link cooran posted:
As homosexuality is not explicitly mentioned in any of the Buddha's discourses (more than 20 volumes in the Pali Text Society's English translation), we can only assume that it is meant to be evaluated in the same way that heterosexuality is. And indeed it seems that this is why it is not specifically mentioned. In the case of the lay man and woman where there is mutual consent, where adultery is not involved and where the sexual act is an expression of love, respect, loyalty and warmth, it would not be breaking the third Precept. And it is the same when the two people are of the same gender. Likewise promiscuity, license and the disregard for the feelings of others would make a sexual act unskillful whether it be heterosexual or homosexual. All the principles we would use to evaluate a heterosexual relationship we would also use to evaluate a homosexual one. In Buddhism we could say that it is not the object of one's sexual desire that determines whether a sexual act is unskillful or not, but rather the quality of the emotions and intentions involved.
It's a good, scholarly and informative article.

Please don't feel guilty.
I personally am of the opinion that the teacher is most incorrect to admonish you in this way, or indicate that it is wrong. In doing so, it is possible this teacher is showing their own bias.

Hold on though:
Is it a Mahayana Teacher, or Theravada?

wolf1

Post by wolf1 »

Theravada.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

wolf1 wrote:forum mebers,

i am a woman but i like women. is it really bad? it seems like a bad karma since i often feel that i have a harder life than heterosexual persons, and if anybody is other than normal it can brings some difficulties in the person's life.
and since it is a bad karma then is gay and lesbian sex are bad to the mind - and makes the Path slower?
Why would it be bad? Do you intend to hurt other women? Or do you want love and sex as any other human being? As long as the people involved (two, or more) are consenting adults, it's no one's business to judge.

If there's any recomendation to practice celibacy, it's for the purpose of making the path easier, because there's not so much indulgence in desire and craving. In this respect, wether the sex is homosexual or heterosexual is irrelevant. And celibacy is not the norm for lay buddhists.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
martinfrank

Post by martinfrank »

(I am a gay man)

Lord Buddha taught how to end suffering. He taught a practice. If Lord Buddha gave the serial murderer Angulimalo a chance then why should you worry because you are a lesbian?

I have experienced that Buddhists monks generally are relaxed regarding sexual orientation. I have visited many Thai monasteris together with gay friends and never experienced an akward moment. There are many "ex-gay" monks and "ex-lesbian" nuns. "ex-gay" and "ex-lesbian" because monks and nuns are expected to lead a non-sexual and non-erotic life.

Heterosexual sex and homosexual sex are equally not contributing to liberation. Lord Buddha taught how to end suffering, not how to continue the human race.

Depending on the country and society you live in, some Buddhist monks, nuns and lay people may have prejudices against GLBT persons. Not because they are Buddhists, but because they are Chinese, Sinhalese, Thais, Burmese etc. None of us is only Buddhist, we are all conditioned by the country where we grew up.

I also was told by simple folks that bad karma causes one to be born gay. Being gay, I found love and happiness. What kind of bad karma is this? I had loving, educated, middle class parents. What kind of bad karma is this? Being gay forced me to start thinking for myself at an early age. Is this bad karma?

Heterosexuals too get born, get sick, get old, suffer and die. To be born blind is bad karma. To be born poor is bad karma. To be born with little intelligence is bad karma. Lord Buddha taught that to be born a human being and to hear the Teaching is a great chance. You must have lots and lots of good karma to be born today and having heard the Teaching. Let's use our chance and not worry about a little bad karma.

The Fourfold Path is neither longer nor shorter for you because you are a woman who loves women. Isn't being different forcing us to have the courage to be different not only in sexual orientation but also to meditate instead of watching TV, to eat vegetarian food... to be Buddhist and to be serious about it?

May all beings be happy!
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.
TheNoBSBuddhist

wolf1 wrote:Theravada.
Well in that case, I am accurate in my accounts. And Modus.Ponens puts it both succinctly and bang on the button.

You now have a choice:
Either tell this teacher that after extensive reading and research you find his opinion biased and flawed, or (perhaps more skillfully and wisely) be respectful, and completely ignore what he said on the matter.

Either way - hopefully, we have helped allay your fears.

wolf1

Post by wolf1 »

maybe. thanks. but he told to me that i did adultery in a past life and this is the reason.
LXNDR

Post by LXNDR »

the problem is clinging and attachment, not their object
TheNoBSBuddhist

I'm sorry, but I am calling BS on this.

And I'm the NoBS Buddhist.

How in heaven's name does he know??

And honestly, with everyone here telling you that he's wrong, giving you references, teachings and articles to PROVE to you that he is wrong - why are you still giving him any credence whatsoever??

Quit making excuses or putting forward reasons - He is wrong!!

Is he ordained..?

wolf1

Post by wolf1 »

HE IS A THERA MONK