Discussion of Nuclear Power and Safety

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Kim OHara

Re: Discussion of Nuclear Power and Safety

Post by Kim OHara » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:52 am

Here's that comparison of wind and solar prices - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -than-wind
(With thanks to Mkoll for posting it inthe climate change thread. :smile: )

:coffee:
Kim

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:47 am

The latest on Fukushima, just to keep you all up to date:
Radiation levels in the Fukushima reactor are soaring unexpectedly

Radiation is at its highest since the 2011 meltdown.
FIONA MACDONALD
4 FEB 2017

The radiation levels inside Japan's damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear reactor No. 2 have soared in recent weeks, reaching a maximum of 530 sieverts per hour, a number experts have called "unimaginable".

Radiation is now by far the highest it has been since the reactor was struck by a tsunami in March 2011 - and scientists are struggling to explain what's going on.

The previous maximum radiation level recorded in the reactor was 73 sieverts per hour, a reading taken not long after the meltdown almost six years ago. The levels are now more than seven times that amount.

Exactly what's causing the levels to creep upwards again is currently stumping the Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco). But the good news is that they say the radiation is safely contained within the reactor, so there's no risk to the greater population...
http://www.sciencealert.com/radiation-l ... U.facebook
They don't know what's going on but 'there's no risk'? Hmm.
:thinking:

:namaste:
Kim

samseva

Post by samseva » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:16 am

I have some pro-nuclear people saying nuclear is such a clean and cheap energy source. I have read this more than once and it blows my mind every time.

Turns out, the decommissioning of the Fukushima nuclear plants, in the upcoming years, will cost anywhere from 19 billion to 60 billion US $. And at the moment (the amount is considered optimist), it is estimated that the Fukushima meltdown will cost approximately 180 billion US $ total. This is only for the Fukushima meltdown—it isn't even counting the losses from the decrease in tourism and foreign investment, which are probably both very high.

Source: Japan Fukushima nuclear plant 'clean-up costs double - BBC

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:52 am

samseva wrote:I have some pro-nuclear people saying nuclear is such a clean and cheap energy source. I have read this more than once and it blows my mind every time.

Turns out, the decommissioning of the Fukushima nuclear plants, in the upcoming years, will cost anywhere from 19 billion to 60 billion US $. And at the moment (the amount is considered optimist), it is estimated that the Fukushima meltdown will cost approximately 180 billion US $ total. This is only for the Fukushima meltdown—it isn't even counting the losses from the decrease in tourism and foreign investment, which are probably both very high.

Source: Japan Fukushima nuclear plant 'clean-up costs double - BBC
Yes - in purely economic terms (not worrying about health effects, environmental impacts, social impacts or any of that notoriously fuzzy greenie garbage :tongue: but just the cold hard facts :rolleye: ) nuclear power is a poor proposition. It's far from the cheapest power source even when everything goes well, and when something like this happens the whole industry goes :toilet: .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_e ... urce#Japan

Kim

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:04 am

Nature abhors a vacuum, they say ... and scary things can move in:
Wild boars offer challenge for returning residents in radiation-hit Fukushima

Beyond radiation risks, an unexpected nuisance looms for residents returning to Japan's towns vacated after the Fukushima nuclear crisis six years ago — wild boars.
Hundreds of the animals, which have been known to attack people when enraged, descended from surrounding hills and forests into towns left deserted after the 2011 disaster.
Now they roam the empty streets and overgrown backyards ...
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-09/w ... ma/8339498

What next? Giant mutant feral pigs spreading across the paddy fields? :twisted:

Kim

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:46 am

Good news:
Japan’s atomic power establishment is in shock following the court ruling on Friday that found the state and the operator of the Fukushima nuclear plant liable for failing to take preventive measures against the tsunami that crippled the facility.
...Judges in the Maebashi District Court in Gunma prefecture ruled that Tokyo Electric Power Co. (Tepco) and the government were aware of the earthquake and tsunami risks to the Fukushima Daiichi plant prior to the 2011 triple reactor meltdown, but failed to take preventative measures.
...Tepco is already a de facto bankrupt, has been effectively nationalized and now faces the unprecedented challenges of how to remove three melted reactors at the Fukushima plant.
Six years after the disaster it still faces unanswered questions about the precise causes of the accident, questions that have generated public opposition to Tepco restarting reactors at another plant in Kashiwazki-kariwa in Niigata prefecture, on the opposite coastline to Fukushima.
Beside the court ruling being yet another blow to Tepco’s efforts to recover from the Fukushima nuclear disaster, the judgement will be highly disruptive to plans by the government and utilities to restart nuclear reactors in Japan...
http://www.atimes.com/article/japan-cou ... ty-ruling/

:coffee:
Kim

Edit - fixed formatting :embarassed:

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:20 am

The latest on the clean-up:
Images captured by an underwater robot on Saturday showed massive deposits believed to be melted nuclear fuel covering the floor of a damaged reactor at Japan’s destroyed Fukushima nuclear plant.

The robot found large amounts of solidified lava-like rocks and lumps in layers as thick as 1m on the bottom inside a main structure called the pedestal that sits underneath the core inside the primary containment vessel of Fukushima’s Unit 3 reactor, said the plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co. ...

Locating and analysing the fuel debris and damage in each of the plant’s three wrecked reactors is crucial for decommissioning the plant. The search for melted fuel in the two other reactors has so far been unsuccessful because of damage and extremely high radiation levels. ...
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... clear-fuel

:toilet:
Kim

Roz

Post by Roz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:54 am

Mkoll wrote:There are tons of Fukushima conspiracy theories all over the internet that have been ongoing since the disaster. These things have a tendency to percolate into people's minds if they become unwary and don't check their sources. And of course this happens all the time.
Conspiracy theories? :roll:
In June 2012 S. David Freeman, the former head of the Southern California Public Power Authority and "a longtime anti-nuclear voice", described San Onofre and Diablo Canyon as "disasters waiting to happen: aging, unreliable reactors sitting near earthquake fault zones on the fragile Pacific Coast, with millions of Californians living nearby"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Onofr ... ng_Station

chownah

Post by chownah » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:00 am

They don't even know what that stuff is!!! They have to analyze it so they can figure out what it is.....and then after they know what it is they are going to have to figure out how to remove it.....and then after they figure out how to remove it they are going to have to figure out what to do with it....and than after what they decide to do with it (please, please, don't dump it into the ocean which was mentioned as the preferred method in a new article a few months ago) and they find out that their method is leaking they will have to figure out how to fix their storage method. I want to point out that it is very very likely that this stuff they have found will be the long lived type of radioactive material and will have to be stored for centuries if not millenia.....

Will people learn from this? There is still talk about building more.

If I was the head of some rogue regime (North Korea?) and had missiles that could reach america (coming soon) I think a likely target would be nuclear power plants. One lucky shot could paralyze an entire section of the west coast.....with a nuclear weapon you wouldn't even have to be exactly on target.....just being close would be good enough.
chownah

Roz

Post by Roz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:14 am

Since the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository plan was terminated in 2008, nuclear waste will have to be stored on site in San Onofre until Congress finds another location for a nuclear waste repository.

SONG´s nuclear waste is in steel-lined concrete pools known as wet storage. According to the NRC, nuclear waste must sit in these pools for about 5 years in order to cool. It then must be transferred into a more permanent, dry storage, consisting of 80 underground steel lined concrete monoliths.
SCE decided on Holtec International to design the dry storage canisters. The canisters will be five-eighths of an inch thick compared to most canisters in the U.S. being half of an inch thick. These steel-lined concrete monoliths right next to the Pacific Ocean exceed California’s earthquake requirements and Edison says they are designed to withstand fire and tsunamis.

The canisters are prone to cracking mainly because of chloride-induced, stress-corrosion from being close to the ocean. The canisters cannot be inspected for cracks. Kris Singh, president and CEO of Holtec, says that they are working on developing inspection methods, but that even if cracks could be detected, there is no way to repair them.

:roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aK6JnyFmk

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:35 am

Roz wrote:
Mkoll wrote:There are tons of Fukushima conspiracy theories all over the internet that have been ongoing since the disaster. These things have a tendency to percolate into people's minds if they become unwary and don't check their sources. And of course this happens all the time.
Conspiracy theories? :roll:
In June 2012 S. David Freeman, the former head of the Southern California Public Power Authority and "a longtime anti-nuclear voice", described San Onofre and Diablo Canyon as "disasters waiting to happen: aging, unreliable reactors sitting near earthquake fault zones on the fragile Pacific Coast, with millions of Californians living nearby"

Uhm, OK? Your point in quoting a post I made more than 3 years ago...?
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:14 am

Nuclear plants in Hurricane Irma's path are shutting down

Two Florida nuclear power plants in the path of Hurricane Irma are shutting down to brace for the Category 5 storm's devastating wind and rain.

Florida Power & Light announced on Thursday it will shut down the Turkey Point and St. Lucie nuclear plants ahead of Irma's expected arrival this weekend. The two facilities are Florida's only operating nuclear power plants. Both are on Florida's Atlantic Coast, which is bracing to get hit very hard by Irma's ferocious winds.

"This is an extremely dangerous storm," Rob Gould, chief communications officer at Florida Power & Light, told reporters. ...
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/investi ... index.html

Kim

SDC

Post by SDC » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:23 am

Kim OHara wrote:
Nuclear plants in Hurricane Irma's path are shutting down

Two Florida nuclear power plants in the path of Hurricane Irma are shutting down to brace for the Category 5 storm's devastating wind and rain.

Florida Power & Light announced on Thursday it will shut down the Turkey Point and St. Lucie nuclear plants ahead of Irma's expected arrival this weekend. The two facilities are Florida's only operating nuclear power plants. Both are on Florida's Atlantic Coast, which is bracing to get hit very hard by Irma's ferocious winds.

"This is an extremely dangerous storm," Rob Gould, chief communications officer at Florida Power & Light, told reporters. ...
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/investi ... index.html

Kim
The storm is now likely to track up the Gulf coast which will spell out to anywhere from 5 to 15 less feet of a storm surge along the Atlantic coast than was predicted by the American weather models last week. A cat 3 now, but probably back up to 4 by the time the eye is over Naples and she begins to weaken (doubtful it will ever be a cat 5 again). Hopefully those plants will be fine as a result.

Not trying to sound like a weather nerd or anything, just that my sister (and much of my extended family) lives in Tampa and are preparing for a direct hit, so I have been following the storm closely.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:19 pm

SDC wrote:...Not trying to sound like a weather nerd or anything, just that my sister (and much of my extended family) lives in Tampa and are preparing for a direct hit, so I have been following the storm closely.
I've lived in a cyclone-prone city for the last twenty-plus years, long enough to know how serious they are can be and how unpredictable they always are. "Following the storm closely" becomes almost compulsive when you know what they are like. I hope your family are okay.

Kim

SDC

Post by SDC » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:50 am

Kim OHara wrote:
SDC wrote:...Not trying to sound like a weather nerd or anything, just that my sister (and much of my extended family) lives in Tampa and are preparing for a direct hit, so I have been following the storm closely.
I've lived in a cyclone-prone city for the last twenty-plus years, long enough to know how serious they are can be and how unpredictable they always are. "Following the storm closely" becomes almost compulsive when you know what they are like. I hope your family are okay.

Kim
Thanks, Kim. They all lost power, but the surge in Tampa was not nearly as bad.