Should starbucks allow non- customers to use restrooms and seating?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.

Should starbucks allow non- customers to use restrooms and seating?

1. absolutely they should. Starbucks is a public place.
16%
2.No. toilets and seating should be for paying customers.
26%
3. If they are not busy, it is fine. But it seens unfair if paying customers cant get a seat or have to lineup for the toilet while it is being used by non- customers.
37%
4. yes. and starbucks should also provide simple beds and showers so that homeless people have a refuge
21%

Total votes: 19

lyndon taylor

Re: Should starbucks allow non- customers to use restrooms and seating?

Post by lyndon taylor » Fri May 25, 2018 11:09 pm

What a fantasy!!!! Full employment LOL!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Fri May 25, 2018 11:37 pm

i guess some would even deny bathroom access to a monk that's not allowed to carry money??
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri May 25, 2018 11:57 pm

Greetings Lyndon,
lyndon taylor wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:37 pm
i guess some would even deny bathroom access to a monk that's not allowed to carry money??
Some would.

Why would you expect otherwise when the world is neither a commune, a family, nor a Sangha?

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest » Sat May 26, 2018 1:06 am

It is official policy to ensure that amenities are available to everyone with or without paying for anything. This is a result of people trying to pretend otherwise.

The moral question has been answered.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sat May 26, 2018 5:54 am

Why is Starbucks being singled out .. is any shop on main street now liable to throw open their restroom to passers by? Is a luxury hotel on main street liable to allow their lobby and restroom to be used by anyone and everyone?

How many homeless people do you provide shelter at your home that you lecture a business about their ethics regarding treatment of the homeless.

This "what about the poor" screech that I hear in DW is puzzling.

There have always been poor people .. from the time civilisation began .. the poor always get a raw deal ..

Poverty and how to deal with it's side effects (e.g. homelessness) is the most difficult question faced by mankind and no economic system in history has been able to address it satisfactorily.

Can we help them out at times .. yes .. like David once recounted allowing couple of homeless to sleep in the lobby of his house due to inclement weather .. but can David let that happen daily .. of course not

I asked this very question in the post "Suffering of others" viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31694

But got vaguest replies possible.

As long as we live we shall be confronted by suffering of others .. what is our duty?

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

binocular

Post by binocular » Sat May 26, 2018 7:41 am

Wizard in the Forest wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 1:06 am
It is official policy to ensure that amenities are available to everyone with or without paying for anything.
Where??

You don't even have to go to some godforsaken sub-Saharan African country to see that there is no such official policy. Instead, try Venice, Italy.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sat May 26, 2018 8:00 am

Greetings,
binocular wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:41 am
Where??
Starbucks USA.

They have an interesting history in recent years of pandering to the left, which rather than placating them, seems to incentivise them to make ever more egregious demands upon the organization.

Many non-leftists no longer frequent Starbucks due to their policies and promotions.

Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

robertk

Post by robertk » Sat May 26, 2018 8:18 am

Why is Starbucks being singled out .. is any shop on main street now liable to throw open their restroom to passers by? Is a luxury hotel on main street liable to allow their lobby and restroom to be used by anyone and everyone
Starbucks is singled out as they have a firm policy - announced to great fanfare recently- that their restrooms are open to the public. Many hope that this will be taken up by such establishments as you mention.

In Japan, where I lived for 12 years I was a bit taken back when going to some Izakaya's (kind of basic restaurants ) that if they were busy they would state quite bluntly, as you entered, that 1 hour was the maximum time allowed. I felt like saying I could only stand 45 minutes anyway.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sat May 26, 2018 8:20 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:00 am
Starbucks USA.

They have an interesting history in recent years of pandering to the left, which rather than placating them, seems to incentivise them to make ever more egregious demands upon the organization.

Many non-leftists no longer frequent Starbucks due to their policies and promotions.

Metta,
Uh .. in USA, now one chooses a cafe depending on one's political views? Oh ..

USA has indeed changed. And that too before I had a chance to visit it :(

Will keep any foreign travel in coming years restricted to Italy, Greece, Istanbul, Egypt and The Holy Land .. rather pointless to visit the West .. it has gone in a weird direction .. cultural Marxism is slowly eating it from inside.

Will never get to see the land of Douglas McArthur and Neil Armstrong .. hmm

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sat May 26, 2018 8:26 am

No_Mind wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 5:54 am
Why is Starbucks being singled out ..
Because it's symbolic of American imperialism. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

binocular

Post by binocular » Sat May 26, 2018 8:29 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:00 am
Oh well. AFAIK, Starbucks is rather pricey, and I thought that would be the major factor in who goes there or not.

I also think that if some relatively pricey establishments would have such a liberal policy (free amenities) here in central Europe, it wouldn't make much of a difference. It is my impression that people here "know their place" in socio-economic terms and would not go somewhere where they don't belong (ie. for where they are too poor).

binocular

Post by binocular » Sat May 26, 2018 8:31 am

No_Mind wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:20 am
It's not like you have the money for that anyway. :tongue: :(
And the money that you do have would probably be better spent on other things. :smile:

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sat May 26, 2018 8:35 am

binocular wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:31 am
No_Mind wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:20 am
It's not like you have the money for that anyway. :tongue: :(
And the money that you do have would probably be better spent on other things. :smile:
What leads you to that conclusion? Can you somehow magically peer into my bank account? I live frugally .. does not mean .. I cannot afford a flight to Athens which costs INR 20,000 or $300

binocular

Post by binocular » Sat May 26, 2018 8:40 am

Athens, Georgia, US; or Athens, Greece?

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sat May 26, 2018 8:44 am

binocular wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:40 am
Athens, Georgia, US; or Athens, Greece?
I don't think the good people here are interested in my travel plans.

:focus: