Bangkok's death cafe

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
paul
Posts: 1095
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 11:27 pm
Location: Vietnam

Bangkok's death cafe

Post by paul » Sat May 19, 2018 9:12 pm

Recollection of death has Deathlessness as its goal and object- "Three minutes later, they appear shaken, stirred, terrified, relieved or blissful ":
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

SarathW
Posts: 9403
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Bangkok's death cafe

Post by SarathW » Sat May 19, 2018 11:09 pm

It sounds like a good idea.
What are the draw backs?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Saengnapha
Posts: 1193
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 am

Re: Bangkok's death cafe

Post by Saengnapha » Sun May 20, 2018 4:13 am

paul wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:12 pm
Recollection of death has Deathlessness as its goal and object- "Three minutes later, they appear shaken, stirred, terrified, relieved or blissful ":
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html
How's the coffee?

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 3806
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Bangkok's death cafe

Post by Sam Vara » Sun May 20, 2018 7:38 am

We have lots of these "Death Cafes" in the UK, some permanent, some temporary "pop-up". None as far as I know are specifically Buddhist, but Buddhist ideas and insights would probably be welcomed.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... bout-dying

User avatar
binocular
Posts: 5405
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Bangkok's death cafe

Post by binocular » Sun May 20, 2018 9:09 am

SarathW wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:09 pm
It sounds like a good idea.
What are the draw backs?
I think such explicit exhortations to think and speak about a potentially delicate topic leads mostly to massive denial, so in the end, such efforts to make people think and talk about death lead to even more denial or superficiality in regard to the topic, paradoxically.
Saengnapha wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:13 am
paul wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:12 pm
Recollection of death has Deathlessness as its goal and object- "Three minutes later, they appear shaken, stirred, terrified, relieved or blissful ":
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html
How's the coffee?
Meh. Death has been good business for a long time.

User avatar
binocular
Posts: 5405
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Bangkok's death cafe

Post by binocular » Sun May 20, 2018 9:13 am

paul wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:12 pm
Recollection of death has Deathlessness as its goal and object- "Three minutes later, they appear shaken, stirred, terrified, relieved or blissful ":
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html
The idea is problematic from the onset, as long as we hold that Buddhism is not a missionary religion seeking to convert people.
As long as Buddhism is regarded as the religion only for those who have "little dust in their eyes", such cafes and death experiments are bound to have a random, accidental success at best.
Last edited by binocular on Sun May 20, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

SarathW
Posts: 9403
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Bangkok's death cafe

Post by SarathW » Sun May 20, 2018 9:14 am

such efforts to make people think and talk about death lead to even more denial
I see your point.
It takes the shock value out of death.
We all will be like combat soldiers.
Death becomes another number.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

SarathW
Posts: 9403
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Bangkok's death cafe

Post by SarathW » Sun May 20, 2018 9:36 am

Actually, this raises an interesting question.
Why can't a combat soldier contemplate on death?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Saengnapha
Posts: 1193
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 am

Re: Bangkok's death cafe

Post by Saengnapha » Sun May 20, 2018 9:44 am

binocular wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:13 am
paul wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:12 pm
Recollection of death has Deathlessness as its goal and object- "Three minutes later, they appear shaken, stirred, terrified, relieved or blissful ":
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html
The idea is problematic from the onset, as long as we hold that Buddhism is not a missionary religion seeking to convert people.
As long as Buddhism is regarded as the religion only for those who have "little dust in their eyes", such cafes and death experiments are bound to have a random, accidental success at best.
Do you hold that Buddhism is not a missionary religion?

User avatar
binocular
Posts: 5405
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Bangkok's death cafe

Post by binocular » Sun May 20, 2018 10:09 am

Saengnapha wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:44 am
Do you hold that Buddhism is not a missionary religion?
Given how many times I've been told, with missionary zeal (!) that it's not a missionary religion: Yes.

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 11655
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Bangkok's death cafe

Post by DNS » Sun May 20, 2018 6:52 pm

binocular wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:09 am
Saengnapha wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:44 am
Do you hold that Buddhism is not a missionary religion?
Given how many times I've been told, with missionary zeal (!) that it's not a missionary religion: Yes.
Were you told that (it is not a missionary religion) mostly from Western Buddhists or Asian Buddhists?

I imagine it was most likely from convert Western Buddhists. Many of the Western Buddhists came from the missionary religion of Christianity and were turned off from that shove-it-down-your-throat approach of missionaries so molded modern Buddhism to something opposed to that.

santa100
Posts: 2930
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: Bangkok's death cafe

Post by santa100 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:39 pm

Actually, this raises an interesting question.
Why can't a combat soldier contemplate on death?
He can and he does. But it's a tiny bit different between the kind of contemplation done in the deadly heat of the jungle while staring down the gun nozzle of an enemy combatant 20 yards away versus that which is done on a nice comfy chair with a warm cozy cup of coffee..

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 11655
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Bangkok's death cafe

Post by DNS » Sun May 20, 2018 9:15 pm

santa100 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:39 pm
Actually, this raises an interesting question.
Why can't a combat soldier contemplate on death?
He can and he does. But it's a tiny bit different between the kind of contemplation done in the deadly heat of the jungle while staring down the gun nozzle of an enemy combatant 20 yards away versus that which is done on a nice comfy chair with a warm cozy cup of coffee..
WW2 saying,
There are no atheists in foxholes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_are ... n_foxholes

A Buddhist version of that could be contemplation of death, meditation, and/or praying to Amitabha or other devas (in the face of death).

Some atheists have countered that, "There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes", as the mental state, or decisions, of an extremely frightened and desperate person can hardly be imagined to be more rational than those of a person in a calm state."

SarathW
Posts: 9403
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Bangkok's death cafe

Post by SarathW » Sun May 20, 2018 9:31 pm

There are no atheists in foxholes
I can relate to this.
Before I became seriously study Buddhism, I was praying to god when my plain was going through a turbulence.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
budo
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am
Location: Canada

Re: Bangkok's death cafe

Post by budo » Sun May 20, 2018 11:16 pm

I think it's pointless. Either people are interested in Buddhism or not. If they are they'll research it on their own and wouldn't need a 'death cafe', if they're not interested in Buddhism then a 'death cafe' won't do anything for them. It's a money grab fad at best.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests