Yesterday Trump Called Latinos "Animals"

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Kamran

Yesterday Trump Called Latinos "Animals"

Post by Kamran » Thu May 17, 2018 3:05 pm

When a President calls Latinos “animals” its not just the use of an ugly epithet.

It is not merely impolite.

It is a call to mistreat the class of people so designated, to fear them and blame them and ultimately to seek to wipe them out.

'These aren't people. These are animals.'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-blasts ... 41856.html
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

Sam Vara

Re: Yesterday Trump Called Latinos "Animals"

Post by Sam Vara » Thu May 17, 2018 3:34 pm

Kamran wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:05 pm
When a President calls Latinos “animals” its not just the use of an ugly epithet.

It is not merely impolite.

It is a call to mistreat the class of people so designated, to fear them and blame them and ultimately to seek to wipe them out.

'These aren't people. These are animals.'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-blasts ... 41856.html
Intemperate language to be sure, but your post refers to "Latinos". I thought he had just referred to the entire Latin-American world, including those resident in the USA, as "animals".

But in the link you provide, it says that he used the term to refer to some illegal immigrants, who were alleged to be gang members. That's a tiny sub-set of a tiny sub-set. He's called white Americans animals before. For him, it's an equal opportunities epithet, and doesn't seem to have much to do with ethnicity or country of origin. Maybe not Right Speech, but not as newsworthy as I thought.

SDC

Post by SDC » Thu May 17, 2018 3:45 pm

Kamran wrote:
Hi Kamran,

From now on can you put your breaking news updates on Trump into Potus 2017. It is an ongoing thread about Trump and his presidency and we don't need countless individual threads about him. Bear in mind you can title posts whatever you like - just in case you were concerned about lack of emphasis. Thank you.

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Thu May 17, 2018 4:32 pm

SDC wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:45 pm
Kamran wrote:
Hi Kamran,

From now on can you put your breaking news updates on Trump into Potus 2017. It is an ongoing thread about Trump and his presidency and we don't need countless individual threads about him. Bear in mind you can title posts whatever you like - just in case you were concerned about lack of emphasis. Thank you.
Sure SDC, thanks.

But anyone that listens to Trump knows that he tars all of them with the brush of gang violence ( i.e. he's sure "a few Mexicans might be good people" ).

I believe Trump is knowledgeable and skilled in using fascist tactics.

Creating a category of "sub-human" so he can treat them as sub-humans.

There are no sub-humans. All human beings have the same rights.
"Silence gives answers"

SDC

Post by SDC » Thu May 17, 2018 4:39 pm

Yeah, he's trash.

Thanks for understanding, Kamran.

mario92

Post by mario92 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:10 pm

I think he is member of Kkk.
Good morning, have a nice day

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Thu May 17, 2018 5:22 pm

Don't take this the wrong way, but what I find most disturbing is that I doubt he has any coherent belief system, however odious, other than narcissism. That includes his playing to reactionary racists and xenophobes as political self-interest. Remember only a few years ago he was a committed liberal. In my view, that is worse, because he doesn't even have a warped and misguided sense of morality (fascism)-- he has no morality at all.

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Thu May 17, 2018 6:01 pm

dharmacorps wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:22 pm
Don't take this the wrong way, but what I find most disturbing is that I doubt he has any coherent belief system, however odious, other than narcissism. That includes his playing to reactionary racists and xenophobes as political self-interest. Remember only a few years ago he was a committed liberal. In my view, that is worse, because he doesn't even have a warped and misguided sense of morality (fascism)-- he has no morality at all.
I agree. He recognizes a malleable segment of the population he can use to get power for himself.

Trump never believed that Obama wasn't American or Muslim but he knew how to use that to get committed die hard fanatic supporters.

Same with the white supremacists.

He wants to have the capability to unleash brown shirt style violence as leverage.
"Silence gives answers"

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Thu May 17, 2018 6:42 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:34 pm
Intemperate language to be sure, but your post refers to "Latinos". I thought he had just referred to the entire Latin-American world, including those resident in the USA, as "animals".

But in the link you provide, it says that he used the term to refer to some illegal immigrants, who were alleged to be gang members. That's a tiny sub-set of a tiny sub-set. He's called white Americans animals before. For him, it's an equal opportunities epithet, and doesn't seem to have much to do with ethnicity or country of origin. Maybe not Right Speech, but not as newsworthy as I thought.
Oh dear!

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu May 17, 2018 7:54 pm

Greetings,

As has been mentioned above by Sam Vara, he was speaking of MS-13 gang members.

The fact Trump was referring to MS-13 is obvious to anyone not deliberately and wilfully trying to distort reality. Even those who don't want to admit their anti-Trump bias must face the truth in time...

Now, if people want to have their little fantasy land circle-jerk where they believe what they want to believe about "Drumpf", and assume and insist the worst then I guess they will. As Taylor Swift said, "the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate"... but I'd have thought those who value Right Speech, Right View, Right Intention, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness and such would want to do better than to dwell in hate, aversion and ignorance for another 6-7 years. Up to you guys, but I don't think you're going to impact Trump as you burn yourself with hate, aversion and false words. Better to practice Satipatthana and be, at least, a non-returner by then.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Thu May 17, 2018 8:46 pm

If the media and liberals want to defend MS-13, they're more than welcome to. Frankly, I don't think the term @POTUS used was strong enough... It took an animal to stab a man 100 times and decapitate him and rip his heart out.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Thu May 17, 2018 9:11 pm

Mr Man wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:42 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:34 pm

Oh dear!
I sense mild distress on your part, Mr. Man, but can't work out what it refers to. Could you elaborate a bit?

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Fri May 18, 2018 1:09 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:54 pm
Greetings,

As has been mentioned above by Sam Vara, he was speaking of MS-13 gang members.
I think its good that Trump is president because it brings truths about the US to light.

And I don't think he is racist, actually.

He's an amoral opportunist.

But the vast majority of American youth, the next generation, are so ashamed and disgusted with not only Trump, but with what his Presidency says about American society.

And have you seen the latino demographic trends ? Espero que hable espanol amigo :)
"Silence gives answers"

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri May 18, 2018 2:49 am

Greetings Kamran,
Kamran wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:09 am
But the vast majority of American youth, the next generation, are so ashamed and disgusted with not only Trump, but with what his Presidency says about American society.
Interesting. The blatantly fraudulent basis upon which this topic was initiated has been fully exposed, so you simply move onto yet another round of Trump bashing?

:zzz:
Kamran wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:09 am
And have you seen the latino demographic trends ?
The highest rate of hispanic employment on record? Yes, I know about that... good, isn't it?

Yet I'm sure despite this impressive achievement, if it suits your political persuasion, you'll start more of your inane race-baiting topics, so as to keep people divided and mired in papanca and identity-based grievances.

Metta (is universal, not obsessed with race),
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata » Fri May 18, 2018 4:24 am

I agree with Paul here. I think trump is an incompetent human being, and shouldn't be put in charge of anything. But fabricating and embellishing to try and discredit him is actually legitimizing him.

There are plenty of things to critisized him on, yet the media does this.

The problem is that the left attacks trump from the right, not the left. They don't even as speak about or pursue left wing issues anymore. My assumption is that it's because they really aren't that far apart when it comes down to it. They just want their team to be in the lead.
The furniture may be exquisite,
And the bars of solid gold,
But once the bird realizes that the cage is a cage,
It finds within that cage
No joy

- Ajahn Jayasaro