VIDEO: White woman calls police on Blacks having a BBQ at the lake.

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Kamran

VIDEO: White woman calls police on Blacks having a BBQ at the lake.

Post by Kamran » Sun May 13, 2018 6:49 am

"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

Kamran

Re: VIDEO: White woman calls police on Blacks having a BBQ at the lake.

Post by Kamran » Sun May 13, 2018 8:02 am

rightviewftw wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:29 am
seems like they were actually breaking the rules using a charcoal grill...
http://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/fami ... 1170499558
rename it to woman harassed for enforcing park policy?
Hi RightView,

The black family checked the map and it showed that its a bbq area, and they had been bbqing there for many years.

The municipal code had something about charcoal type grills not being allowed, but would you do something like this?

Why would anyone go so far out of their way (she harassed this poor for two hours) to ruin the day at the park for a nice black family?do

She was being very unkind that day.

If you had to guess, who would you think she voted for ?
"Silence gives answers"

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Sun May 13, 2018 8:10 am

I naturally assume that she would be enforcing the park rules if those were white people as well... I have absolutely no reason to believe otherwise based on the information derived from the video. Some people like to enforce rules. I think the way people reacted is horrible tbh, she did end up crying... She was right all along as far as rules were concerned and there was absolutely nothing racist about her behavior.

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Sun May 13, 2018 2:53 pm

There have been a number of similar situations in the US in the past several weeks alone.

White woman calls police on two Native American students she didn't think belonged on a college tour; white woman calls police on a black student who fell asleep in a common room on Yale campus; manager of a Starbucks in Philly calls the cops to throw out two black men who were waiting for another person; three black guests at an Airbnb in California were briefly detained by police after a neighbor called authorities as they were preparing to leave the house - police said that the neighbor called because the guests didn't wave or smile at her as they were leaving.

These are just the most recent examples; it goes on and on. Being a person of color in America is apparently just cause for suspicion. Young black men are arrested for "walking while black." Sad but all too common.

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Sun May 13, 2018 7:31 pm

Justsit wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:53 pm
There have been a number of similar situations in the US in the past several weeks alone.

White woman calls police on two Native American students she didn't think belonged on a college tour; white woman calls police on a black student who fell asleep in a common room on Yale campus; manager of a Starbucks in Philly calls the cops to throw out two black men who were waiting for another person; three black guests at an Airbnb in California were briefly detained by police after a neighbor called authorities as they were preparing to leave the house - police said that the neighbor called because the guests didn't wave or smile at her as they were leaving.

These are just the most recent examples; it goes on and on. Being a person of color in America is apparently just cause for suspicion. Young black men are arrested for "walking while black." Sad but all too common.
It is normal that concerned people call the police when people do not comply with rules and ignore one when being admonished.

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Sun May 13, 2018 7:50 pm

This incident happened right where I live. There has been an ongoing debate about where and when it is legal to BBQ in Oakland by the lake. To be honest, people of all types basically BBQ where ever they want but there is a vocal minority of people who have a problem with it-- I can't say that black people aren't targeted because they very well may be. Because Oakland has a severely strapped police force with many fewer officers in it than it needs, the police really don't usually respond to calls like this, so it was surprising in this instance that they did. Yes, people do drink and BBQ and party, but it is largely a very family friendly and fun environment. I am somewhat surprised this became a nationwide story though.

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Sun May 13, 2018 9:09 pm

rightviewftw wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:31 pm
It is normal that concerned people call the police when people do not comply with rules and ignore one when being admonished.
But what about when the people do comply with the rules and the police are called anyway, as in the cases I mentioned?

Is that supposed to be normal too?

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Sun May 13, 2018 11:34 pm

rightviewftw wrote:
rightviewftw,

Have you ever driven 5 miles over the speed limit ?

What if someone decided to follow you home while calling the police that a "criminal" has broken the law ? Then stood outside your house for 2 hours while waiting for the police to arrive.

I'm sure this black family has all the stress and difficulties in life that we all have and they were just trying to relax and peacefully enjoy the lake as a family.

I think we all make these types of trifling mistakes on a daily basis and should be understanding and compassionate towards each other, rather than being mean spirited and intolerant.
"Silence gives answers"

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Mon May 14, 2018 1:11 am

Justsit wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:09 pm
rightviewftw wrote:
But what about when the people do comply with the rules and the police are called anyway, as in the cases I mentioned?

Is that supposed to be normal too?
That would not be normal at all but in the cases you mentioned that was not established, you did not really explain what happened. Loosely describing the situation is not enough to pass a judgement one way or another.
Kamran wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:34 pm
rightviewftw wrote:
rightviewftw,

Have you ever driven 5 miles over the speed limit ?

What if someone decided to follow you home while calling the police that a "criminal" has broken the law ? Then stood outside your house for 2 hours while waiting for the police to arrive.

I'm sure this black family has all the stress and difficulties in life that we all have and they were just trying to relax and peacefully enjoy the lake as a family.

I think we all make these types of trifling mistakes on a daily basis and should be understanding and compassionate towards each other, rather than being mean spirited and intolerant.
I think we can all agree that the woman was complaining over a trifling matter. Supposedly foreseeing the danger in people dumping used charcoal in a dumpster and the trash catching fire or similar events, which would be an annoyance and inconvenience for people in the park.

I personally would not complain if i saw people doing it but some people would apparently complain. Nobody likes being admonished by strangers over trifling matters but the standard thing is to comply if admonished.

I think the way people are reacting to her making the remark is a lot worse and I think that had those people not been black this would never make the news.

It is not like white people do not get reproached for loitering or not complying with banal regulations in public places.

It could be racially motivated but it is not apparently so, actually that is not something probable, what is apparent is that she was kind of bitch to put it in simple terms.

Of course if one assumes that all republican voters are racist then one could think that...

I think the fact that those guys were clearly breaking rules, did not care to comply when being admonished by a concerned citizen and on top of that were defended by a 3rd party is quite amazing. Even if she was the most racist person ever this outcome is not what one would expect.

Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata » Mon May 14, 2018 1:44 am

rightviewftw wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:10 am
I naturally assume that she would be enforcing the park rules if those were white people as well... I have absolutely no reason to believe otherwise based on the information derived from the video. Some people like to enforce rules. I think the way people reacted is horrible tbh, she did end up crying... She was right all along as far as rules were concerned and there was absolutely nothing racist about her behavior.
Do you live in America?
The furniture may be exquisite,
And the bars of solid gold,
But once the bird realizes that the cage is a cage,
It finds within that cage
No joy

- Ajahn Jayasaro

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Mon May 14, 2018 1:46 am

Idappaccayata wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:44 am
rightviewftw wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:10 am
Do you live in America?
Nope.

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Mon May 14, 2018 2:44 am

Its a politically charged environment.

To call the police in that scenario could have easily provoked violence.

Perhaps that was the goal ?
"Silence gives answers"

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Mon May 14, 2018 3:30 am

you know where you can find behavior that may well be called racist? in prisons. Why don't you rather focus on that? There you have clear cases of racial segregation, discrimination and all kinds of racisms. If you are looking for in-group preference and out-group violence, look no further. There you have blacks being racist, whites being racist, hispanics being racist:) I won't be surprised if you can find uncharted kinds of racism in there.

I think people are getting distracted from real political issues like the disappearance of the middle class, debt, inflation, corruption in the religious institutions etc... Not to mention distraction from meditation.

If one takes off the racial tensions hat and reads the title of this thread it becomes quite rediculous.
Last edited by rightviewftw on Mon May 14, 2018 4:09 am, edited 4 times in total.