VIDEO: White woman calls police on Blacks having a BBQ at the lake.

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
lyndon taylor

Re: VIDEO: White woman calls police on Blacks having a BBQ at the lake.

Post by lyndon taylor » Mon May 14, 2018 10:19 am

I see racism on Dhammawheel and that makes me sad!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Mon May 14, 2018 10:20 am

"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

JiWe2

Post by JiWe2 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:16 pm

Kamran wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:02 am
The municipal code had something about charcoal type grills not being allowed, but would you do something like this?
No, I wouldn't. But if I wanted charcoal bbq I'd try to use a place where charcoal bbq is allowed. And if I wasn't aware of the rules and regulations and someone mentioned them to me, I'd rather try to correct my mistake than shoot the messenger.

Posting this silly little thing on Youtube, now almost one million views and thousands of comments ridiculing that white woman? I wouldn't do that to anyone.

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Mon May 14, 2018 2:42 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:45 am
Greetings,
lyndon taylor wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:10 am
If you deny the racism, you're part of the problem!!
If you see racism in anything and everything, you might just be a 21st century Democrat.

:focus:

Metta,
Paul. :)
I agree the racism card may be getting overblown in US. It was just an unfortunate situation, and should not be blown out of proportion. Still, in some of these cases the person calling police on blacks should at least be fined for harrasment (the one white girls that keeps calling police on blacks wrongly at Yale, for instance.)

Its nothing like the racism that America supported in South Africa or what happened in Israel today:

41 un armed Palestinians killed protesting US Embassy move to Jerusalem.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/14/worl ... bassy.html

Azealia Banks (black singer) says she is never going back to racist Israel
https://forward.com/schmooze/400742/yal ... urning-to/
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Mon May 14, 2018 5:01 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:45 am

Maybe it just goes to show how little actual racism there actually is when the "race bait" being offered is of such poor quality.
Well, there is plenty of racism out there in the world and even in Oakland, but at least in the bay area its hopelessly intertwined with this quasi liberal echo chamber entitlement making discussion of these things in anything resembling a realistic way impossible.

manas

Post by manas » Tue May 15, 2018 3:26 am

rightviewftw wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:29 am

rename it to woman harassed for enforcing park policy?
It's fashionable atm to demonize white folks at the slightest suspicion of racism, even when all the facts are not known, just as mere accusations of sexual assault (often a decade or so after the alleged event), are destroying the careers of many men, even before they get a fair trial in a court of law. Of course if sexual assault can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, lock the offenders up, but some men (such a Bill Cosby, for example) have even been convicted on quite shaky evidence in a court of law; it's as though if enough folks accuse someone of something, that counts as 'evidence' nowadays (if the accusers are female and the accused is male).
Knowing this body is like a clay jar,
securing this mind like a fort,
attack Mara with the spear of discernment,
then guard what's won without settling there,
without laying claim.

- Dhp 40

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Tue May 15, 2018 3:51 am

So its not racist for a white woman to accuse a black family of trespassing in a public park. Just goes to show how easy it is to defend racism on this forum, sad commentary on our readership.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue May 15, 2018 4:44 am

Greetings Lyndon,
lyndon taylor wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:51 am
So its not racist for a white woman to accuse a black family of trespassing in a public park. Just goes to show how easy it is to defend racism on this forum, sad commentary on our readership.
Is it really so difficult for you to comprehend?

Race is irrelevant to the situation.

Someone called police because some people were in violation of the park rules.

What is sad is that some people cannot help themselves but to interject race into each and every situation, and go on to make unfounded moral accusations against others on those grounds. As such, your aspersions on "our readership" are weak and pathetic.

Please desist from violating the rules of the News section, because just like the park users, you're in violation of the rules. My race, nor yours, has zero to do with it...

Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Tue May 15, 2018 5:27 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:44 am
Is it really so difficult for you to comprehend?

Someone called police because some people were in violation of the park rules.
That's not true.

Given the politically charged environment, she must have known that the situation could turn violent or even deadly.

Whether she was racist or not, we don't know. We do know that she created a very dangerous situation over a trifling matter.

“When you engage law enforcement in these kinds of things you are opening the door for things to go very wrong, the potential for arrests like in Philadelphia with those two black men or worse physical assault or death and I don’t believe in this day and age that white folks don’t know that,” said Brooks.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/05/11/ ... blic-park/
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue May 15, 2018 6:20 am

Greetings Kamran,
Kamran wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:27 am
That's not true.
You can say this all you like, but merely saying this doesn't necessarily make it so.
Kamran wrote:
Given the politically charged environment, she must have known that the situation could turn violent or even deadly.
... and this makes her calling the police blameworthy how, exactly?

:shrug:

What a perverse society we live in if the innocent are blamed for the unwholesome actions and short temper of others.
Kamran wrote:
Whether she was racist or not, we don't know. We do know that she created a very dangerous situation over a trifling matter.
The behaviours of one person are not the fault of another. Calling the police when the law is being broken is not a blameworthy action.

Has the doctrine of kamma taught us nothing about where responsibility for violence and evil falls? Society rots away when individuals are not held accountable for their own actions and reactions.

:shrug:

Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Tue May 15, 2018 6:43 am

retrofuturist wrote:

How do you know that?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue May 15, 2018 6:45 am

Greetings,
Mr Man wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:43 am
retrofuturist wrote:

How do you know that?
Person A calls the police because they witness Persons B & C breaking the law.

Must the operation of law and order be perverted based on immutable characteristics of these persons, or does the concept of "blind justice" still apply?

Or has the West degraded so far that "blind justice" is no longer even desired, let alone delivered?

Has the cancer of moral relativism infected too many minds?

Metta,

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Tue May 15, 2018 6:53 am

Paul, you asserted
retrofuturist wrote: Race is irrelevant to the situation.
How do you know that?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue May 15, 2018 6:55 am

Greetings Mr Man,
Mr Man wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:53 am
Paul, you asserted
How do you know that?
Because I concisely summarized the situation from a legal perspective.

Namely, "Person A calls the police because they witness Persons B & C breaking the law."

Again, when someone is breaking the law, it is still breaking the law, regardless of their race, religion, sexuality, gender, and so forth.

If you wish for it to be otherwise, do please present your case to us.

Metta,

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Tue May 15, 2018 7:11 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:55 am
Greetings Mr Man,
Mr Man wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:53 am
Paul, you asserted
How do you know that?
Because I concisely summarized the situation from a legal perspective.

Namely, "Person A calls the police because they witness Persons B & C breaking the law."

Again, when someone is breaking the law, it is still breaking the law, regardless of their race, religion, sexuality, gender, and so forth.

If you wish for it to be otherwise, do please present your case to us.

Metta,
The legal perspective does not mean that race is irrelevant to the situation (Were they even breaking the law?).

According to the report (below the you tube video on you tube) a racial epithet was used.
Last edited by Mr Man on Tue May 15, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.