Historic handshake between Koreas

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Sam Vara

Re: Historic handshake between Koreas

Post by Sam Vara » Thu May 24, 2018 3:36 pm

Bundokji wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:15 pm
Yes, you may well be right in all you say. But to me, Trump remains an enigma, and the whole "show" seems to be more about the media's unhappiness with reporting realpolitik; the BBC in particular can't grasp that peace might sometimes require tough action, and unlike other news outlets seems to have lost the staff who can report credibly on the Machiavellian aspects of politics. I wonder how they might have reported Kennedy's insane world-threatening brinkmanship in talking tough to Khrushchev?

But yes, we live in interesting times! :anjali:

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Thu May 24, 2018 6:16 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:36 pm
Bundokji wrote:
Yes, you may well be right in all you say. But to me, Trump remains an enigma, and the whole "show" seems to be more about the media's unhappiness with reporting realpolitik; the BBC in particular can't grasp that peace might sometimes require tough action, and unlike other news outlets seems to have lost the staff who can report credibly on the Machiavellian aspects of politics. I wonder how they might have reported Kennedy's insane world-threatening brinkmanship in talking tough to Khrushchev?

There's a difference between talk and action.

It would be political suicide for any US politician to commit significant ground troops anywhere.

They can drop a few useless bombs like they did in Syria, but did that change anything?

They have a big market which gives them a little leverage but even then many *prefer* the massive chinese market.

The Americans have no leverage - they can't do a damn thing.
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Thu May 24, 2018 6:35 pm

Kamran wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:16 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Bundokji wrote:

It would be political suicide for any US politician to commit significant ground troops anywhere.

They can drop a few useless bombs like they did in Syria, but did that change anything?

They have a big market which gives them a little leverage but even then many *prefer* the massive chinese market.

The difficulty in determining what is "really" going on is such that almost any narrative would fit the established facts that come via the main news outlets. Things seemed to get less dangerous (talks between the two Koreas; destruction of nuclear capability; Olympics; conciliatory speeches and photoshoots illustrating the same, etc.) and Trump supporters claimed it was down to his masterful understanding of realpolitik and the psychology of negotiating the deal. Those who hate him, however, claimed it was all down to the Chinese, or internal Korean politics either side of the DMZ, and that Trump had almost ruined it with his intemperate outbursts.

The same would, I'm sure, be the case were the most appalling hostilities to break out. The same evidence will be marshalled to prove that it was the other maniac with weird hair that caused it all. Either America will be a successful superpower doing its best to regain its "world policeman" role, or it will be a bungling failure whose time of influence has elapsed.

That's why I've consistently said that the reactions to Trump are more interesting than Trump himself. At least we have more understanding of those reactions.

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Thu May 24, 2018 6:49 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:35 pm
Kamran wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:16 pm
Sam Vara wrote:

The difficulty in determining what is "really" going on is such that almost any narrative would fit the established facts that come via the main news outlets. Things seemed to get less dangerous (talks between the two Koreas; destruction of nuclear capability; Olympics; conciliatory speeches and photoshoots illustrating the same, etc.) and Trump supporters claimed it was down to his masterful understanding of realpolitik and the psychology of negotiating the deal. Those who hate him, however, claimed it was all down to the Chinese, or internal Korean politics either side of the DMZ, and that Trump had almost ruined it with his intemperate outbursts.

The same would, I'm sure, be the case were the most appalling hostilities to break out. The same evidence will be marshalled to prove that it was the other maniac with weird hair that caused it all. Either America will be a successful superpower doing its best to regain its "world policeman" role, or it will be a bungling failure whose time of influence has elapsed.

That's why I've consistently said that the reactions to Trump are more interesting than Trump himself. At least we have more understanding of those reactions.
I agree with you but I just don't see anything that the US can do realistically.

Trumps "mad man" act doesn't fool world leaders though it might influence casual observers like us.
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:52 pm

Trump says summit with Kim is back on

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44339003
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.