Should restaraunts with religious owners be shunned?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
robertk

Should restaraunts with religious owners be shunned?

Post by robertk » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:15 pm

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... ttacked-it
from.the New Yorker, talking about Chick-fil ( one of Americas largest fast food chains):
the brand’s arrival here feels like an infiltration, in no small part because of its pervasive Christian traditionalism. Its headquarters, in Atlanta, is adorned with Bible verses and a statute of Jesus washing a disciple’s feet. Its stores close on Sundays.

Kim OHara

Re: Should restaraunts with religious owners be shunned?

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Speaking of infiltration ... I'm pretty sure your linked site infiltrated a junky pop-up ad window onto my desktop.
That's not a sign of a reliable news site.

:thinking:
Kim

cjmacie

Post by cjmacie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:18 pm

Depends on the quality of the food, I would say. Otherwise it would be about the same to shun kosher delis.

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:57 am

I didn't click the Washington Examiner link as it might be corrupted, so I'm commenting on the idea of shunning restaurants only.

The president and COO of of Chick-Fil-A made a series of comments regarding his views on gay marriage (based on his religious beliefs) back in 2012. [urlhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-fil-A_same-sex_marriage_controversy][url]. At that time he was making monetary donations to several anti-LGBT organizations, causing a wave of protests. Supposedly he has since decided to stop making those donations.

From the site referenced above:
"On June 16, 2012, while on the syndicated radio talk show, The Ken Coleman Show, Chick-fil-A president and chief operating officer (COO) Dan Cathy stated:

" I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, "We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage". I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about." "

Mr. Cathy chooses to run his business as he sees fit. As a gay man, I choose not to support a business that funnels money into organizations which consider a marriage I may make with another gay man an abomination, and actively attempt to influence public policy in that direction.

He makes his choice, I make mine. If someone wants to call that "shunning," so be it. In these types of cases, I tend to vote with my wallet.

Also, as a vegetarian, there's not much on the menu there I care to eat anyway.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:19 am

:goodpost:

When anyone makes their religious or political views part of a commercial transaction, the other party to the transaction is forced to do the same - or go elsewhere for goods (if they're the buyer) or customers (if they're the merchant).
Personally, I won't buy from a place like that unless I have no other choice. Buying there normalises some quite repugnant (to me) views, and funds the people spreading them (because we know where their profits go, don't we?).
Would I try to stop the business operating? Not over this sort of thing. I support campaigns against businesses knowingly profiting from environmental destruction, cruelty or slavery, though.

:namaste:
Kim

TamHanhHi

Post by TamHanhHi » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:42 pm

It seems to simplistic to say "religious" owners should be shunned. Whether views are religious or not, owners and everyone else down the chain of leadership hold certain beliefs. They could be racist, homophobic, etc. I think it's valid for customers to put their money where their mouths are.
"Just as a large banyan tree, on level ground where four roads meet, is a haven for the birds all around, even so a lay person of conviction is a haven for many people: monks, nuns, male lay followers, & female lay followers."AN 5.38 :candle: | Blog at http://dhammareflections.wordpress.com