Can we stay neutral

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Amanaki

Can we stay neutral

Post by Amanaki » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:14 am

Can we as buddhists be able to stay neutral if America and Russia do start WW3? Somthing is about to happen in our world now.

Is it wrong to say something about the situation between me and my friends?

JamesTheGiant

Re: Can we stay neutral

Post by JamesTheGiant » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:10 am

Amanaki wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:14 am
Can we as buddhists be able to stay neutral if America and Russia do start WW3? Somthing is about to happen in our world now.

Is it wrong to say something about the situation between me and my friends?
Relax. RELAX!
Don't worry about the Buddhist thing. Just be a good person, be a friend to your friends. Don't make Buddhism another wall between you and other people.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11

Amanaki

Post by Amanaki » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:27 am

I do not make Buddhism a wall, But as you maybe know buddhism teach us to not take part in any killing even in wartime. So i will stay neutral toward anyone who take part in something like WW3. Personally i keep on living my life and take care of my family

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:15 am

When Chines invaded Tibet, many Tibetans took a neutral position.
The result is that Chinese took control over Tibet.
The question is what would have happened if Tibetans took a strong opposition.
Many Tibetans would have died the same way many civilians died in Iraq war.
Passive resistance such as used by Gandhi is the best weapon.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Amanaki

Post by Amanaki » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:08 pm

Yes this i am agree too, To stay away from the forceful and harmful action. and use mindfulness and forgivens is the best weapon

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:16 pm

My advice is to ignore things like WW3 until something actually starts happening to you.
How to Destroy any addiction
How to Meditate: Satipatthana Mahasi
Медитация Сатипаттхана Випассана
How To Develop Factors of Enlightenment & Perceptions
Ven. Kutukurunde Nanananda's (Developing Metta)
Tyranny of Words - An Introduction to General Semantics
Dhammatalks categorized by topic @ video.sirimangalo.org/
Ledi Sayadaw's Anapana Dipani (Samatha) @ ffmt.fr/articles/maitres/LediS/anapana-dipani.ledi-sayadaw.pdf
Parallel Dhammapada @ myweb.ncku.edu.tw/~lsn46/tipitaka/sutta/khuddaka/dhammapada/dhp-contrast-reading/dhp-contrast-reading-en/

Amanaki

Post by Amanaki » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:30 pm

Ignorance is not good in my understanding. But not to worry before something actually happen that i agree about

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:52 pm

Amanaki wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:30 pm
Ignorance is not good in my understanding.
It is not like you will know what is actually going on from the news, if i wanted to be manipulated id read the news.
Also if one leads to another and the latter is bad, then how is the former good.
Ledi Sayadaw's Anapana Dipani (Samatha) @ ffmt.fr/articles/maitres/LediS/anapana-dipani.ledi-sayadaw.pdf
Parallel Dhammapada @ myweb.ncku.edu.tw/~lsn46/tipitaka/sutta/khuddaka/dhammapada/dhp-contrast-reading/dhp-contrast-reading-en/

Amanaki

Post by Amanaki » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:10 pm

What is written in the news are often not telling the truth, but a part of a situation going on. We do not know what the leaders in different countries thinking because we are not there. But with following news feeds around the world one can gain understanding of what might happen.

Being totally ignorant to what can happen is not wise too. But taking a neutral position to it, that one accept the situation from moment to moment is in my understanding a way of seeing things as they are. We also know that the world is in a state of immoral and evil action is going on around us every day.

Best to stay mindful

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Amanaki wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:10 pm
Being totally ignorant to what can happen is not wise too.
One does not have to follow what is going on to be able to know what might happen. I do not watch the news, i don't even read the threads about politics on the forum and this thread i would not have opened if it was posted in the appropriate sub-section.

Even with my "total ignorance" i would bet you i could give some decent general estimations for what could happen to me in particular as well as possible general geo political developments.

santa100

Post by santa100 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Amanaki wrote:Can we as buddhists be able to stay neutral if America and Russia do start WW3? Somthing is about to happen in our world now.
If, Buddha forbid, America and Russia start WWIII, then it's gonna be difficult to kill your enemies, for fairly soon after the first strike, the few remaining survivors are gonna have to resort to sticks and stones to fight one another!

Amanaki

Post by Amanaki » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:29 pm

I do not have any enemies, i only see human beings as that ,human beings

santa100

Post by santa100 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:38 pm

That's very noble.... in theory. Sticking with your WWWIII scenario, say you and a few of your loved ones survive the first strike, will you be ready to defend your family from some marauder who is about to use violence to take away the few remaining cans of fresh water your little kids desperately need to survive?

Amanaki

Post by Amanaki » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:54 pm

if possible i share it with anyone who need. I dont put anyone infront of each other. But i would protect my fiance without harming others.

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:53 am

SarathW wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:15 am
Only against an opponent who still has enough moral conscience, like the British had in India.
The Jews resisted passively against the Nazis, and it didn't help.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:14 am

SarathW wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:15 am
When Chines invaded Tibet, many Tibetans took a neutral position.
The result is that Chinese took control over Tibet.
The question is what would have happened if Tibetans took a strong opposition.
Many Tibetans would have died the same way many civilians died in Iraq war.
This needs some correction.

Gandhi could become Gandhi because he was fighting against the British and not Stalin or Hitler.

As far as being colonised goes, India was blessed with the "gentlest" colonising power, who on the whole did not do much damage except economic exploitation.

If Gandhi was doing the same thing against Stalin or Hitler .. on Day 1 he would have faced the firing squad (and rest of his family too)

In a nutshell, Gandhi could be a Gandhian because the British were educated, civil and polite enough to allow him to be a Gandhian.

What if our colonisers were the French .. this is what they did when their colonies wanted independence following WW II - killed 5,000 Algerians in 1947 followed by 50,000 Malagasy in 1948 .. how would Gandhi have fared against such people?

Being passive against the Chinese means they are going to have you for breakfast .. which is what they have done with Tibet .. not only occupied it but made it an integral part of China .. the nation called Tibet will henceforth only exist in history books.

Indigenous Tibetans now identify themselves as Chinese (who wants a bunch of yellow hat monks spouting hard to understand sutras as their ruler anyway)

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing