What is Facebook?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
alan

Re: What is Facebook?

Post by alan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:08 am

I like Facebook. Allows me to post pretty pictures. People like them.
What is wrong with that? Only thing I can say is that they used to let me get 3,000 likes, but now only 300. They want me to advertise. I'll do it when I have a calendar to sell.

Subharo

Post by Subharo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:52 am

I'd like to take a crack at answering the OP.

This is what Facebook is. It's distilled bhava. It's "becoming" in crack cocaine form. It's a virtual factory which primarily generates identity view: sakkāya-diṭṭhi, the first of the ten fetters ("belief in a self"). It lets you very easily weave a sense of identity, based on what you decide to post. Then other people (whom you might or might not know) reify that constructed identity by pressing the "like" button. This feedback gives people little hits of dopamine, and conditions them to want to build up that sense of self all the stronger, as it's a source of happy juices to do so. In this way, sakkāya-diṭṭhi becomes strongly conditioned.

These are the real addicts who will have the hardest time ever closing their Facebook accounts no matter how much scandal Facebook might stir up. Where will they get their easy hits of dopamine from (if they no longer have a small crowd of "friends" peppering them with "likes")?

From MN 128: "Corruptions"
Dolts pretending to be astute,
they talk, their words right out of bounds.
They blab at will, their mouths agape,
and no-one knows what leads them on.
Emphasis added there, as I think it's bhava which leads them on: continually constructing a sense of identity through what is posted (and how much social attention, and re-assurance of their existence and likeability, which can be garnered through such postings).

(Note: Many such Facebook-related scandals in fairly recent news linked to here and here and here and here.)
Subharo Bhikkhu
"There is but one taste on this path, the taste of freedom" -The Buddha :buddha1:

santa100

Post by santa100 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:23 am

+1. And worst, FB members aren't aware that they're being used like batteries to power the great machine empire and bring billions in USD profit to Mr. Zuck, the "architect". We truly are living in "The Matrix":

thadubz

Post by thadubz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:52 am

Subharo wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:52 am

This is what Facebook is. It's distilled bhava. It's "becoming" in crack cocaine form. It's a virtual factory which primarily generates identity view: sakkāya-diṭṭhi, the first of the ten fetters ("belief in a self"). It lets you very easily weave a sense of identity, based on what you decide to post. Then other people (whom you might or might not know) reify that constructed identity by pressing the "like" button. This feedback gives people little hits of dopamine, and conditions them to want to build up that sense of self all the stronger, as it's a source of happy juices to do so. In this way, sakkāya-diṭṭhi becomes strongly conditioned.
:goodpost: