What is Facebook?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Dinsdale

Re: What is Facebook?

Post by Dinsdale » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:38 am

rightviewftw wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:05 am
Feel bad for zuckerberg, sure there is something he would rather do than going to these meetings.
Yeah, wondering how to spend all his money. Poor dear. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:14 am

Dinsdale wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:11 am
Bundokji wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:01 am
Why we, as human beings, are so concerned about privacy?
Why we, as human beings, have this neurotic need to tell the whole world about the trivia of our lives?
I think because it helps us experience our existence through feedback. We prefer the feedback to be positive probably through measuring how many likes or shares we get on our posts in the case of Facebook, but even a negative feedback is still preferable to us than no feedback. Maybe because our existence is not real in the first place, seeking re-assurances or justifications (either in the positive or the negative) becomes the main driver of our behavior.

However, as long as self view is still present in us, i believe that adopting an objective view of one's self by renouncing our interests and personality (even if for a short while) is a step in the right direction. The idea of "privacy" both in the legal and social sense is often used as a tool to convey a carefully fabricated image of ourselves and in the process, creating expectations about future behavior which often become a cause of suffering. I am not an expert in the Vinaya, but i remember that some offenses requires the monk to go and talk about it to other monks to cause embarrassment when the offense falls short of disrobing.

While i agree with your description that it is all a trivia, facing certain aspects of ourselves and exposing them publicly helps us realize our own insignificance, and probably to stop acting as if our shit does not stink. Some philosophers built a philosophy out of these simple truths such as Michel de Montaigne who mentioned in his book stories about a man who committed suicide out of shame for not being able to control himself when he farted at dinner banquet, or a woman who was so embarrassed to chew in public and always ate behind a curtain, and another man on his death bed who requested to be buried in his underpants so no one could see his penis. Out of these simple observations comes friendly reminders such as "on the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our bottom" or "kings and philosophers shit, so do ladies".

Try to compare the above with Ajahn Chah for instance who advised his disciples to counter their sexual desire by thoughts of women defecating. Objective thinking about the world might not be the final aim of the path, but helps us become less infatuated and more balanced in my opinion.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:04 am

Dinsdale wrote:
Why we, as human beings, have this neurotic need to tell the whole world about the trivia of our lives?
Because it's not actually trivial at all.

But beyond that:

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Facebook buys your data from other places too, like the grocery store you shop at.

So even if you don’t post much they have a lot of data on you.

Btw the government is doing a lot more too with regards to monitoring you under the guise of terrorism but actually just to get more power.
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:34 am

binocular wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:04 am
Dinsdale wrote:
From what I've seen it mostly is trivial.
binocular wrote:
But beyond that:

Sharing personal problems with friends and family is one thing, but broadcasting them to a world of strangers is another thing entirely - it seems strange to me.

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:37 am

No_Mind wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:13 am
But we do mind if our identity is "scraped" by an unknown person or entity
Or if our data is collected and sold on to shady political organisations.

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:43 am

Dinsdale wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:34 am
binocular wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:
Trivial or not, it seems very obvious to me that it is clinging to identity. I can't really see much of a use for facebook that does not come under the categoroy of clinging to identity.
chownah

cjmacie

Post by cjmacie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:15 am

Here's an interesting bit from the Congressional hearings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdqUfJm ... e=youtu.be

Congresswoman Anna G. Eshoo is represents Silicon Valley, and, btw, Facebook contributed to her re-election campaigns to the tune of some $38,000.

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:45 pm

go away facebook
How to Destroy any addiction
How to Meditate: Satipatthana Mahasi
Медитация Сатипаттхана Випассана
How To Develop Factors of Enlightenment & Perceptions
Ven. Kutukurunde Nanananda's (Developing Metta)
Tyranny of Words - An Introduction to General Semantics
Dhammatalks categorized by topic @ video.sirimangalo.org/
Ledi Sayadaw's Anapana Dipani (Samatha) @ ffmt.fr/articles/maitres/LediS/anapana-dipani.ledi-sayadaw.pdf
Parallel Dhammapada @ myweb.ncku.edu.tw/~lsn46/tipitaka/sutta/khuddaka/dhammapada/dhp-contrast-reading/dhp-contrast-reading-en/

aflatun

Post by aflatun » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:08 am

rightviewftw wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:45 pm
go away facebook
:goodpost:
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16

binocular

Post by binocular » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:04 am

rightviewftw wrote:
Imagego away facebook
I deleted mine about ten years ago.
:woohoo:

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:08 am

binocular wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:04 am
rightviewftw wrote:
Imagego away facebook
I deleted mine about ten years ago.
:woohoo:
way ahead of the curve then :twothumbsup:
How to Destroy any addiction
How to Meditate: Satipatthana Mahasi
Медитация Сатипаттхана Випассана
How To Develop Factors of Enlightenment & Perceptions
Ven. Kutukurunde Nanananda's (Developing Metta)
Tyranny of Words - An Introduction to General Semantics
Dhammatalks categorized by topic @ video.sirimangalo.org/
Ledi Sayadaw's Anapana Dipani (Samatha) @ ffmt.fr/articles/maitres/LediS/anapana-dipani.ledi-sayadaw.pdf
Parallel Dhammapada @ myweb.ncku.edu.tw/~lsn46/tipitaka/sutta/khuddaka/dhammapada/dhp-contrast-reading/dhp-contrast-reading-en/

binocular

Post by binocular » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:27 am

Dinsdale wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:34 am
Not to those people.

The things that to a Buddhist may seem "trivial", are often of vital importance to *gasp* normal people.

For example, it's the season for blessing motorbikes here:

That is, bikers (many of them in proper black leather biker outfits) gather up in hundreds in front of Catholic churches and the Catholic priests bless those bikes. Sometimes, even the priests wear biker vests over their official religious outfit.
Sharing personal problems with friends and family is one thing, but broadcasting them to a world of strangers is another thing entirely - it seems strange to me.
I think such public sharing can have a cathartic effect. Some of the popular predecessors of such public sharing were US talk shows, where not only celebrities, but also ordinary people would talk about their personal problems to large audiences.

Psychologically, talking about a problem to strangers can help the person to gain distance from that problem and even find a solution to it. However, with new communication technologies that make it possible for the conversation to be easily stored and accessed by many, that once helpful method of talking to strangers can backfire.

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:48 pm

In Romania the church actually made the blessing of car ceremony as an official, legit ceremony of the church with specific instructions a couple of years ago. Blessing your car may cost anywhere from just 12$ to 100$ or even more, depending on the car. The more expensive the car the more expensive the blessing because it takes god more energy to protect it.

But in Russia they are blessing tanks, helichopters, ak-47s, missiles, etc. All sorts of military equipment are individually blessed in Russia so we can never top that.

Dhammanando
Location: Ban Sri Pradu Cremation Ground, Phrao District, Chiangmai

Post by Dhammanando » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:48 am

binocular wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:27 am
That is, bikers (many of them in proper black leather biker outfits) gather up in hundreds in front of Catholic churches and the Catholic priests bless those bikes. Sometimes, even the priests wear biker vests over their official religious outfit.
Impressively efficient of Holy Mother Church to bless them in large batches like that. In Thailand I've only ever seen monks blessing individual motorcycles. :clap:
On retreat and offline May 22 - July 10.

„Sedem solitariam, cubitum solitarium
solitarius colens non segnis,
solitarius semet ipse domans
in sylva extrema delectatus sit.“

(Dhammapada 305. tr. Viggo Fausbøll. 1855)

Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:28 am

Dhammanando wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:48 am
binocular wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:27 am
Impressively efficient of Holy Mother Church to bless them in large batches like that. In Thailand I've only ever seen monks blessing individual motorcycles. :clap:
We have more individual art work along with the blessings. :tongue:

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Now it's confirmed that Big Brother really is watching. Facebook tracks you even if you’re not a user

"Facebook collects “data of people who have not signed up for Facebook” for security reasons." Whose security??
Disturbing stuff.

binocular

Post by binocular » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:49 pm

Justsit wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:40 pm
Now it's confirmed that Big Brother really is watching. Facebook tracks you even if you’re not a user

"Facebook collects “data of people who have not signed up for Facebook” for security reasons." Whose security??
Disturbing stuff.
Like karma.

Surely people would be far less concerned about what FB etc. are doing, if they would care more about karma.

:juggling:

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:48 am

binocular wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:49 pm
Surely people would be far less concerned about what FB etc. are doing, if they would care more about karma.
:goodpost:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:42 am

Justsit wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:40 pm
When will Facebook become self-aware, and decide that humans are a pest to be got rid of? :tongue: