What is Facebook?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Bundokji

Re: What is Facebook?

Post by Bundokji » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Justsit wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:11 pm
Bundokji wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:14 pm
Justsit wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:22 pm
...ideally, a wise man has nothing to hide except for practical reasons...
Such as?
Our worldly laws are not meant to be perfect, but they are necessary to organize the relationships between individuals within the group (practical reasons). ....
I'm looking for examples of what you consider "practical reasons" per your first quote above. Since the topic is Facebook and we're in the news forum, I'm focused on discussing mundane rather than dhammic reasoning.
The two are inseparable in my mind. The mundane and what you described as "dhammic reasoning" are one! What is the use of Dhamma if not in everyday life and our relationship with ourselves and the other?

The difference i am referring to is psychological and has practicle consequences. For example, if i know something about you and i have the choice to either remain silent, or to talk to you privately, or to address you in public, the criteria would be why i chose one of the above? If the underlying intention is ill will for instance, the choice or action would cause suffering to both of us. Privacy here is a mere factor (something to be used), not an end in itself.

Similarly, if i am doing something harmful, then talking about it (even though difficult) might help me stop doing it again, and in that case talking about it would be a good idea because the underlying intention is wholesome (to end fear). This is what i meant about the therapeutic effect, and Christians use what they describe as "confession" in their practices which is a good practice in my opinion. The only problem is that they link it to the idea of "sin" which is unnecessary and harmful.

Most people post on Facebook for the wrong reasons (self promotion). And wrong reasons lead to more fear because the underlying cause is fear. In the case of the wise, his intention is exactly the opposite, which is the elimination of fear (suffering). This is why, going against the grain is what Buddhists do, and that does not make them different species from their fellow humans, but simply wiser.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:06 am

Greetings,

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

alan

Post by alan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:25 am

I do love that one, Retro.

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:05 am

Feel bad for zuckerberg, sure there is something he would rather do than going to these meetings.
How to meditate: Anapanasati, Satipatthana.
Intro to General Semantics
Factors & Perceptions

Parallel Dhammapada Reading
Chinese to Eng Dhp
"The statements; 'With the remainderless stopping & fading of the six contact-media is it the case that there is anything else?' '.. is it the case that there is not anything else .. is it the case that there both is & is not anything else .. is it the case that there neither is nor is not anything else?' objectify non-objectification. However far the six contact-media go, that is how far objectification goes."

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:11 am

Bundokji wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:01 am
Why we, as human beings, are so concerned about privacy?
Why we, as human beings, have this neurotic need to tell the whole world about the trivia of our lives?
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:38 am

rightviewftw wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:05 am
Feel bad for zuckerberg, sure there is something he would rather do than going to these meetings.
Yeah, wondering how to spend all his money. Poor dear. :tongue:

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:14 am

Dinsdale wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:11 am
Bundokji wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:01 am
Why we, as human beings, are so concerned about privacy?
Why we, as human beings, have this neurotic need to tell the whole world about the trivia of our lives?
I think because it helps us experience our existence through feedback. We prefer the feedback to be positive probably through measuring how many likes or shares we get on our posts in the case of Facebook, but even a negative feedback is still preferable to us than no feedback. Maybe because our existence is not real in the first place, seeking re-assurances or justifications (either in the positive or the negative) becomes the main driver of our behavior.

However, as long as self view is still present in us, i believe that adopting an objective view of one's self by renouncing our interests and personality (even if for a short while) is a step in the right direction. The idea of "privacy" both in the legal and social sense is often used as a tool to convey a carefully fabricated image of ourselves and in the process, creating expectations about future behavior which often become a cause of suffering. I am not an expert in the Vinaya, but i remember that some offenses requires the monk to go and talk about it to other monks to cause embarrassment when the offense falls short of disrobing.

While i agree with your description that it is all a trivia, facing certain aspects of ourselves and exposing them publicly helps us realize our own insignificance, and probably to stop acting as if our shit does not stink. Some philosophers built a philosophy out of these simple truths such as Michel de Montaigne who mentioned in his book stories about a man who committed suicide out of shame for not being able to control himself when he farted at dinner banquet, or a woman who was so embarrassed to chew in public and always ate behind a curtain, and another man on his death bed who requested to be buried in his underpants so no one could see his penis. Out of these simple observations comes friendly reminders such as "on the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our bottom" or "kings and philosophers shit, so do ladies".

Try to compare the above with Ajahn Chah for instance who advised his disciples to counter their sexual desire by thoughts of women defecating. Objective thinking about the world might not be the final aim of the path, but helps us become less infatuated and more balanced in my opinion.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:04 am

Dinsdale wrote:
Because it's not actually trivial at all.

But beyond that:

Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Facebook buys your data from other places too, like the grocery store you shop at.

So even if you don’t post much they have a lot of data on you.

Btw the government is doing a lot more too with regards to monitoring you under the guise of terrorism but actually just to get more power.
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:34 am

binocular wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:04 am
Dinsdale wrote:
From what I've seen it mostly is trivial.
binocular wrote:
But beyond that:

Sharing personal problems with friends and family is one thing, but broadcasting them to a world of strangers is another thing entirely - it seems strange to me.

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:37 am

No_Mind wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:13 am
But we do mind if our identity is "scraped" by an unknown person or entity
Or if our data is collected and sold on to shady political organisations.

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:43 am

Dinsdale wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:34 am
binocular wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:
From what I've seen it mostly is trivial.
Trivial or not, it seems very obvious to me that it is clinging to identity. I can't really see much of a use for facebook that does not come under the categoroy of clinging to identity.
chownah

cjmacie

Post by cjmacie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:15 am

Here's an interesting bit from the Congressional hearings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdqUfJm ... e=youtu.be

Congresswoman Anna G. Eshoo is represents Silicon Valley, and, btw, Facebook contributed to her re-election campaigns to the tune of some $38,000.

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:45 pm

go away facebook
How to meditate: Anapanasati, Satipatthana.
Intro to General Semantics
Factors & Perceptions

Parallel Dhammapada Reading
Chinese to Eng Dhp
"The statements; 'With the remainderless stopping & fading of the six contact-media is it the case that there is anything else?' '.. is it the case that there is not anything else .. is it the case that there both is & is not anything else .. is it the case that there neither is nor is not anything else?' objectify non-objectification. However far the six contact-media go, that is how far objectification goes."

aflatun

Post by aflatun » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:08 am

rightviewftw wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:45 pm
go away facebook
:goodpost:
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16