thought experiment: what if (now extinct) hominids lived among us

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
No_Mind

Re: thought experiment: what if (now extinct) hominids lived among us

Post by No_Mind » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:52 pm

DNS wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:01 pm
Note: I am not saying there are such differences in Sapiens and in fact my position is there are none or they are so negligible to be completely insignificant,
I disagree completely.

Difference between her (took me 15 minutes to find a "decent" picture from Rio carnival)

and him

is in no way insignificant. The difference between them is not negligible but vast. I think I have support from Buddha in this matter.

There are vast differences among humans other than skin color. Someone dancing almost nude before thousands is not the same as a monk or a diligent student (note .. I did not say good student but diligent one)

All humans are not the same. At most we can say there is possibility that they may become the same - all humans can be decent, sober, have good taste, be calm, not have addictions, try to educate themselves, be virtuous ..

But it is not going to happen .. and some will always be inferior, political correctness notwithstanding.

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:38 pm

No Mind,

Your second photo link is not showing.

Yes, I agree there are differences among humans, as the Yuval Harari video talk shows, all men are not created equal and in fact evolved differently. There are differences in intelligence, height, strength, abilities, disabilities, etc. I'm just saying the differences are mostly negligible comparing groups based on intelligence. All racial, ethnic distinctions among Sapiens have a common ancestor only some 85,000 years ago or even less in, which is very recent in evolutionary time.

Among other hominids, however (now extinct) the differences were not just negligible, but quite distinct; which would have raised some serious moral dilemmas if they were still around on how we interact with them.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:57 pm

DNS wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:38 pm
all men are not created equal and in fact evolved differently. There are differences in intelligence, height, strength, abilities, disabilities, etc. I'm just saying the differences are mostly negligible comparing groups based on intelligence.
And here's another potentially interesting thought about relative intelligence. Once language and cultures develop, the relative intelligence of individual members of the species becomes less and less important. We rely more upon accumulated knowledge and experience, such that it is possible for quite ordinary members of the species, and even the least evolutionarily gifted members, to have relatively happy and fulfilled lives. Individual genius was presumably very advantageous for early hominids; it meant that they could out-smart their rivals and get the best mates, food, and living conditions. Most of us wouldn't last ten minutes under stone-age conditions. But we don't need to be all that bright, because we are (as one very bright ancestor apparently said) we are "standing on the shoulders of giants".

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:15 pm

DNS wrote:
No Mind,

Your second photo link is not showing.
It was something like this

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Apparently there's a movement for great ape personhood.

Wikipedia:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... inTngTdKgH
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:00 pm

DNS wrote:
All racial, ethnic distinctions among Sapiens have a common ancestor only some 85,000 years ago or even less in, which is very recent in evolutionary time.
You're lagging a couple of decades in terms of what we know now about human evolution. The out of africa theory is competing with the multi regional theory. Recent DNA evidence discovered through the big genome project support the second one. So far, it is unclear which one is correct and both have problems. It's incorrect to use the out-of-africa theory like it is 100% certain like one would do a couple of decades ago when evidence is 50-50 or even 51-49 in favor of the multi-regional one today.

https://www.nature.com/scitable/content ... hesis-6391

Note how the model B and model C have now developed. The model A (that you are using) or model D are too radical and have too many problems and that's why model B and C developed.
Among other hominids, however (now extinct) the differences were not just negligible, but quite distinct; which would have raised some serious moral dilemmas if they were still around on how we interact with them.
Was the Neanthertal or Denisovan more distinct in terms of physical appearence and intelligence compared to us than the Pigmies are ? (10% of Congo population is pigmies) I really don't think so.