Race, IQ and Idenity politics: A debate.

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
No_Mind

Re: Race, IQ and Idenity politics: A debate.

Post by No_Mind » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:47 am

alan wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:46 am
Yeah, I'm not a Police Dog. I'm a Jazz Cat.
Are you scared of cucumbers like in the video?

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:59 am

Greetings,

Nice banter, but you're deviating from the topic.

:focus:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Pondera

Post by Pondera » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:03 am

Circle5 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:00 am
Context is what determines weather ...
Context ... not things like wind, sea temperature, precipitation, etc. I don’t know whether or not you made this spelling mistake intentionally, however if you did, it is a sign of low IQ. Whatever race you belong to is shaking it’s head right now.

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:43 am

Since this started with a Sam Harris discussion, here is an interesting one between Sam Harris and Charles Muray about the problem:

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Race determines skin color, eye color, hair color, height, weight, muscularity, slow and fast twitch muscle percentage, facial features.

Race does not determine IQ, virtuousness and anything connected to nāma

nāma depends on upbringing and past life Karma.

It seems genetic because intelligent parents lead to good upbringing and higher intelligence in offspring and that perpetuates itself down generations

That is why blacks in USA will not improve their IQ as long as they diverge away from mainstream US culture .. call themselves DeShawn and Shanice instead of David and Susan, have weird hairdo, listen to strange music and have Michael Jackson as an idol instead of General Colin Powell

Asian American IQ will rise because they lean into the US mainstream instead of opposing it.

Ex-Governer of South Carolina, Nikki Haley, is actually Nimrata Randhwa from Amritsar Punjab. In less than a generation she has become more American than most Americans and is the US ambassador to UN

While she leaned into US mainstream

They leaned away

Safe to say it will appear that Nicki Haley's kids are genetically gifted

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:08 pm

Who said IQ is the only predictor of success ? I've refuted that idea numerous times throughout this topic. I've said that it's by far the best predictor of success, with 3 times higher correlation than having wealthy parents for example, while certainly not being the only predictor of success.

What you have presented has nothing to do with IQ. Cultural influences that indeed might be even bigger than IQ fall into the category of "other factors important for success besides IQ".

This is why east asians make much better use of their IQ advantage than caucasians. They have an even better culture (in terms of helping for success) than caucasians. This results in the income difference and academic success differences between east asians and caucasians being much higher than the difference in IQ between these populations. The reverse is true for blacks where besides the IQ gap, cultural problems also come into play. Though I don't believe black culture is that bad for promoting success and inteligence. I think it's a billion levels above gypsy culture for example.

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 am

Lecture on realities of a society with an average IQ of 80
Cliffs;
Severely impaired abstract and counter-factual reasoning
Languages do not have words for abstracts like time, space, justice, future, past, morality, rudeness, precision etc

not sure what to make of it, seems f***d up :shrug:
Last edited by DNS on Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: questionable, possibly disruptive video removed until we get time to access

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Wed May 23, 2018 11:05 am

this thread seems to really appeal to racists, sad!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Wed May 23, 2018 1:38 pm

lyndon taylor wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:05 am
do you know what defines a racist? Do define racism
Is this racist?

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Wed May 23, 2018 6:47 pm

rightviewftw wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:38 pm
lyndon taylor wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:05 am
do you know what defines a racist? Do define racism
Is this racist?
I think it depends on the intention of sharing it. Why is this important?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 23, 2018 7:07 pm

rightviewftw wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:38 pm
Is this racist?
It depends on the intention as Bundokji noted and also if evidence to the contrary is considered.

Arthur Jensen was controversial because of those writings on race.
In a later article, Jensen argued that his claims had been misunderstood:

...nowhere have I "claimed" an "innate deficiency" of intelligence in blacks. My position on this question is clearly spelled out in my most recent book: "The plain fact is that at present there exists no scientifically satisfactory explanation for the differences between the IQ distributions in the black and white populations. The only genuine consensus among well-informed scientists on this topic is that the cause of the difference remains an open question." (Jensen, 1981a, p. 213).
Although a critic of Jensen's thesis,[14] economist Thomas Sowell, criticizing the taboo against research on race and intelligence, wrote:

Professor Jensen pointed out back in 1969 that black children's IQ scores rose by 8 to 10 points after he met with them informally in a play room and then tested them again after they were more relaxed around him. He did this because "I felt these children were really brighter than their IQ would indicate." What a shame that others seem to have less confidence in black children than Professor Jensen has had.[15]
Lisa Suzuki and Joshua Aronson of New York University wrote that Jensen had largely ignored evidence which failed to support his position that IQ test score gaps represent genetic racial differences.[27]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Jensen

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Wed May 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Bundokji wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:47 pm
I think it depends on the intention of sharing it. Why is this important?
It is and it isn't important, i think evolutionary biology and intelligence in particular is an interesting subject. Questions like "why.." or "how..." can't be answered if one does not study the data.

Its hard to imagine anybody who understands statistics would be offended by this really.

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Wed May 23, 2018 7:31 pm

rightviewftw wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:16 pm
It is and it isn't important, i think evolutionary biology and intelligence in particular is an interesting subject.
I can only speak about myself. The term "truth" can be a favorite tool of my unenlightened mind to promote itself. What would be more ego-inflating than conveying an image of an "intellectual hero" who is fearless to engage in sensitive and divisive topics under the guise of objectivity?

But again, this is only me!
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Wed May 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Bundokji wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:31 pm
rightviewftw wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:16 pm
It is and it isn't important, i think evolutionary biology and intelligence in particular is an interesting subject.
I can only speak about myself. The term "truth" can be a favorite tool of my unenlightened mind to promote itself. What would be more ego-inflating than conveying an image of an "intellectual hero" who is fearless to engage in sensitive and divisive topics under the guise of objectivity?

But again, this is only me!
Ego inflating, perhaps becoming an expert in some field or profession. I don't think largely speculating and citing other people's research is very high up there.

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Wed May 23, 2018 10:30 pm

Circle5 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 am
Some facts about average IQ:

australian aboriginal: 59
bushman:61
sub saharan: 70
caucasian: 100
east asian: 106
ashkanazi jew: 126

The deen of Harward was forced to resign because of PC censorship of these facts. He was asked why do black students have, on average, lower grades and he replied that it might have to do with differences in average IQ.

The fact that some guys in the past used this to justify slavery in north america should not make us censor science. Those same guys used christianity to justify their actions. (slaves have no souls idea) Does that mean we should now censor christianity ? Children have lower IQ than adults and nobody seems to have a problem with that. Usually it is people with higher IQ than us that we tend to be jealous of and develop hatred towards.

As for those in the "IQ means nothing" camp or "IQ is just a social construction and it just means you can pass a certain test" - they should ask themselves why were some groups of people unable to learn how to make a fire or invent the wheel if this thing is just some random number on a paper.
The problem is that above does not state *why* the average IQ might be lower in some cases and leads ppl to draw the wrong conclusions regarding race.

For much of human history, Africa was cut-off from the whole world by

1) the impenetrable Sahara desert
2) surrounded by Ocean

So it could not learn from the interchange of ideas and technology the way, for instance the west learned about math and science from the Muslims who in turn learned from thier contacts with India and China.
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi