London murder rate higher than NYC?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
SDC

London murder rate higher than NYC?

Post by SDC » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:14 pm

Indeed, "If there were assault rifles it would be far worse", but this is still pretty disturbing. Is this really as bad as it seems?

http://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-london-43610936
A spike in violent crime in London saw more murders committed in the city in February and March than there were in New York, figures show.

So far in 2018, the Met Police has investigated 46 murders, compared with 50 in the US city.

But, while New York's murder rate decreased from the end of January, London's rose markedly from that point.

Ex-Met Police Ch Supt Leroy Logan says it is proof that "London's violent traits have become a virus".

Virgo

Re: London murder rate higher than NYC?

Post by Virgo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:18 pm

Well like I said before what they need is more CCTV and higher sentences. They also need more education for the youth on how harmful crime is. Additionally they need programs to educate and re-assimilate criminals more after prison. Like all nations, England - and the whole UK - need to take a page from the Scandinavian countries in this regard.

Kevin

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:39 pm

London has many millions of people. This is likely comparing the murder rate of London to the burough of Manhattan of New York City (there are 5 buroughs). Its not an apt comparison unless the populations are equivalent.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:53 pm

So here is a graphic from wikipedia showing the murder rate for the last 27 years.
0009.JPG
0009.JPG (53.66 KiB) Viewed 453 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_London

P.S SDC your link might need editing.

SDC

Post by SDC » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:24 pm

Mr Man wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:53 pm
P.S SDC your link might need editing.
Fixed. Thanks.

Alexander____

Post by Alexander____ » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:02 pm

Virgo wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:18 pm
Well like I said before what they need is more CCTV and higher sentences. They also need more education for the youth on how harmful crime is. Additionally they need programs to educate and re-assimilate criminals more after prison. Like all nations, England - and the whole UK - need to take a page from the Scandinavian countries in this regard.

Kevin
I think the UK has more CCTV than anywhere in the world. The prison system is bursting at the seams with more inside than ever.

The sentences for knife crime have gone up by 50% in the past decade

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -sentences

The other points I agree with

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:13 pm

Though somewhat disturbing broad statistics reveal little about crime.

Is it a case of low-life killing low-life? Then society at large has nothing to worry about. We will never know what was the social and economic background of the murderers from these statistics.

Crimes like rape are more revealing (pun not intended) because rape occurs across all economic classes. Rising rape statistics particularly date rape would be very disturbing.

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:07 pm

Alexander____ wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:02 pm
Virgo wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:18 pm

Kevin
I think the UK has more CCTV than anywhere in the world. The prison system is bursting at the seams with more inside than ever.

The sentences for knife crime have gone up by 50% in the past decade

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -sentences

The other points I agree with
They do have more CCTV than anywhere else and it is extremely effective. That is why they need more. The fact that sentences for knife crime have gone by half in the last decade is also very good. But yes, the youth need more effective education to get them away from gangs, violence, and crime. This is part of what education should be in schools. Telling some people "don't do it or you'll go to jail" simply isn't very effective for a large part of the population. They need to understand how harmful crime is, how it hurts people, the long term effects it has on individuals and society, they need to see statistics and so on. And yes, the majority of criminals released just go back to crime, they are not rehabilitated properly.

If a society has that much crime, it has a disease.

Kevin

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:22 am

Greetings Virgo,
Virgo wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:07 pm
If a society has that much crime, it has a disease.
Yes, it's called post-modernism.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:58 am

Check out this data:
List of countries by intentional homicide rate by decade
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... _by_decade
I think it is difficult to make a case for post modernism with respect to this data but I don't know anything about postmodernism and maybe it is not as modern as I assume.

Seems like there are cultural influences which go far beyond postmodernism but I don't know for sure.
chownah

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:51 pm

This is a great television show by the way. It is on netflix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caught_on_Camera

Kevin

Alexander____

Post by Alexander____ » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:32 pm

If it is a disease then CCTV and increasing prison sentences doesn't make a difference. It might make sense that it would, but the evidence doesn't show that. To treat a disease you have to treat the cause not the symptoms

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:03 pm

Alexander____ wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:32 pm
If it is a disease then CCTV and increasing prison sentences doesn't make a difference. It might make sense that it would, but the evidence doesn't show that. To treat a disease you have to treat the cause not the symptoms
I wrote:

Virgo wrote: But yes, the youth need more effective education to get them away from gangs, violence, and crime. This is part of what education should be in schools. Telling some people "don't do it or you'll go to jail" simply isn't very effective for a large part of the population. They need to understand how harmful crime is, how it hurts people, the long term effects it has on individuals and society, they need to see statistics and so on. And yes, the majority of criminals released just go back to crime, they are not rehabilitated properly.
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=31594&p=466345#p466268

and

Virgo wrote: They also need more education for the youth on how harmful crime is. Additionally they need programs to educate and re-assimilate criminals more after prison. Like all nations, England - and the whole UK - need to take a page from the Scandinavian countries in this regard.
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=31594&p=466345#p466159

Kevin

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:47 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)