Wild Wild Country, Osho documentary

If you wish to raise new topics on News, Current Events & Politics, please do so at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
Saengnapha

Wild Wild Country, Osho documentary

Post by Saengnapha » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:54 pm

I just finished watching the 6 part documentary Wild Wild Country, an epic story of the Rajneesh migration to Oregon state in America and the events that led up to their demise and ultimately to Rajneesh's demise. This is an amazingly told tale gathering footage from both the Rajneesh side and the Oregonian side that was instrumental in getting them to leave the state. I'm wondering if anyone has viewed this and had any comment to make about it? For me, it is a bizarre tale on many levels.

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Wild Wild Country, Osho documentary

Post by DNS » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:18 pm

I haven't watched that documentary, but I did follow the events live on the news back in the 1980s and I read some of his writings. He is kind of interesting; he's not a race car driver turned cult-leader like Rael. Rajneesh was a philosophy professor in India, born a Jain and he included lots of writings and talks on the Buddha and Mahavira. He kept meditation in his teachings and then was another sex-cult with members engaging in open relationships. His community was set-up in typical communist fashion, with him as the supreme leader living in luxury, driving a different Rolls Royce car everyday while the community members worked and lived in poverty.

Like all sex-cults, dukkha set in and it all but disappeared.

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:44 pm

I began reading Rajneesh's pre-"Osho" stuff in 2001-2002, and had no idea about the cult that had developed in Oregon. I liked his writings and approach. I was reading a lot of Advaita Vedanta at the time. Goes to show that the morality of teachers is one of the first things to consider, not their teachings.

Disciple

Post by Disciple » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:09 pm

Regardless of his personal life, he was a funny guy with lots of wisdom. I still enjoy listening to his talks from time to time.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:11 pm

dharmacorps wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:44 pm
Goes to show that the morality of teachers is one of the first things to consider, not their teachings.
For me, that's the quote of the day. Thank you.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:13 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:11 pm
dharmacorps wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:44 pm
Goes to show that the morality of teachers is one of the first things to consider, not their teachings.
For me, that's the quote of the day. Thank you.
It's almost straight out of this sutta:
“Bhāradvāja, take the case of a mendicant living supported by a town or village. A householder or their child approaches and searches them for three kinds of things: things that arouse greed, things that provoke hate, and things that promote delusion. ‘Does this venerable have any qualities that arouse greed? Such qualities that, were their mind to be overwhelmed by them, they might say that they know, even though they don’t know, or that they see, even though they don’t see; or that they might encourage others to do what is for their lasting harm and suffering?’ Searching them they find that they have no such qualities that arouse greed. Rather, that venerable has bodily and verbal behavior like that of someone without greed. And the principle that they teach is deep, hard to see, hard to understand, peaceful, sublime, beyond the scope of reason, subtle, comprehensible to the astute. It’s not easy for someone with greed to teach this.’
https://suttacentral.net/mn95/en/sujato#nya17
:heart:
Mike

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:51 pm

:anjali: Along those same lines, Ajahn Jayasaro said in a talk recently "When a guru or teacher tells you they have "transcended morality" you need to run, not walk away".

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:01 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:13 pm

It's almost straight out of this sutta:
:thumbsup: Thanks. And it's easier to memorise!

Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:09 am

What struck me was the utter disregard of their effect on those nearby who had to live with this kind of cult and its influence on their lives. Not to speak of the members, who allowed their own self indulgence to completely overwhelm common sense.

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:47 am

DNS wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:18 pm
.......... while the community members worked and lived in poverty.
All indications are that the vast bulk of the community members lived a simple life style and were happy with that.
The rolls royces were somewhat of a joke.....it was used to point out that the people who were against their community were obsessed with wealth while they were not.....that it was of no importance to them what kind of automobile one was riding in or even if one had an automobile....to consider that important was considered to be simply an attachment to wealth.
chownah