Why being a loner may be good for your health

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Dinsdale

Re: Why being a loner may be good for your health

Post by Dinsdale » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:34 am

Kamran wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:10 am
Dinsdale wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:20 am
Kamran wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:18 pm
Isolation causes depression. This has been clinically proven.
Is it being alone, or the feeling of being lonely? These two things are not synonymous.

And to quote a line from one of Sartre's plays: "Hell is other people". :stirthepot:
Even for those that enjoy being alone and choose to be alone, by isolating themselves they will lose social skills, lose contact with ppl that care for them etc and unwittingly cause themselves to develop depression even if they don't realize that they have depression because they think they have chosen to be alone or prefer it...
So what is a person like when they supposedly have depression but don't feel depressed? :shrug:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

paul

Post by paul » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:25 am

If they are a Buddhist it means they are not depressed, but western conventional society cannot understand their worldview and thinks they should be depressed. If you live according to the dhamma, isolation does not cause depression. The goal of conventional society is to ensure you are a contributing member, if that is impaired you are expected to be depressed. The goal of the dhamma is freedom from suffering; the process of transition from one goal to the other involves periods of isolation just as natural metamorphosis involves time in a cocoon. In Thailand laypeople can drop out and spend time in a monastery at any period of their life.

“Renouncing violence
for all living beings,
harming not even a one,
you would not wish for offspring,
so how a companion?
Wander alone
like a rhinoceros." etc.—-Sutta Nipata 1.3

LG2V

Post by LG2V » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:09 am

I disagree with this article. Being a loner is almost always bad, unless you're already well on the path to enlightenment or at the goal, or unless all of the people around you are horrible. Even in the case of the latter, loneliness is more of the lesser of two evils than any actual good. Just my opinion.
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:24 pm

LG2V wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:09 am
I disagree with this article. Being a loner is almost always bad, unless you're already well on the path to enlightenment or at the goal, or unless all of the people around you are horrible. Even in the case of the latter, loneliness is more of the lesser of two evils than any actual good. Just my opinion.
You're still conflating loneliness and being alone. These are not the same thing. You can feel lonely in a crowd, in a social group, or even in a marriage.
Buddha save me from new-agers!