International TV channels

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Kim OHara

Re: International TV channels

Post by Kim OHara » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:06 am

No_Mind wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:28 am
Disciple wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:41 pm
I stopped watching the news along time ago except for local stuff. Can't trust any mainstream media outlets out there these days. All controlled by Zionist scum.
BBC, Al Jazeera, DW, CGTN, RT, France 24 are controlled by Zionists?

:namaste:
Don't worry - that's :alien: talk.
Or a joke.

I hope it's the latter.

But I'm not sure.

Note to Disciple: smileys make your meaning clearer.

:coffee:
Kim
Last edited by Kim OHara on Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:18 am

Justsit wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:59 am
Kim OHara wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:02 pm
No_Mind wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:52 am
Due to their wealth they are arrogant.
I can't agree completely with that, but there is truth in it. Not all Americans are rich by global standards, but most are. If you (or we) are travelling in Sough Asia, there's even more truth in it, since poorer Americans (and Aussies) don't travel overseas much.
The country as a whole is rich, too, and acts that way on the global stage.
I disagree that most Americans are wealthy. On paper Americans may appear "wealthy" but American poverty wears a different face than in third world countries. For a first world country, America is a disgrace. Social services are increasingly burdened and financially constrained.

Real wages have remained stagnant since the 70's. Many families are one paycheck away from insolvency, and have little or no savings. One accident or severe illness (no free or even reasonably priced health care, remember) can cost $50,000 or more and bankrupt a moderate income family in no time. The average family carries $16,000 in credit card debt, not counting student loans that are staggering. Many seniors subsist on $1200/month or less, which sounds like a lot until you consider even the most inexpensive housing is $600-800/month, milk costs $4/gallon, a box of cereal can be $5, a prescription for a common heart medicine can cost $150/mo. or more. There are electric bills, water bills, sewer bills, property taxes, sales taxes, insurance (mandatory if you have a car), car payments (almost a total necessity, as there is little or no public transportation anywhere outside big cities), income taxes, etc.

American poverty doesn't make the news; it is hidden in tent cities under interstate highways, in halfway houses and homeless shelters, in families living in cars, in dilapidated unsafe housing projects, in the ghettos of Chicago and Detroit, East LA and the Bronx, the backwaters of West Virginia and Kentucky. As a home health nurse I have seen plenty of homes with no running water, families using the bathtub or a five gallon bucket as a toilet, no electricity, roaches, filth, all the hallmarks of chronic sustained poverty - all within 5 city blocks of one of the corporate headquarters of one of American's largest banks. No jobs, no money, no hope, drug infested neighborhoods. Some public schools now provide free breakfast because the kids don't get fed at home, either no money or addicted parents and dysfunctional families. The picture is not pretty. I'm sure many of you who get your information about the US from media don't believe me, or think I'm exaggerating, or think that "Oh, that's not real poverty" just because it isn't as bad as a third world country, but the suffering is just as real. Sadly, I'm sure that there are even Americans here who will disagree with me, but I can vouch for what I see with my own eyes.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... rapporteur
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... verty_rate

The wealth is concentrated at the top, the result of putting the proverbial foxes in charge of the hen house. This graphic only goes to 2007, before the recession. It's even worse now.
:goodpost:
Thanks, Justsit.

I was somewhat aware of all this, especially the growing divide between the richest and the rest, but what I'm (still) not clear on, I guess, is the median standard of living, i.e. how good or bad is it for a family that's doing better than 50% of the population but not as well as the other 50%.
If that family owns a home, a car and a TV (and not too much debt) then my statement that most Americans are rich by global standards holds (roughly) true. If not, I was probably wrong :embarassed: and I'm glad to know the truth.

Kim

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:25 am

No_Mind wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:31 am

Off topic but post Brexit, Britain can hardly be called an European country. It voted to leave European Union. Britain now is no more European than Moldova, Lithuania, Kazakhstan, Latvia are Russian.

Yes, that was my point. Geographically, we are counted as part of Europe, but after Brexit we will no longer be part of the polotical and economic entity.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:29 am

Kim OHara wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:04 am

Can I make you both slightly unhappy?
I did think of the UK but then decided to count it as sharing a land border because of the channel tunnel :tongue: and yes, it's still European because "Europe" is not a political term but a geographical one.

But none of the above makes any difference whatsoever to my main point which is the degree of unavoidable engagement with other countries and their people.

Kim
Yes, absolutely right, of course. I was referring to the political and economic entity. And I'm all in favour of engagement with other countries and their people; not only unavoidable, but highly desirable!

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:50 am

Is Trump your leader? Trump is David's leader.
So. Are You take the responsibility for everything happening in India?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:12 am

SarathW wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:50 am
Is Trump your leader? Trump is David's leader.
So. Are You take the responsibility for everything happening in India?
I am not culpable but surely I have to share blame .. I take pride in my Indian identity and in my nation's history and progress .. I have to bear equal shame about what is wrong.

The German cars built here are my achievement .. but the garbage on the street is someone else's problem cannot be true.

I know one thing: that I know nothing

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:18 am

I have to bear equal shame about what is wrong.
Do you think that you are not doing enough in your capacity?
What else would you like to do to change present situation in India?
I had a similar mental attitude about Sri Lanka.
Now I do not have the feeling of responsibility to my country.
My responsibility end at the present moment.
I do what ever I can do right now according to my capacity.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:23 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:46 pm
Last week my exasperated reaction to a Romanian arguing ceaselessly with me was .. my country can nuke you back to stone age but you cannot do the same to us .. power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

A country with lower economic development than Kenya or Syria after 7 years of brutal war can nuke a NATO and EU member country, 8 times richer than it.... I think you forgot about Article 5. Also, there are nukes on Romanian territory right now at Deveselu through the nuclear-sharing program of the USA. There is even an anti-rocket shield at Deveselu (something India is decades away from having) that would stop a nuclear attack. Despite being 55 times bigger, India has inferior nuclear capabilities on it's territory because that's what happens if you're poorer than Kenia. Richer and more civilized countries are generally more important and have stronger allies.

Also having a nuke means nothing. North Korea has 1000$ pib per capita but has a nuke. Romania was a couple of years away from having a nuke when it was standing at 1500$ pib per capita.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romania_a ... estruction

And another problem of being an african country: Despite being 55 times smaller, Romania will also have a nuclear energy production equal to India after our 3rd, 4th and 5th reactor will be ready. Two of them are almost ready, this article is outdated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_by_country

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:40 pm

Circle5 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:23 pm
No_Mind wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:46 pm
Last week my exasperated reaction to a Romanian arguing ceaselessly with me was .. my country can nuke you back to stone age but you cannot do the same to us .. power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack
And then ..

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:46 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:40 pm
quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack

And then ..

That's India after Article 5 :mrgreen:

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Circle5 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:46 pm
No_Mind wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:40 pm

And then ..

That's India after Article 5 :mrgreen:
At least have the originality of coming up with your own joke

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:03 pm

Regarding the TV channels posted here, some remarks:

- 81% of Al-Jazeera viewers support ISIS. Though the channel is indeed more objective than one would expect because they invite people with different opinions to speak from time to time

- Russia Today and any other similar channels have propaganda as their sole goal. They do not let people with a different opinion speak and the level of propaganda is very low, Info Wars conspiracy-theory level. Though they are good for reportings on Syria, the only problem Russia is actually in the right so the propaganda corresponds at least slightly with reality.

But note I never watch TV, especially TV from other countries so I am not informed by what has came out of Al-Jazeera after the recent problems of Qatar with their friends. (Al-jazeera is owned by Qatar)

Disciple

Post by Disciple » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:03 pm

Kim OHara wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:06 am
No_Mind wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:28 am
Disciple wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:41 pm
I stopped watching the news along time ago except for local stuff. Can't trust any mainstream media outlets out there these days. All controlled by Zionist scum.
BBC, Al Jazeera, DW, CGTN, RT, France 24 are controlled by Zionists?

Don't worry - that's :alien: talk.
Or a joke.

I hope it's the latter.

But I'm not sure.

Note to Disciple: smileys make your meaning clearer.

:coffee:
Kim
Totally forgot about the smiley. I'll try to remember for next time :lol: