International TV channels

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
No_Mind

International TV channels

Post by No_Mind » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:25 am

On the 15th anniversary of the dastardly attack of Iraq by U.S. it is more important than ever for Americans to tune in to news from variety of perspectives .. including Russians and Chinese.

There is a world beyond CNN, MSNBC and Fox. To Americans opposite of Fox means CNN .. opposite of Fox is opinion from France, Germany, UK not Atlanta, Georgia.

France 24 live

Al Jazeera live

https://www.aljazeera.com/live/

BBC tv. It is not live but click play all

https://www.youtube.com/user/bbcnews/vi ... &flow=grid

DW news from Germany live (view in new tab)

Chinese network CGTN tv live

Russia Today. It is not live but click play all

https://www.youtube.com/user/RussiaToday/videos

In case these links break you can always google them e.g. "youtube FRANCE 24 Live/DW live/ BBC news live" and find the feed again

You do not have to watch daily but just let any one of them play in the background while you do your chores (To begin with Al Jazeera, BBC, DW, Franc e 24). Listen for few years .. find out how we think

:namaste: from rest of the world
I know one thing: that I know nothing

dylanj

Re: International TV channels

Post by dylanj » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:32 am

we're not all incompetent slobs.

i don't really go out of my way to read news anymore but when I did I used telesur, RT, South China Morning Post, Hindustan Times/Times of India, & some others
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
sammā­sambud­dha­desitaṁ;
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,
yattha dukkhaṁ nirujjhatī

Oh! extinction is so very blissful,
As taught by the One Rightly Self-Awakened:
Sorrowless, stainless, secure;
Where suffering all ceases

etaṁ santaṁ etaṁ paṇītaṁ yadidaṁ sabbasaṅkhārasamatho sabbūpadhipaṭi nissaggo taṇhakkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānaṁ

This is peaceful, this is excellent, that is: the stilling of all preparations, the relinquishment of all attachments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation, extinction.

dylanj

Post by dylanj » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:34 am

& I would never read CNN or Fox of course they are awful. For the record I doubt BBC or really any mainstream UK sources are any better.

I also don't trust Al Jazeera
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,

etaṁ santaṁ etaṁ paṇītaṁ yadidaṁ sabbasaṅkhārasamatho sabbūpadhipaṭi nissaggo taṇhakkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānaṁ

This is peaceful, this is excellent, that is: the stilling of all preparations, the relinquishment of all attachments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation, extinction.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:45 am

dylanj wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:32 am

i don't really go out of my way to read news anymore but when I did I used telesur, RT, South China Morning Post, Hindustan Times/Times of India, & some others
Of course not all. USSR had Solzhenitsyn and US has David and JeffR.

But make no mistake .. most of the 60 million Democrats are as dismissive of rest of the world as Republicans .. it would be a mistake to assume all 60 million Dem voters are of same temperament as David or JeffR.

:namaste:

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:47 am

dylanj wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:34 am
I also don't trust Al Jazeera
I do not trust CNN but I watch it daily. It has little to do with trust or distrust.

dylanj

Post by dylanj » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:50 am

No_Mind wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:45 am
dylanj wrote:

But make no mistake .. most of the 60 million Democrats are as dismissive of rest of the world as Republicans .. it would be a mistake to assume all 60 million Dem voters are of same temperament as David or JeffR.

yeah americans r bad by & large
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:52 am

dylanj wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:50 am
No_Mind wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:45 am
dylanj wrote:

yeah americans r bad by & large
No. Americans are not bad. Due to geography they are isolated. Due to their wealth they are arrogant. That is all.

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:01 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:52 am

No. Americans are not bad. Due to geography they are isolated. Due to their wealth they are arrogant.
You are making a very sweeping generalization here. Some Americans are arrogant; most are not wealthy.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Justsit wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:01 pm
No_Mind wrote:

No. Americans are not bad. Due to geography they are isolated. Due to their wealth they are arrogant.
You are making a very sweeping generalization here. Some Americans are arrogant; most are not wealthy.
Compared to Europeans .. I believe from what my friends and relatives have told me .. Americans are very wealthy. Maybe I am wrong. I do not know but Harvard Business Review agrees with me.

https://hbr.org/2017/04/why-the-u-s-is- ... ge-country

It is a statistical fact that Americans know least about the global affairs and geography. I can share 50 more articles like this but it would serve no purpose.

http://www.newsweek.com/how-ignorant-ar ... cans-66053

To be honest one knows very little about people poorer/less powerful than them .. I make a lot of effort to understand culture of Germany or France or Sweden but how much effort do I make personally about understanding culture of Indonesia or South Africa or Brazil .. none.

Last week my exasperated reaction to a Romanian arguing ceaselessly with me was .. my country can nuke you back to stone age but you cannot do the same to us .. power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:00 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:46 pm
Justsit wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:01 pm
No_Mind wrote:

Compared to Europeans .. I believe from what my friends and relatives have told me .. Americans are very wealthy. Maybe I am wrong. I do not know but Harvard Business Review agrees with me.
Statistical GDP per capita on paper is no measure of the actual wealth of individual Americans. On the ground US income disparity is huge. Also, comparing dollar figures internationally does not reflect costs of living.

From http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/22/news/ec ... index.html.

In any case, sorry for the digression.
:focus:

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:14 pm

Is David an American? What about Bhikkhu Bodhi?
The problem here is not whether we are Americans or Russians.
The problem is we identify ourselves as Americans or Russians.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Disciple

Post by Disciple » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:41 pm

I stopped watching the news along time ago except for local stuff. Can't trust any mainstream media outlets out there these days. All controlled by Zionist scum.

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:07 pm

SarathW wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:14 pm
Hey, tell it to No MInd. He's the one that wants us all to identify our country. :tongue:

It doesn't matter to me, but apparently it does to some.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:02 pm

Justsit wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:07 pm
SarathW wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:14 pm
Hey, tell it to No MInd. He's the one that wants us all to identify our country. :tongue:

It doesn't matter to me, but apparently it does to some.
I have said before that the one piece of information about ourselves which helps other members understand us fastest is in fact just that - geographical location. In the first place, it gives readers a guide to (likely) English competence. In the second, it gives readers a (rough) guide to what we understand to be "normal". :thinking:
No_Mind wrote:
No. Americans are not bad. Due to geography they are isolated.
I agree completely with that - at least amongst "Western" nations.
Europeans all have land borders with other countries speaking other languages and can (and do) routinely travel to foreign countries for business and holidays, if not relocate to them to work there. Aussies travel overseas a lot, and many move overseas to live for a few years or more (one figure I've seen is that 5% of Aussies are living overseas at any given time). And of course a large percentage of us were born overseas, or our parents were, so we have all those connections as well. Kiwis are like Aussies. I don't know about Canadians.
And all our countries are small enough that we need to know what others are up to. :spy:
The US is big enough and diverse enough that it can afford to be insular, and (from all I see of its media) that's what happens.
No_Mind wrote:
Due to their wealth they are arrogant.
I can't agree completely with that, but there is truth in it. Not all Americans are rich by global standards, but most are. If you (or we) are travelling in Sough Asia, there's even more truth in it, since poorer Americans (and Aussies) don't travel overseas much.
The country as a whole is rich, too, and acts that way on the global stage.

Kim

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:57 pm

Kim OHara wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:02 pm
Europeans all have land borders with other countries speaking other languages
I'm not sure if this is overlooking the UK, or is merely an endorsement of our 2016 decision to leave the European Union and thereby become less European, but if the latter then thank you for reminding me and making me happy!