What's an American to do?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
SDC

Re: What's an American to do?

Post by SDC » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:37 am

binocular wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:51 pm
SDC wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:18 pm
True, but what I mean is, that just by being who you are, that is a part of the national identity. Just because people are constantly trying to define what we're supposed to be, doesn't ever change what we are. And the former can never supersede the latter. Ever.
Of course. It's just tough when one is actually being discriminated against because of one's (original) nationality or race. Being discriminated against like that can bring up one's deepest existential fears, and it's those that are so difficult to deal with.
While I have had the deepest of existential fears, I did not have them induced via discrimination, so it would be unfair for me to speak from that POV.

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:14 am

Yes, this is better not to identify yourself with any nation. Once you die - there is a high probability you'll change your nation -)

(As this notice says, if you behave yourself bad, you'll be born in Russia :D )
I've heard that the recent economic catastrophe in Venezuela has happened in order to provide a suitable rebirth ground for USA collage teachers from the 60s who have now reached old age and have started passing out. Though Russia or Romania countryside would do just fine.
While I have had the deepest of existential fears,
I kept telling you about that stuff but you didn't listen :mrgreen:
Attachments
the-dangers-of-postmodernism-fb-com-schadenerd-after-before-chronic-exposure-can-5082149.png
the-dangers-of-postmodernism-fb-com-schadenerd-after-before-chronic-exposure-can-5082149.png (102.22 KiB) Viewed 245 times

Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:24 am

I've sort of had the works on my part. I'm a girl so I've had men threaten to rape me before, I'm a Hispanic American so I've had people tell me to go to my own country (!) or I'd be beaten, I've had an aunt tell me I'm going to hell for rejecting Christianity, and I've been told my sicknesses both physical and mental were not real.

The last one had a happy ending however.

I have a rare immune disorder that tears abscesses into my insides that is aggravated by stress, and then good old fashioned depression and anxiety. One of those abscesses ended up nearly in my lungs so I had to be taken to the hospital. A family member or two thought I was malingering until I ended up getting operated on and they were gambling on my chances. After the operation they saw how mistaken their views were and they were able to apologize and luckily I made it (huzzah!).

But I'm afraid of this new wave of pessimism in my life.

It's strange that the aforementioned threats to my well being bothers me infinitely less than the notion of this proverbial gap between me and those very same people that threatened me being completely insurmountable.

The scary bit for me is that there's some people who would still actually never wish to see that what they did was wrong, and that they'd do it again, and maybe to someone else less stable than me. Someone could get hurt.

Then in context of how this relates to the politics of the day, it alarms me greatly that people write off minorities so completely. While I don't think I personally bring much to the table, I sure think there's people like me who bring greatness to this country. I've met DACA recipients and nurses and doctors who are hispanic who commit their every day to helping others. I've seen nurses and housekeepers for the elderly defending the rights of people whose healthcare was taken away because 'reforming healthcare is bad' and I think it's genuinely sad.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:06 am

chownah wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:02 am
I think what you present is a quintessential example of the dukkha which arises when one wrongly grasps identity.....in this case it is identity as an "american".
Seems like a quintessential example of the dukkha which arises from the perception of a significant diminution of goodness in the world; which results in a diminution of hope & purpose. For example, a Buddha lives only to help good people. When there are no longer any good people, a Buddha would probably have little reason to live. Similarly, when seeing the goodness of society decline, angst or unpleasant feelings arises, even for an enlightened mind.
And if I were to teach the Dhamma and others would not understand me, that would be tiresome for me, troublesome for me.'

MN 26

alfa

Post by alfa » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:12 am

DooDoot wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:06 am
chownah wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:02 am
I think what you present is a quintessential example of the dukkha which arises when one wrongly grasps identity.....in this case it is identity as an "american".
Seems like a quintessential example of the dukkha which arises from the perception of a significant diminution of goodness in the world; which results in a diminution of hope & purpose. For example, a Buddha lives only to help good people. When there are no longer any good people, a Buddha would probably have little reason to live. Similarly, when seeing the goodness of society decline, angst or unpleasant feelings arises, even for an enlightened mind.
And if I were to teach the Dhamma and others would not understand me, that would be tiresome for me, troublesome for me.'

MN 26
It's the sinners who need saving, said Jesus, not the righteous.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:01 am

alfa wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:12 am
It's the sinners who need saving, said Jesus, not the righteous.
Yes, said Jesus, but probably not the Buddha. A quote from the suttas is required to support a case the above view of Jesus applied to the Buddha.
In the same way, brahman, there is the case where a certain son of good family, out of conviction, goes forth from the home life into homelessness...