keep liberalism out of buddhism

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
DooDoot

Re: keep liberalism out of buddhism

Post by DooDoot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:02 pm

Dhammarakkhito wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:50 pm
doodooT, the evidence is in digha nikaya, if not in other places... point is, seeing past lives is verifiable thru meditation, and not thru any other means that i know of, according to the suttas, and only because it is hard to verify does not invalidate it. your quote says 'verifiable' not 'easily verifiable' or verifiable to an untrained worldling.
Sorry but there is no meditative or scriptural evidence. Inaccurate translations are not scriptural evidence, let alone meditative evidence.

:focus:
Last edited by DooDoot on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dylanj

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:36 pm

binocular wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:27 pm

For example, one woman cannot change that there are men in this world who abuse women, but she may very well be able to leave her abusive boyfriend.
yes great, she should do that, this is reasonable.
binocular wrote:
And yet here we are, living quite comfortably because other people before us struggled to make the world a better place.
i don't believe in this sort of political materialist causality. my material comfort is probably mostly due to kamma
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
sammā­sambud­dha­desitaṁ;
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,
yattha dukkhaṁ nirujjhatī

Oh! extinction is so very blissful,
As taught by the One Rightly Self-Awakened:
Sorrowless, stainless, secure;
Where suffering all ceases

etaṁ santaṁ etaṁ paṇītaṁ yadidaṁ sabbasaṅkhārasamatho sabbūpadhipaṭi nissaggo taṇhakkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānaṁ

This is peaceful, this is excellent, that is: the stilling of all preparations, the relinquishment of all assets, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation, extinction.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:37 pm

rightviewftw wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:00 pm
”Monks, a man endowed with a single quality controls the woman. What is that single quality? It is authority.

“Monks, the woman controlled by the power of authority cannot overcome it by her power of beauty, of wealth, of relatives, of sons or of virtue.”

SN 37.28

I think it is obvious that men and women are not completely equal in every aspect, that is just retarded to say.
What does SN 37.27 say? SN 37.27 says it is within a woman's power to control her husband (a man).

Also, it sounds retarded to believe you have the power to control a woman. Possibly, the meaning of SN 37.28 should be examined more closely.
rightviewftw wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:12 pm
Seemingly 37.28 is the exception to the rule of 37.27
Alternatively maybe it could be that is she has all 5 she can overcome the 1 but i am not sure what is meant.
It seems to all depend on the meaning of the translation: "Power of authority".
pasahati
pa + sah + a
uses force; subdues; oppresses.

SN 37.26
Anuga ( -- ˚) (adj. -- suff.) [fr. anu + gam] following or fol- lowed by, going after, undergoing, being in or under, standing under the influence of Sn 332 (vasa˚ in the power of), 791 (ejā˚ = abhibhūta Sn 527), 1095 (Māra<-> vasa˚ = abhibhuyya viharanti Nd2 507); It 91 (ejā˚); J iii.224 (vasa˚ = vasavattin C.); Mhvs 7, 3.

SN 37.27
issariya
neuter
power, control, authority; royal power, kingship; pomp.

SN 37.28
Now, SN 37.28 does not say whether this 'issariya' is wholesome or unwholesome. For example, in SN 3.25, 'issariya' is used to refer to an unwholesome intoxication.
Last edited by DooDoot on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

dylanj

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:38 pm

DNS wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:25 pm
dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:14 pm
I think the suffering of oppression is certainly one which must be accepted because we cannot change the whole world. Really it's impossible, & even if it were possible it is a long-term goal that will only yield fruit far in the future.
Not true. MLK, John Lewis, Gandhi, Mandela, etc. One can work on internal conditions and external conditions at the same time and see results within their own lifetime. Untouchables were ordained in the Buddha's Sangha.

"Birth makes no Brahmin, nor non-Brahmin, makes; it is life's doing that mold the Brahmin true. Their lives mold farmers, tradesmen, merchants, and serfs. Their lives mold robbers, soldiers, chaplains, and kings. By birth is not one an out-caste. By birth is not one a Brahmin. By deeds is one an out-caste. By deeds is one a Brahmin."

(Majjhima Nikaya 98, Vasettha Sutta 57-59)
none of those people eradicated oppression. it's still here, all over the world.
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,

etaṁ santaṁ etaṁ paṇītaṁ yadidaṁ sabbasaṅkhārasamatho sabbūpadhipaṭi nissaggo taṇhakkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānaṁ

This is peaceful, this is excellent, that is: the stilling of all preparations, the relinquishment of all assets, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation, extinction.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:42 pm

dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:38 pm
none of those people eradicated oppression. it's still here, all over the world.
It is by far much better than before. South Africa had apartheid. In America, regardless if you think Obama was a good president or not, there is no way he would have had any chance of winning the presidency back in the early to mid-20th century and if he was in the South, he may have even been prevented from voting.

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 pm

dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:36 pm
binocular wrote:
For example, one woman cannot change that there are men in this world who abuse women, but she may very well be able to leave her abusive boyfriend.
yes great, she should do that, this is reasonable.
And thus she can do something about being oppressed, do something other than just accept that she is oppressed.
IOW, disproving your point.
binocular wrote:
And yet here we are, living quite comfortably because other people before us struggled to make the world a better place.
i don't believe in this sort of political materialist causality. my material comfort is probably mostly due to kamma
You think you have a comfortably fast internet connection because of your kamma?

Besides, I'm not talking only about bodily comforts. For example, when I was new to Buddhism, even just mentioning a particular Buddhist teacher would make one a persona non grata in some Buddhist circles. And yet, years later, this teacher is now quite respected and you get to read his Dhamma talks and translations of suttas. This is at least partly because some of us took the force of the blow and stood firm in the face of oppression.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

dylanj

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 pm

:strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman:
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,

dylanj

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:46 pm

my view here is: dhamma practice is the best way to deal with the suffering of oppression, & it's impossibly to fully remove oppression in all forms from the world

that's it.
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:49 pm

dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 pm
:strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman: :strawman:
What a dhammic comment.
:rolleye:

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:50 pm

dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:46 pm
my view here is: dhamma practice is the best way to deal with the suffering of oppression, & it's impossibly to fully remove oppression in all forms from the world

that's it.
Since nobody [edit: in this discussion] disagrees with this stance of yours, it's not clear what the problem is.

dylanj

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:57 pm

binocular wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:50 pm
dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:46 pm

that's it.
Since nobody [edit: in this discussion] disagrees with this stance of yours, it's not clear what the problem is.
yes it's not clear to me either. i think my wording pissed people off & triggered their social justice defense-mechanisms so they freaked out & assumed things I didn't say
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:09 pm

Let's get back to ideas. How about giving some sutta support for the idea that acceptance fixes suffering? As I said, it sounds like one of those liberal "California Buddhism" memes.

Excuse my lack of a long exposition, I am on my mobile.

Mike

dylanj

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:22 pm

using social justice & politics & activism to solve one's suffering sounds like "California Buddhism" to me.

stepping away from all this & from the world altogether is not something a wook hippy casual-"buddhist" would do
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:33 pm

dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:22 pm
using social justice & politics & activism to solve one's suffering sounds like "California Buddhism" to me.

stepping away from all this & from the world altogether is not something a wook hippy casual-"buddhist" would do
I asked for sutta suuport for a particular idea. Not tired rhetoric about sjws, which has no relevance to the question.

I'm waiting....

Mike

dylanj

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:35 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:33 pm
dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:22 pm

I asked for sutta suuport for a particular idea. Not tired rhetoric about sjws, which has no relevance to the question.

I'm waiting....

Mike
i already posted soma sutta which unequivocally teaches against any form of identity politics
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,