keep liberalism out of buddhism

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
dylanj

Re: keep liberalism out of buddhism

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:56 pm
dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:50 pm

how in the world is it misogynist or racist to suggest that people accept their misfortunes? i'm not saying the unfortunate circumstances faced by women or racial minorities are in any way good, they are not, it sucks & I am sympathetic to them...I'm saying that the solution is not a movement of social resistance that aims to change the whole world but instead an internal realignment of perspective.
Well, if people criticise you for this attitude, you could hardly complain, could you? It would just be pointed out to you that, instead of complaining, you should just accept your misfortune. Forbearance is a wonderful thing, especially if everyone plays.
What complaining is there? I just responded with a legitimate question & perspective as a continuation of the discussion
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
sammā­sambud­dha­desitaṁ;
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,
yattha dukkhaṁ nirujjhatī

Oh! extinction is so very blissful,
As taught by the One Rightly Self-Awakened:
Sorrowless, stainless, secure;
Where suffering all ceases

etaṁ santaṁ etaṁ paṇītaṁ yadidaṁ sabbasaṅkhārasamatho sabbūpadhipaṭi nissaggo taṇhakkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānaṁ

This is peaceful, this is excellent, that is: the stilling of all preparations, the relinquishment of all attachments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation, extinction.

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:03 pm

dylanj wrote:
how in the world is it misogynist or racist to suggest that people accept their misfortunes? i'm not saying the unfortunate circumstances faced by women or racial minorities are in any way good, they are not, it sucks & I am sympathetic to them...I'm saying that the solution is not a movement of social resistance that aims to change the whole world but instead an internal realignment of perspective.
You're operating out of a false dichotomy -- a fallacious limitation of options. There are more options than just those two that you mention. There is also at least a third option: there is some change of one's perspective accompanied by making some changes in society.

You probably know the suttas better than I. You can probably remember those that state that some troubles need to be endured, and some actively acted against. Bottomline, not all troubles are such that they would need to be endured.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Dylan, I currently manage a unit of 60 people. In the past I have had to deal with people who simply cannot see how their actions and words undermine colleagues who are female or minority. Luckily, it's now the 21st century, and things have improved somewhat.

Of course, if one has the luxury of renouncing the world and ignoring one's current problems, then your statements might possibley be useful.

However, I questioning the logic that if people "just accept their suffering" then then their suffering will go away. I don't think that's what the Buddha taught - if anything it sounds like that liberal so-called "California Buddhism" where one is urged to just go with the flow.

:heart:
Mike

dylanj

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:06 pm

binocular wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:03 pm
dylanj wrote:
You're operating out of a false dichotomy -- a fallacious limitation of options. There are more options than just those two that you mention. There is also at least a third option: there is some change of one's perspective accompanied by making some changes in society.

You probably know the suttas better than I. You can probably remember those that state that some troubles need to be endured, and some actively acted against. Bottomline, not all troubles are such that they would need to be endured.
No there's no false dichotomy, all I said is that of the two options - social activism & acceptance - the latter is more important for ending one's pains
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,

etaṁ santaṁ etaṁ paṇītaṁ yadidaṁ sabbasaṅkhārasamatho sabbūpadhipaṭi nissaggo taṇhakkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānaṁ

This is peaceful, this is excellent, that is: the stilling of all preparations, the relinquishment of all attachments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation, extinction.

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:08 pm

dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:06 pm
No there's no false dichotomy, all I said is that of the two options - social activism & acceptance - the latter is more important for ending one's pains
Okay, then support your stance by providing a canonical reference that states that all troubles must be endured.

dylanj

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:09 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:05 pm
Dylan, I currently manage a unit of 60 people. In the past I have had to deal with people who simply cannot see how their actions and words undermine colleagues who are female or minority. Luckily, it's now the 21st century, and things have improved somewhat.

Of course, if one has the luxury of renouncing the world and ignoring one's current problems, then your statements might possibley be useful.

However, I questioning the logic that if people "just accept their suffering" then then their suffering will go away. I don't think that's what the Buddha taught - if anything it sounds like that liberal so-called "California Buddhism" where one is urged to just go with the flow.

Mike
okay. thanks for your perspective.

i want you to back up your claims of misogyny/racism please. i think they are uncalled for
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,

dylanj

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:10 pm

binocular wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:08 pm
dylanj wrote:
Okay, then support your stance by providing a canonical reference that states that all troubles must be endured.
that's not my stance

:strawman: :strawman: :strawman:
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,

dylanj

Post by dylanj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:14 pm

I think the suffering of oppression is certainly one which must be accepted because we cannot change the whole world. Really it's impossible, & even if it were possible it is a long-term goal that will only yield fruit far in the future. Simply by virtue of the fact that we are in the human realm where there are different races, different sexes, different sexualities & so on - where beings are affected by conceit & ill-will & delusion - there is inevitably inequality & discrimination. It is a suffering, of course. It is unfortunate, of course. It is unfair, of course. But this whole existence is such. If you want to escape these sufferings you should aim to be reborn in the Brahma realms where there's no sexual dichotomy. If you want to end these sufferings here & now you can eradicate your conceit & see that there is nothing in you to be oppressed.
Then Mara the Evil One, desiring to arouse fear, trepidation, and terror in the bhikkhuni Soma, desiring to make her fall away from concentration, approached her and addressed her in verse:

That state so hard to achieve
Which is to be attained by the seers,
Can't be attained by a woman
With her two-fingered wisdom.

Then it occurred to the bhikkhuni Soma: "Now who is this that recited the verse — a human being or a non-human being?" Then it occurred to her: "This is Mara the Evil One, who has recited the verse desiring to arouse fear, trepidation, and terror in me, desiring to make me fall away from concentration."

Then the bhikkhuni Soma, having understood, "This is Mara the Evil One," replied to him in verses:

What does womanhood matter at all
When the mind is concentrated well,
When knowledge flows on steadily
As one sees correctly into Dhamma.

One to whom it might occur,
'I'm a woman' or 'I'm a man'
Or 'I'm anything at all' —
Is fit for Mara to address.
SN 5.2
susukhaṁ vata nibbānaṁ,
asokaṁ virajaṁ khemaṁ,

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:16 pm

dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:10 pm
binocular wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:08 pm
dylanj wrote:
that's not my stance
Then what exactly is your stance? That, in particular, women and minorities would do best to just accept their suffering, and this would alleviate their suffering?

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:16 pm

dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:09 pm
i want you to back up your claims of misogyny/racism please. i think they are uncalled for
In my opinion those ideas are excuses for not dealing with mysogyny and racism. That's all I'm saying.

If you think that stating that is a personal attack on you, I apologise for upsetting you. However, this is a Forum about ideas, and the idea that suffering can be alleviated merely by accepting is deserves careful attention.

Mike

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:18 pm

I keep think that the Tathagata did not even want to teach to begin with, how much less should we care about what other people do.
Why should i care if people create obstacles for themselves and are on a bad Path... Why should i compromise my well-being for other people, let people do what they want imo, hell is that way, heaven is that way, deathless is that way, the Dhamma is there for all to read and see.
Last edited by rightviewftw on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:20 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:05 pm
It also sounds like something young and inexperienced people would say; possibly also those who themselves are oppressed but see no way to change the situation.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:23 pm

dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:14 pm
... If you want to escape these sufferings you should aim to be reborn in the Brahma realms where there's no sexual dichotomy. If you want to end these sufferings here & now you can eradicate your conceit & see that there is nothing in you to be oppressed.
If you are already in a reasonably good situation, with time and space for development, this might be good advice. Otherwise, it may not be a practical option.

Mike

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:25 pm

dylanj wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:14 pm
I think the suffering of oppression is certainly one which must be accepted because we cannot change the whole world. Really it's impossible, & even if it were possible it is a long-term goal that will only yield fruit far in the future.
Not true. MLK, John Lewis, Gandhi, Mandela, etc. One can work on internal conditions and external conditions at the same time and see results within their own lifetime. Untouchables were ordained in the Buddha's Sangha.

"Birth makes no Brahmin, nor non-Brahmin, makes; it is life's doing that mold the Brahmin true. Their lives mold farmers, tradesmen, merchants, and serfs. Their lives mold robbers, soldiers, chaplains, and kings. By birth is not one an out-caste. By birth is not one a Brahmin. By deeds is one an out-caste. By deeds is one a Brahmin."

(Majjhima Nikaya 98, Vasettha Sutta 57-59)

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:27 pm

Dhammarakkhito wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:38 am
knowledge of the modes and details of past lives is verifiable thru meditation and besides matters that arent immediately verifiable can be taken on faith.
There is no evidence for the first statement, above, about "past lives"; which is again taken on faith.
Last edited by DooDoot on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.