Suburbia - stupidest development in modern history ?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Circle5

Re: Suburbia - stupidest development in modern history ?

Post by Circle5 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:12 pm

Other things that I've seen mentioned while reading the comments of that rustwire article https://rustwire.com/2011/03/11/michiga ... g-us-away/

is that some say this strange urban planning unique to USA has to do with the military deciding spreading out people like that was a good idea during the cold war, in case of a nuclear attack. Though I doubt that because it doesn't make any sense.

Other big reasons appear to be the fear of black gang violence. For some reason bad neighbourghood in USA are in the middle of the "city" instead of being at the margins, and suburbia represents a way to run away from this problem. Other reasons are the government doing their best to promote this model of development through special zoning and finance laws. There are many reasons for this strange development but one thing is sure: it doesn't make any sense no matter how you spin it. And that's why no other country (except UK to some extent) has adopted this strange urban-planning model.

Besides low quality of life, many critics of suburbia point out to the obesity chrisis. I've noticed one comment on that article that explains how suburbia is influencing this:
One of the points that really resonated with me in this article was the idea of a car culture leading to a sedentary lifestyle, and how unattractive that is for a lot of 20/30-somethings who are looking to settle down somewhere.

An example from my own experiences: growing up in the Rust Belt, and I suppose being cursed with the wrong genetics (or too many processed sugars?) I’ve always struggled to keep my body at a healthy weight. I recently had the opportunity to return to Western PA: I even had a full scholarship to do a master’s course at an area university. But when it came right down to decision time, having to own a car was a dealbreaker, and I turned the master’s course down. (The expense of owning a car–insurance, gas, upkeep, etc.– was another factor, even though a family member was offering to sell me a very gently used, 3-year-old Volkswagen.)

So, expense aside, here’s why I turned it down: I know–for certain, after nearly a decade of experience–that EVERY TIME I spend more than 6 weeks in the Rust Belt, driving everywhere, hardly having to use my own muscles in the act of locomotion, I gain 10 pounds. Just like that. And it’s not vanity, right? I mean…I’m not just like, ‘Oh darn, I can’t fit into my skinny jeans anymore.’ (Not being skinny, I don’t wear skinny jeans anyhow.) It’s more like: if I stay here, how long will this continue? What is this doing to my body? Will this affect my ability to get pregnant? To do the outdoor activities I enjoy? To feel like I have enough energy to make it through the day without aches and pains? I’ve seen many members of my family wage epic battles against their own bodies, dragging themselves to Weight Watchers every few years, trying every fad diet that graces the pages of women’s magazines, and even getting gastric bypass surgery. None of these things are pleasant. To the extent that I can avoid them, simply by living a lifestyle that allows me to walk, I choose to do so.

Quality of place isn’t just something people think of in aesthetic terms. In my own life, I’ve really thought long and hard about whether to return home, and I’ve realized: quality of place affects quality of health, which has far-reaching effects on quality of life. People–myself included–really do make decisions on the basis of avoiding the “car culture,” for reasons of both physical well-being and expense.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:34 am

Circle5 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:48 pm
@No_Mind: Dacia is a Romanian car that was brought by Renault in 1999. We also had Oltcit and Aro. Dacia continues to be a romanian concept. The renault research institute that is handling the design is located in RO. It is indeed built in many other countries because it has been a successful concept. Just like India, we also manufacture other cars here but that is not something to brag about since they are not romanian concept. As for your nuclear triad, that would not have been possible without Cheauchescu illegal support for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romania_a ... estruction

More untruths, more fake news .. If you sell me flour and my wife makes a beautiful Black Forest cake does it mean you helped her make the cake? Ceaucescu sold us 14 tons of heavy water 30 years ago .. and that helps us to be a true nuclear power capable of land, sea and air launch? He sold us the flour, we made the cake .. Our ICBMs were given by Ceaucescu? You need lot more than 14 tons of heavy water for research, testing and building an arsenal. India is currently one of the largest manufacturers of heavy water in the world

Heavy water production: a success story for India

Just like India, we also manufacture other cars here but that is not something to brag about since they are not romanian concept.

No you don't. Stop lying. Romania made 400,000 odd vehicles in 2013 .. we made 23 million and you dare to compare yourself?

In Romania car plants are at Pitesti making Dacia and upcoming one at Craiova for Ford B-Max small car platform

Do you have Mercedes and BMW manufacturing units in Romania? We make engines, transmission, axles, chassis, door panels and wiring harness, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning and seats of Mercedes and BMW. Make Mercedes engine and gearbox and then compare your country to ours.

What about Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Audi? Stop fibbing!! No one builds anything in Romania.

Kecskemét in Hungary is Mercedes manufacturing center and that too A and B. We make S Class here.

If Romania helped develop Duster .. then eat this .. the largest R and D facility Mercedes has outside Germany is in India. Second largest Mercedes research facility is staffed by 2,000 Indian engineers in Bangalore .. think about it. On second thoughts don't think about it .. that is like asking a bushman to appreciate the taste of Glenlivet scotch.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/mercedes-ben ... ore-710634

You are a mini-me of Ceaucescu .. an utter fibber. No material .. and full of gas.

BTW are you related to Ceaucescu in any way .. maybe a distant nephew .. you are exactly like him .. full of lies and untruths.

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:42 pm

The article you've read is 10 years outdated. Dacia alone produces 400k and Craiova plant produces 250k. We also had Aro, a 100% romanian SUV product that won Dakar contest 2 times.

Having more manufacturing plants than Ro is normal for a country 50 times as big and 8 times poorer. All companies outsorce their production to banana countries. As for India ever being a superpower.... here is the "contrary views" sections from wiki containing some interesting facts.
Contrary views
Parag Khanna wrote in 2008 that he believes that India is not, nor will it become a superpower for the foreseeable future, lagging decades behind China in both development and strategic appetite.[82] Instead, he believes India will be a key swing state along with Russia.[83] He says that India is "big but not important", has a highly successful professional class, while millions of its citizens still live in poverty. He also writes that it matters that China borders a dozen more countries than India and is not hemmed in by a vast ocean and the world's tallest mountains.[84] However, in a recent article written by Khanna, he says that India, along with China, will grow ever stronger, while other powers, like Europe, muddle along.[85]

Lant Pritchett, reviewing the book In Spite of the Gods: The Strange Rise of Modern India, writes that, while India has had impressive growth and has some world-class institutions, several other indicators are puzzlingly poor. The malnutrition and the coverage of immunization programs are at levels similar or worse than in many sub-Saharan African nations. In the Demographic and Health Surveys, India's child malnutrition was the worst of the 42 nations with comparable and recent data.[86] Adult literacy is 61%. In one study, 26% of teachers were absent from work and 1/3 of those showing up did not teach. 40% of health care workers were absent from work. Caste politics in India remains an important force. Pritchett argues that a very large population, a very long statistical "tail" of high quality students, and some very good higher education institutions gives a misleading impression of Indian education. Indian students placed forty-first and thirty-seventh in a study comparing students in the two Indian states Odisha and Rajasthan to the forty-six nations in the 2003 Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study.[86]

Manjari Chatterjee Miller, assistant professor of international relations at Boston University, argues that India is a "would-be" great power but "resists its own rise".[87] Three factors contribute to this stagnation, she argues. First, New Delhi's foreign policy decisions are highly individualistic.[87] "This autonomy, in turn, means that New Delhi does very little collective thinking about its long-term foreign policy goals, since most of the strategic planning that takes place within the government happens on an individual level."[88] Second, a dearth of think tanks helps insulate Indian foreign policymakers from outside influences.[87] "U.S. foreign policymakers, by contrast, can expect strategic guidance from a broad spectrum of organizations that supplement the long-term planning that happens within the government itself."[89] Third, many of India's political elites believe that the country's inevitable rise is a Western construct that has placed unrealistic expectations on India's economic growth forecasts and its international commitments.[87] By contrast, Miller notes that Chinese political leaders pay very close attention to the international hype surrounding their country's growing stature.[87] Miller concludes that "India's inability to develop top-down, long-term strategies means that it cannot systematically consider the implications of its growing power. So long as this remains the case, the country will not play the role in global affairs that many expect."[90]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_superpowers

Grapth of share of GDP from Buddha times untill today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superpowe ... e_East.png

Worth noting that statistic about India having a 391$ GDP per capita in 1989, literally smaller than in the times of the Buddha. Indians living in 1989 reading the suttas did not read them like a modern person would, like looking into the past. They were reading them like people from the past reading stories about the future.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:11 pm

Circle5 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:42 pm
The article you've read is 10 years outdated. Dacia alone produces 400k and Craiova plant produces 250k. We also had Aro, a 100% romanian SUV product that won Dakar contest 2 times.

Having more manufacturing plants than Ro is normal for a country 50 times as big and 8 times poorer. All companies outsorce their production to banana countries. As for India ever being a superpower.... here is the "contrary views" sections from wiki containing some interesting facts.
I have not claimed anywhere in this thread that India is a super power. I have not claimed anywhere we have a high standard of living. All I said is I live in a block of flats and showed picture of the locality and said it is hellish (compared to American suburbs) since one has no scope of seeing any sort of animal life or lush greenery or star studded sky in middle of a huge city.

You first taunted my city out of nowhere in the first sentence of your OP (given below) .. then my country .. hence I replied ..
Circle5 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:32 pm
First of all, you should fix that image that automatically pops up on google when you search for Calcutta. It is embarrassing.
Since my second innings here from Dec 2017 I have been very careful not to say anything good about India or Asia .. but if a despicable liar and fake news peddler such as you trashes my city and country I have no choice but to point out your deficiencies.

We are very far from being a superpower and make no claims to be so. If we ever become one it will be with reluctance. All I did was defend my nation's honor against your mudslinging out of the blue.

And check out Wikipedia .. "In 2013, some 410,997 automobiles were produced in Romania" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotiv ... in_Romania

Here is a map of automobile factories in Europe http://europe.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA78290223.PDF

Open the pdf, hit Ctrl+F and type Romania and it will show 2 meaning 2 factories.

Here is the list of vehicle plants in India .. it has a wiki page of its own and is too long to count

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_v ... s_in_India

We have 4,000 years of history, art, architecture, philosophy, literature, music .. much more than you can ever dream of

This is my last answer to you regardless of what you write henceforth. I do not converse with liars.

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:13 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:11 pm
since one has no scope of seeing any sort of animal life or lush greenery or star studded sky in middle of a huge city.
I invite you to throw the little yellow man from google street view in any eastern or western european city to see if this is the case. Every flatblock has gardens all around it and also little parks every couple of them since this is how they were designed. This may be true only for eastern europe cause of the way these things were built (as mega-projects) but I am sure things are not far away in western europe either.

As for animal life, there is much more animal life in normal cities than in suburbs of course. Where exactly do animals live in suburbs ? On the front lawn with only grass and no vegetation ? Also no birds exist in suburbs, or at least not in big amounts such as they exist in normal cities. (I have some experience with birds and spoke about this with USA bird lovers)

Suburbia: only stray cats

City: stray cats, stray dogs and many species of birds. Tons of pigeons, tons of eurasian collared doves, tons of crows, jackdows and magpies + many other rarer ones. I've even seen hedgehogs living in the middle of cities in the big gardens that surround every flatblock, though it is something rare and they come out only at night. I even saw a stray cow once... but that is quite a strange story and I really don't understand it too much either.