Trump's tough stance on Nth Korea appears to have worked

If you wish to raise new topics on News, Current Events & Politics, please do so at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
manas

Re: Trump's tough stance on Nth Korea appears to have worked

Post by manas » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:36 pm

DooDoot wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:30 am
The USA has murdered & destroyed the lives of millions of innocent people in foreign nations since 9/11. North Korea have not harmed any other nation. If nuclear weapons are wrong, why not threaten Pakistan, India, Israel & the other nations with nuclear weapons. Why do not destroy all nuclear weapons of USA China, UK, France & Russia? The North Korea thing is just a puppet show theater to distract people from the US supplying & training of their mercenaries called 'Al Qaeda' who murder innocent people in Libya, Iraq & Syria. Like 9/11, people will forget North Korea as quickly as it became a topic of conversation & move to the next political non-sense like Iran. While Trump & friends loot the US Treasury, the TV makes advertising about war theater; similar to the daily non-sense in the Israeli news media that pops into my computer everyday. Read Haaretz one or twice and it spams your computer forever. Everyday, Haaretz publishes this type of non-sense; just like the US media. I am amazed how people take so seriously this fabricated war mongering like we are living in the 1800s.
I agree that targeting Nth Korea for sanctions (who have not actually attacked the U.S.) while supporting Israel, Saudi Arabia and many other equally heinous regimes, is grossly hypocritical. I'm just glad that it appears, a peaceful resolution of a crisis that might have escalated into a war in that region, seems to be likely.
I wish to add that, when I wrote the original post, I forgot about Trump's recent decision to recognize Jerusalem as the Israeli Capital. That decision is so utterly deplorable and unfair on the Palestinians, that I'm now questioning whether I want to get involved in this subject...I just gave praise to the man who made that decision re Jerusalem; makes me feel sick, because I've long followed the story of the long-suffering Palestinian People, and Trump's decision regarding that was a real kick in the guts for them.
Like a merchant with a small
but well-laden caravan
–a dangerous road,

like a person who loves life
–a poison,

one should avoid
–evil deeds.

(Dhammapada 123)

manas

Post by manas » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:50 pm

I'[m realizing how much more complex this situation is, I think I gave Trump too much credit.
Sometimes I forget that appearances are so often different from reality.
It could well be that many of the 'conflicts' in the world, are utilized as 'theatre for the masses', to keep us rabble busy thinking the enemy is 'out there' (rather than, 'among us, and with the ability to make more money in one day, than most of us will in an entire lifetime') so these so-called 'masters', the very wealthiest in the world, can keep getting away with financially screwing the other 99.99% of us.
Like a merchant with a small
but well-laden caravan
–a dangerous road,

like a person who loves life
–a poison,

one should avoid
–evil deeds.

(Dhammapada 123)

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:18 pm

See below article from yesterday:

N. Korea and Iran would give up arms tomorrow if US and Europe give up their weapons.

"Iran calls on US and Europe to scrap Nuclear Arms and Missiles"
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/03/iran-ca ... siles.html

What the Americans and Europeans really want is to keep their own Nuclear Arsenal while taking away other countries ability to defend themselves.

They just want to be free to do to Iran and N. Korea what they did to Iraq, and what they are still doing to the Palestinians.

But they can't. That's the "problem".
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:37 pm

Kamran wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:18 pm

N. Korea and Iran would give up arms tomorrow if US and Europe give up their weapons.

What the Americans and Europeans really want is to keep their own Nuclear Arsenal while taking away other countries ability to defend themselves.

They just want to be free to do to Iran and N. Korea what they did to Iraq, and what they are still doing to the Palestinians.

"ability to defend themselves" :juggling:

It's rather the ability to defent gruesomely corrupt and authoritarian dictatorships with almost no popular support. Opressive regimes willing to do anything it takes to stay forever in power, against the will of their people.

As for why are others not allowed to have them: Because there would be a volatile and dangerous world is everyone would have nuclear weapons. Also, it would lower the strenght of the 5 big powers who, like it or not, are generally much more responsible than lifetime dictators like Sadam or Kim or the iranian Ayatolah or Gadaffi.

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:39 pm

Circle5 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:37 pm
Kamran wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:18 pm

"ability to defend themselves" :juggling:

It's rather the ability to defent gruesomely corrupt and authoritarian dictatorships with almost no popular support. Opressive regimes willing to do anything it takes to stay forever in power, against the will of their people.

As for why are others not allowed to have them: Because there would be a volatile and dangerous world is everyone would have nuclear weapons. Also, it would lower the strenght of the 5 big powers who, like it or not, are generally much more responsible than lifetime dictators like Sadam or Kim or the iranian Ayatolah or Gadaffi.
The US President openly admires the dictators, like N. Koreas, and is on record asking why he can't use Nuclear Weapons.

The only thing stopping Americans from more mass murder, like the 500,000 they killed in Iraq, is the deterrent capability of other countries.

When the Americans were the only country to have the bomb they did not hesitate to use it.

It is a racist lie that the "5 Powers" are more responsible.

This is what Trump said on Camera the other day:

"He's now president for life. President for life. No, he's great. And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll have to give that a shot some day."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/05/politics ... index.html
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:13 am

manas wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:08 pm
Perhaps it takes one narcissist, to know how to get under the skin of another?
By this logic it would take a heroin addict to understand a heroin addict and if a country really wants to deal with heroin addicts its drug agents should all be heroin addicts.

Doesn't make much sense .....does it?....
chownah

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:56 am

chownah wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:13 am
manas wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:08 pm
Perhaps it takes one narcissist, to know how to get under the skin of another?
By this logic it would take a heroin addict to understand a heroin addict and if a country really wants to deal with heroin addicts its drug agents should all be heroin addicts.

Doesn't make much sense .....does it?....
chownah
Actually, it makes complete sense. Walk a mile in another's shoes, then you understand them. Before that, its just inference on the basis of incomplete information.

This:
if a country really wants to deal with heroin addicts its drug agents should all be heroin addicts.
is a hyperbolisation of the point, and is obviously an attempt at reductio ad absurdum, but doesn't work because drug agents are not meant to understand the experience of the criminal, only to catch them.

However, if one wanted to actually solve the problem of drug addiction, drug agents are insufficient - we need to understand the motivations of people who suffer from addiction if we want to prevent them from becoming criminals, because if we do not understand the motivations which drive someone to becoming an addict, then a criminal, how can we act to stop the process?
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:39 am

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:12 pm

Summit and talks to include denuclearisation of North Korea. The BBC acknowledges the existence of foreign policy realism:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43345209

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:52 pm

But wait! Threats were bad, but it's by no means certain that talks with North Korea are any better. According to the Guardian, that is.
Anyone might think that any outcome on Trump's watch would be unsatisfactory. WWOD? (What would Obama do?)

alan

Post by alan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:54 am

22-trump-orb.w710.h473.jpg
22-trump-orb.w710.h473.jpg (65.02 KiB) Viewed 667 times
Trump will get played.
They will appeal to his massive Ego.

God Dam Trump is such an easy read. He is a God Dam Fool.

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:11 am

Sam Vara wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Anyone might think that any outcome on Trump's watch would be unsatisfactory. WWOD? (What would Obama do?)
That is how it works, yes.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha