DACA Entrepreneurs

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Locked
User avatar
No_Mind
Posts: 1911
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:12 pm
Location: India

DACA Entrepreneurs

Post by No_Mind » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:05 pm

Can any American explain to me how this is possible .. how do undocumented immigrants become entrepreneurs in USA?

Where I live (India) one needs citizenship proof and UIDAI number (our version of US social security number) for everything .. renting, having a personal income tax account, having a business income tax account, for tax deduction at source account, electricity connection, phone, mobile phone, internet connection, bank account, credit and debit cards .. even to check into hotels and buy plane tickets, getting admission to schools and colleges and so on ...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/4-undocu ... 41080.html

This question is specifically aimed at Americans .. preferably those with experience of running a business like David

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

Caodemarte
Posts: 832
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: DACA Entrepreneurs

Post by Caodemarte » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:59 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:05 pm
Can any American explain to me how this is possible .. how do undocumented immigrants become entrepreneurs in USA?

Where I live (India) one needs citizenship proof and UIDAI number (our version of US social security number) for everything .. renting, having a personal income tax account, having a business income tax account, for tax deduction at source account, electricity connection, phone, mobile phone, internet connection, bank account, credit and debit cards .. even to check into hotels and buy plane tickets, getting admission to schools and colleges and so on ...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/4-undocu ... 41080.html

This question is specifically aimed at Americans .. preferably those with experience of running a business like David

:namaste:

As the story makes clear, the DACA entrepreneur has permission to work as someone with a work visa or residence card. American citizens normally do not have to show their “citizenship papers” to purchase private services. Illegal immigrants typically pay taxes, but do not ask for services so they do not come to the attention of the authorities. Or they work illegally in the low level private cash economy with no records as the young lady in the story did before the DACA program.

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 11918
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: DACA Entrepreneurs

Post by DNS » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:46 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:05 pm
Can any American explain to me how this is possible .. how do undocumented immigrants become entrepreneurs in USA?
¿Por qué no?

The U.S. is a nation of immigrants, only American Indians are indigenous here. The DACA immigrants came here at a very young age. Many of them don't no any other country. They would be 'lost' if sent back to Mexico. Some don't even speak Spanish that well. Imagine if your parents came to the U.S. with you when you were 3 years old and only spoke English to you and then you grew up here, got an education, good job and then are told to "go back" to India. It would be like a foreign land to you, even though you are ethnically Indian.

As noted in the article, they have TIN numbers which are like soc. sec. numbers where they pay taxes to the government, get driver's licenses, etc.

Other nations have a long history of one ethnic group dominating the country for several hundred or even thousands of years, as in the case of India. Not so with the U.S. which has always been a nation of immigrants and was already quite diverse around the year 1900.

dharmacorps
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Re: DACA Entrepreneurs

Post by dharmacorps » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:11 am

I own a business here. There may have been a few forms over the years I had to fill out which stated whether I am a citizen/resident alien or not, but really nothing insurmountable. Without immigrant entrepreneurs, the US wouldn't exist.

Disciple
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: DACA Entrepreneurs

Post by Disciple » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:16 am

Is it really that easy to obtain a TIN number and driver's license as an illegal alien in the states?

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 11918
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: DACA Entrepreneurs

Post by DNS » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:51 am

Disciple wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:16 am
Is it really that easy to obtain a TIN number and driver's license as an illegal alien in the states?
12 states and DC allow for undocumented immigrants to get driver's licenses.
https://immigration.procon.org/view.res ... eID=005535
http://www.ncsl.org/research/immigratio ... rants.aspx

TIN is federal, so allowed in all 50 states + DC.

User avatar
No_Mind
Posts: 1911
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:12 pm
Location: India

Re: DACA Entrepreneurs

Post by No_Mind » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:14 am

Disciple wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:16 am
Is it really that easy to obtain a TIN number and driver's license as an illegal alien in the states?
That is what I am wondering too.

I have seen on tv that undocumented immigrants in USA (even those who have been there from age of four) are afraid to avail of emergency room services because they do not have paper work .. but they can become entrepreneurs?

How do they attend school and college? This is really strange.

And this lack of background checks leads back to another hot topic -- gun control. If undocumented immigrants can start a business and flourish .. how difficult is it for anyone .. even a mentally ill person to own a gun?

But it is commendable that some of them have flourished in spite of the obstacles.

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

chownah
Posts: 7597
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: DACA Entrepreneurs

Post by chownah » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:34 am

No_Mind wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:05 pm
Can any American explain to me how this is possible .. how do undocumented immigrants become entrepreneurs in USA?
I believe that DACA people are not undocumented immigrants....they are documented as being DACA I believe.
chownah

chownah
Posts: 7597
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: DACA Entrepreneurs

Post by chownah » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:42 am

This link shows how daca get drivers licenses....and it also seems from this that daca can get social security cards and work permits.
https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j ... im-xK8-hm9
chownah

Disciple
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: DACA Entrepreneurs

Post by Disciple » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:01 pm

DNS wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:51 am
Disciple wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:16 am
Is it really that easy to obtain a TIN number and driver's license as an illegal alien in the states?
12 states and DC allow for undocumented immigrants to get driver's licenses.
https://immigration.procon.org/view.res ... eID=005535
http://www.ncsl.org/research/immigratio ... rants.aspx

TIN is federal, so allowed in all 50 states + DC.
All this time I've been freezing in these cold winters up here when I could of been living in California?? God damn it. :lol:

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests