Schools are teaching kids empathy and self-control.

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Lucas Oliveira

Schools are teaching kids empathy and self-control.

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:02 pm

Schools are teaching kids empathy and self-control. It helps at home, too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/par ... 9501006494

http://www.nwherald.com/2018/02/22/scho ... o/ayyp0ck/

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

manas

Re: Schools are teaching kids empathy and self-control.

Post by manas » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:13 pm

That schools feel they have to undertake this task, doesn't say much for the quality of a lot of parenting nowadays. Empathy doesn't need to be 'taught' as a subject in school, if it is lived and practically demonstrated by the parents from the day a child is born, through his/her childhood and adolescence. It sounds well-intentioned, but seems to be another example of the State taking over what is really a parental role.

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:49 pm

manas wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:13 pm
That schools feel they have to undertake this task, doesn't say much for the quality of a lot of parenting nowadays. Empathy doesn't need to be 'taught' as a subject in school, if it is lived and practically demonstrated by the parents from the day a child is born, through his/her childhood and adolescence. It sounds well-intentioned, but seems to be another example of the State taking over what is really a parental role.
I think that there are some parent nowadays who don't do a good job teaching empathy and self control. If schools do not include activities which can help to instill these then how will the children learn them?
chownah

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:05 pm

In an era when a PS4 acts as a nanny and instead of reading books kids play Half-Life .. what is to be expected?

I know one thing: that I know nothing

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:42 pm

one of the goals of these schools is for children to take this wisdom home.

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:13 am

chownah wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:49 pm
manas wrote:
I think that there are some parent nowadays who don't do a good job teaching empathy and self control. If schools do not include activities which can help to instill these then how will the children learn them?
chownah
I don't think the schools will have an easy time of it. Something like empathy is hard to teach in a bureaucracy.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:30 am

Pseudobabble wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:13 am
chownah wrote:
manas wrote:
chownah
I don't think the schools will have an easy time of it. Something like empathy is hard to teach in a bureaucracy.
Indeed. My children's school has a list a aspirational "values" which they publicise a lot, but I think that staff would do better to live and conduct themselves by such values rather than ostentatiously attempting to inculcate the children with them. I get the impression that such values and strategies are drawn up so as to make work for people who compile, operationalise, implement, publicise, and measure them.

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:35 am

Sam Vara wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:30 am
Pseudobabble wrote:
chownah wrote:

chownah
Indeed. My children's school has a list a aspirational "values" which they publicise a lot, but I think that staff would do better to live and conduct themselves by such values rather than ostentatiously attempting to inculcate the children with them. I get the impression that such values and strategies are drawn up so as to make work for people who compile, operationalise, implement, publicise, and measure them.
Yes. These types of things are purely for the emotional gratification of the committee which creates them. The company I worked for (and many others) has a list of 'Our Cultural Values', which are laughable, because everyone knows that everyone is there for the paycheck, and these values are just an exercise in mutual self congratulation for senior management. Its the same in any large organisation - as well as corporations, government departments, agencies, and quangos are rife with this garbage.

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

binocular

Post by binocular » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:00 am

Sam Vara wrote:
Pseudobabble wrote:
Absolutely. I wonder what the children actually learn in such educational settings. It seems to me that instead of empathy, they will learn psychological projection and virtue signalling.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:35 pm

chownah wrote:
manas wrote:
chownah
So far no one has answered my question.
chownah

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:39 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:35 am
Sam Vara wrote:
Pseudobabble wrote:

Yes. These types of things are purely for the emotional gratification of the committee which creates them. The company I worked for (and many others) has a list of 'Our Cultural Values', which are laughable, because everyone knows that everyone is there for the paycheck, and these values are just an exercise in mutual self congratulation for senior management. Its the same in any large organisation - as well as corporations, government departments, agencies, and quangos are rife with this garbage.
Boy are you wrong about alot of things here. I imagine that your experiences with different places which have cultural values is limited to less than 10 while there are thousands of enterprises that have them.....and yet you say that "Its the same in any large organisation"....that's a pretty broad brush that you are tarring with.
chownah

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:42 pm

chownah wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:39 pm
Pseudobabble wrote:
Sam Vara wrote:

Boy are you wrong about alot of things here. I imagine that your experiences with different places which have cultural values is limited to less than 10 while there are thousands of enterprises that have them.....and yet you say that "Its the same in any large organisation"....that's a pretty broad brush that you are tarring with.
chownah
Ok. So your assertion is that because I have not personally experienced every large organisation, I am not allowed to make generalisations on the topic based on my experience and observation. I disagree.

Why don't you tell us about all the large organisations you have experience of, whose 'cultural values' are authentically and genuinely believed in and upheld by the employees/members of those organisations?

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:42 pm
chownah wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:39 pm
Pseudobabble wrote:

chownah
Ok. So your assertion is that because I have not personally experienced every large organisation, I am not allowed to make generalisations on the topic based on my experience and observation. I disagree.

Why don't you tell us about all the large organisations you have experience of, whose 'cultural values' are authentically and genuinely believed in and upheld by the employees/members of those organisations?
Did I assert that because you have not personally experienced every large organisation blah blah balh?....no....what I said is that your experience is probably very limited.
Did I assert that you are not allowed to make generalisations?....no....what I said is that your generalisation is too sweeping.....and that it is based on too little experience.

I have had a career as a licensed professional where I agreed to conduct my employment by a known code of ethics. When you get a group of licensed professionals working together all abiding by a code of ethics it is not difficult to come up with a corporate cultural value statement....and the percentage of people who buy into that value statement will be large......there are always those who don't buy into it however....some people are just looking for jobs (they are just there for the paycheck) while some people are trying to do something of social value (these are the people who are interested in mission statements etc.).
chownah

denise

Post by denise » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:44 pm

hello all...have encountered people that are highly protective and become very grouchy if another person tries to address their child in these matters....nice to see things opening up....kids need all the help they can get...... :hug:

binocular

Post by binocular » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:38 pm

chownah wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:08 pm
Did I assert that because you have not personally experienced every large organisation blah blah balh?....no....what I said is that your experience is probably very limited.
Did I assert that you are not allowed to make generalisations?....no....what I said is that your generalisation is too sweeping.....and that it is based on too little experience.

I have had a career as a licensed professional where I agreed to conduct my employment by a known code of ethics. When you get a group of licensed professionals working together all abiding by a code of ethics it is not difficult to come up with a corporate cultural value statement....and the percentage of people who buy into that value statement will be large......there are always those who don't buy into it however....some people are just looking for jobs (they are just there for the paycheck) while some people are trying to do something of social value (these are the people who are interested in mission statements etc.).
Well, some of us have become cynical and jaded, living and working among people who make a point of saying one thing and doing another; in social environments where one is considered naive if one doesn't engage in the same kind of duplicity.

A person's trust that society is basically good and honest, and that the bad things are few and don't really matter in the grand scheme of things: that trust is like a glass ball. You can drop the glass ball a few times, and it won't break. But once it breaks, it can't be mended.

Looks like you got out of the system before your trust was broken.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z