Americans will never give up their guns.

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
manas

Re: Americans will never give up their guns.

Post by manas » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:20 am

Mr Man wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:24 am

Journalists? They are political activists and blocked by a conservative govt. And Assange? Why doesn't he leave the Embassy?
Indeed, the Embassy he currently resides in, is luxurious as compared with being locked up in a U.S. jail for years on end. No wonder he dare not venture out onto the street.
Knowing this body is like a clay jar,
securing this mind like a fort,
attack Mara with the spear of discernment,
then guard what's won without settling there,
without laying claim.

- Dhp 40

alan

Post by alan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:15 am

Oh, wait! Trump chickens out, and gives the NRA what they wanted. Who would see this coming?
Answer: Everyone who has been paying attention.
https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/ ... in-to-nra/

alan

Post by alan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:16 am

Bruce. Because he Rocks. This is one good thing about America--we have Bruce Springsteen.

alan

Post by alan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:34 am

Early Bruce. There is a darkness on the edge of town.

LotusTara3

Post by LotusTara3 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:38 am

Violence and the media play a huge part of ifluencing violence in unstable persons, but no one dares to fight entertainment moguls, and video game producers. Guns on TV and in movies make us desensitized to violence. Even new media promotes this by repeating horrific shootings repeatedly for ratings. Guns are the tools but media affects the mind.

thepea

Post by thepea » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:35 pm

Virgo wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:14 am

This is really funny. Thanks for sharing.
Yes, Jeffries is wicked funny. His points are dead on though I think he really nails the argument on guns.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:12 am

thepea wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:35 pm
Virgo wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:14 am
This is really funny. Thanks for sharing.
Yes, Jeffries is wicked funny. His points are dead on though I think he really nails the argument on guns.
The skits were funny, but a couple of big mistakes he made:

It's not true that gun owners need to say "wait a minute while I go to the safe to get my gun" when an intruder comes crashing through their front door. Many gun owners in the U.S. have concealed-carry permits, see:
https://crimeresearch.org/2017/07/new-s ... r-permits/
(over 16 million concealed-carry permits in the U.S.)
And then there are some gun safes which recognize your fingerprint and pop open when you touch the door. I know a guy who has one of those and he said he can get to his gun and have it in his hand ready to shoot in one second.

And then there are another number who go around with open-carry as I noted in one of my previous posts (with gun loaded and hammer pulled back).

And the other mistake he made was when he stated the only guns during the writing of the U.S. Constitution were muskets which had to be hand loaded and packed one at a time. There were some early repeaters at that time and then not too long after that the revolver in mass production by the early to mid 1800s. There were some early repeater guns produced as far back as the 16th century that could fire 3 to 8 rounds without reloading and recoil machine guns not long after that.

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Trevor Noah Goes Off on Tucker Carlson for Dismissing Teens Against Guns
How dismissive was tucker carlson?....he said, " “They’re not citizens, they’re children!”"
https://www.thedailybeast.com/trevor-no ... +Articles)
I would have brought just the video but I don't know how to do that.
chownah

thepea

Post by thepea » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:11 am

DNS wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:12 am

The skits were funny, but a couple of big mistakes he made:

It's not true that gun owners need to say "wait a minute while I go to the safe to get my gun" when an intruder comes crashing through their front door. Many gun owners in the U.S. have concealed-carry permits, see:
https://crimeresearch.org/2017/07/new-s ... r-permits/
(over 16 million concealed-carry permits in the U.S.)
And then there are some gun safes which recognize your fingerprint and pop open when you touch the door. I know a guy who has one of those and he said he can get to his gun and have it in his hand ready to shoot in one second.

And then there are another number who go around with open-carry as I noted in one of my previous posts (with gun loaded and hammer pulled back).

And the other mistake he made was when he stated the only guns during the writing of the U.S. Constitution were muskets which had to be hand loaded and packed one at a time. There were some early repeaters at that time and then not too long after that the revolver in mass production by the early to mid 1800s. There were some early repeater guns produced as far back as the 16th century that could fire 3 to 8 rounds without reloading and recoil machine guns not long after that.
I don’t think carry and conceal permit owners sleep with their cocked loaded guns under their pillow. And if you do and have children in the house your just nuts.
If you keep your gun in a finger printed safe you can probably afford a proper deadbolt.

I think the musket joke has to be taken as having a chance to cool off and allow anger to subside opposed to having loaded gun for immediate response.

The gun culture in the us has gotten so ridiculous I don’t think the majority of us citizens can envision life without guns. We receive a lot of Facebook posts from my relatives in Texas, I used to think they were joking about their fanatical gun talk and political views but soon realized they were 100% serious.
They came to my brothers wedding last year and the entire family had to be very careful what we discussed around them any mention of Obama vs trump would invoke a crazed response. Billy bob brought all the men automatic navy seal switchblades as wedding presents he smuggled them across the border in pieces and reassembled them here.
They don’t just want to be armed but want everyone armed.
I think the atmosphere in Australia and Canada is very similar, if the government says you don’t need a gun, just go about your business we’re like “ok no problem if that’s how it’s going to be”. Canadians are the worst at standing up to the government, we all just moan, kick our shoes to the ground and eventually accept. Unless it has to do with hockey then you might see some kind of revolt.

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:10 am

thepea wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:11 am
I don’t think carry and conceal permit owners sleep with their cocked loaded guns under their pillow.
Often they keep their gun in an unlocked drawer of their night stand....loaded but usually not cocked and usually with the safety on. An experienced gun owner can release safety and cock a gun in an instant as an almost automatic reflex.
chownah

thepea

Post by thepea » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:18 am

chownah wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:10 am
thepea wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:11 am
I don’t think carry and conceal permit owners sleep with their cocked loaded guns under their pillow.
Often they keep their gun in an unlocked drawer of their night stand....loaded but usually not cocked and usually with the safety on. An experienced gun owner can release safety and cock a gun in an instant as an almost automatic reflex.
chownah
My point was that if your sleeping at night and someone climbs in through your window and you need to open your safe you just won’t have time as in the video.
And if you can afford thumb print activated safes you can afford better locks on your windows and doors. And if you sleep with a loaded gun under your pillow with children in the house you are an idiot and should not have a gun.

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:58 pm

DNS wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:12 am
LOL. This looks to me like a strongly "second amendment guy" simply wanting to prove the critics wrong :))))
And if you can afford thumb print activated safes you can afford better locks on your windows and doors. And if you sleep with a loaded gun under your pillow with children in the house you are an idiot and should not have a gun.
This brings us to another problem of suburbia: lack of safety. For more problems, check: viewtopic.php?p=462233

As a matter of fact, lack of safety and lack of privacy are probably main reasons why most people in my country, including me, would never move to a house. I know this is mainly a perception problem and statistics prove otherwise but in some rare cases this might matter. In an apartment building it is impossible for someone to break into your house. Most apartments have metalic dors and it takes a while for a swat team to break them. There are also a billion witneses that will wake up the moment someone makes some noise. This makes the problem of someone breaking into your house non-existent for apartment buildings.

alan

Post by alan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:58 am

Shi*tead Losers--nothing you can can do about them. But a decent society makes sure guns are not available to them.
Right?
Oh, Don''t give me the Second Amendment Bullshit.
Decent Societies do not allow weapons to proliferate.
Bet you no one can prove otherwise.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:26 am

Greetings Alan,
alan wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:58 am
Shi*tead Losers--nothing you can can do about them. But a decent society makes sure guns are not available to them.
Right?
Oh, Don''t give me the Second Amendment Bullshit.
Decent Societies do not allow weapons to proliferate.
Bet you no one can prove otherwise.
I heard someone semi-seriously suggest a citizen exchange between the United States and United Kingdom... so those who want to live in a society with a strong 1st & 2nd amendment can live in the United States, and those who don't, can reside in the United Kingdom.

Would you be hypothetically interested swapping places with someone given that "Americans will never give up their guns"?

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:29 am

Yeah!.....love it or leave it!

My country tis of thee sweet land of liberty....of thee I sing....blahblablah....
chownah

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:35 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:26 am
I heard someone semi-seriously suggest a citizen exchange between the United States and United Kingdom... so those who want to live in a society with a strong 1st & 2nd amendment can live in the United States, and those who don't, can reside in the United Kingdom.
:jawdrop:

Republicans need not apply. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:47 am

I remembered this :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:46 pm

Some more encouraging news:
Citigroup Becomes First Major Bank to Restrict Some Gun Sales
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -customers

Supporters of gun control will participate in the "March For Our Lives" taking place in Washington, DC and in major US cities this weekend. It will be interesting to see the official response.