Americans will never give up their guns.

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
thepea

Re: Americans will never give up their guns.

Post by thepea » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:18 am

chownah wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:10 am
thepea wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:11 am
I don’t think carry and conceal permit owners sleep with their cocked loaded guns under their pillow.
Often they keep their gun in an unlocked drawer of their night stand....loaded but usually not cocked and usually with the safety on. An experienced gun owner can release safety and cock a gun in an instant as an almost automatic reflex.
chownah
My point was that if your sleeping at night and someone climbs in through your window and you need to open your safe you just won’t have time as in the video.
And if you can afford thumb print activated safes you can afford better locks on your windows and doors. And if you sleep with a loaded gun under your pillow with children in the house you are an idiot and should not have a gun.

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:58 pm

DNS wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:12 am
And then there are some gun safes which recognize your fingerprint and pop open when you touch the door. I know a guy who has one of those and he said he can get to his gun and have it in his hand ready to shoot in one second.
LOL. This looks to me like a strongly "second amendment guy" simply wanting to prove the critics wrong :))))
And if you can afford thumb print activated safes you can afford better locks on your windows and doors. And if you sleep with a loaded gun under your pillow with children in the house you are an idiot and should not have a gun.
This brings us to another problem of suburbia: lack of safety. For more problems, check: viewtopic.php?p=462233

As a matter of fact, lack of safety and lack of privacy are probably main reasons why most people in my country, including me, would never move to a house. I know this is mainly a perception problem and statistics prove otherwise but in some rare cases this might matter. In an apartment building it is impossible for someone to break into your house. Most apartments have metalic dors and it takes a while for a swat team to break them. There are also a billion witneses that will wake up the moment someone makes some noise. This makes the problem of someone breaking into your house non-existent for apartment buildings.

alan

Post by alan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:58 am

Shi*tead Losers--nothing you can can do about them. But a decent society makes sure guns are not available to them.
Right?
Oh, Don''t give me the Second Amendment Bullshit.
Decent Societies do not allow weapons to proliferate.
Bet you no one can prove otherwise.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:26 am

Greetings Alan,
alan wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:58 am
Shi*tead Losers--nothing you can can do about them. But a decent society makes sure guns are not available to them.
Right?
Oh, Don''t give me the Second Amendment Bullshit.
Decent Societies do not allow weapons to proliferate.
Bet you no one can prove otherwise.
I heard someone semi-seriously suggest a citizen exchange between the United States and United Kingdom... so those who want to live in a society with a strong 1st & 2nd amendment can live in the United States, and those who don't, can reside in the United Kingdom.

Would you be hypothetically interested swapping places with someone given that "Americans will never give up their guns"?

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:29 am

Yeah!.....love it or leave it!

My country tis of thee sweet land of liberty....of thee I sing....blahblablah....
chownah

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:35 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:26 am
I heard someone semi-seriously suggest a citizen exchange between the United States and United Kingdom... so those who want to live in a society with a strong 1st & 2nd amendment can live in the United States, and those who don't, can reside in the United Kingdom.
:jawdrop:

Republicans need not apply. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:47 am

I remembered this :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:46 pm

Some more encouraging news:
Citigroup Becomes First Major Bank to Restrict Some Gun Sales
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -customers

Supporters of gun control will participate in the "March For Our Lives" taking place in Washington, DC and in major US cities this weekend. It will be interesting to see the official response.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:52 pm

Greetings,
Dinsdale wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:35 am
retrofuturist wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:26 am
:jawdrop:

Republicans need not apply. :tongue:
Haha... don't worry, I doubt there'd be many of those.

You could export all those pesky free speech advocates, and get a screeching army of third-wave feminists in return.

:lol:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:48 am

Did you notice how these Americans are always so overweight ?

They prepare for the unlikely terrorist or intruder while the real threat to their life is an eminent heart attack.
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:55 pm

Kamran wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:48 am
Did you notice how these Americans are always so overweight ?
They have also successfully exported fast food and obesity to other countries. :tongue:

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:58 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:52 pm
You could export all those pesky free speech advocates, and get a screeching army of third-wave feminists in return.
I would like to export Boris Johnson to the US, he is a sort of Trump mini-me. :tongue:

Most of our other Tories would be too left-wing for US politics though. :jumping:

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:40 am

Interesting article in Scientific American magazine offering some insight into "Why are [US} White Men Stockpiling Guns?"

"Research suggests it's largely because they're anxious about their ability to protect their families, insecure about their place in the job market and beset by racial fears."

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ob ... ling-guns/