Americans will never give up their guns.

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
alan

Americans will never give up their guns.

Post by alan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:48 am

Because, they are Stupid as Hell. And they are scared. People who are scared cling to their guns and religion.
There is a gun culture in America, Nothing can stop it. You cannot speak reason to these people.
Those who love guns have psychological problems. There is no way to solve it. That is my conclusion.
Thoughts?

Saengnapha

Re: Americans will never give up their guns.

Post by Saengnapha » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:50 am

alan wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:48 am
Because, they are Stupid as Hell. And they are scared. People who are scared cling to their guns and religion.
There is a gun culture in America, Nothing can stop it. You cannot speak reason to these people.
Those who love guns have psychological problems. There is no way to solve it. That is my conclusion.
Thoughts?
They also cling to religion and guns here in Thailand.

alan

Post by alan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:54 am

Happens everywhere. Small people need Big Guns.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:44 am

Isn't the purpose of guns in the US Constitution to protect the Republic from Totalitarianism? Instead of giving up guns, the Yanks probably should give up Hollywood & all of the other ego-exhibitionism-attention-seeking propaganda.

Image Image Image Image
Last edited by DooDoot on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

alan

Post by alan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:50 am

Not sure what that means.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:55 am

My mate's opinion:

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:14 am

Nothing is wrong with owning a gun if one passes proper background checks.

Vast stretches of America are deserted .. how is one going to stay at the house below (6:28) without a gun?

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:33 am

Background checking says something about the past, but nothing about the future. And it is people with guns who says: i only keep guns for protection against the wild world. Peaceful people has better "guns".
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:39 am

Crazy cloud wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:33 am
Background checking says something about the past, but nothing about the future. And it is people with guns who says: i only keep guns for protection against the wild world. Peaceful people has better "guns".
Not my country .. not my problem .. but how is the man in that house going to defend himself from a nutcase meth addict who breaks in .. by throwing the Dhammapada he was reading?

The mass shootings are not because of guns but humans ..

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:47 am

how is one going to stay at the house below (6:28) without a gun?
This is not an excuse. People must be able to live safe where ever it is.
The purpose of a gun is to kill someone. (human or animal)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:51 am

No_Mind wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:39 am
Crazy cloud wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:33 am
Not my country .. not my problem .. but how is the man in that house going to defend himself from a nutcase meth addict who breaks in .. by throwing the Dhammapada he was reading?

The mass shootings are not because of guns but humans ..

I don't know how anything can be solved in the future, but i know from my own experience working and caring for "meth addficts", that the biggest obstacle is to get rid of my own fear, because if not, that state of mind and body can trigger something in a sick and desperate mind - and who is the most risky person then?
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters

dhamma follower

Post by dhamma follower » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:16 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:14 am

Vast stretches of America are deserted .. how is one going to stay at the house below (6:28) without a gun?

Reflect on kamma and its result, may be?

The premise of harming for self-defense is not a Buddhist one because it is inconsistent with the belief in kamma and its results, of what is really wholesome and profitable and what is not.

Although it happens that Buddhists (including you and me) might react with violence, that doesn't make violence a Buddhist answer.

Best regards,

D.F

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:19 pm

dhamma follower wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:16 pm
No_Mind wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:14 am

Reflect on kamma and its result, may be?

The premise of harming for self-defense is not a Buddhist one because it is inconsistent with the belief in kamma and its results, of what is really wholesome and profitable and what is not.

Although it happens that Buddhists (including you and me) might react with violence, that doesn't make violence a Buddhist answer.

Best regards,

D.F
I think you skipped over the bit where it said Current Events and Politics sub forum :smile: .. it is the only sort of non-Buddhist part of this forum (and the only one you can opt out of). I fully support killing in self defense and would do so without any hesitation if I or any one else was in danger.

Killing nutcases and malevolent people who threaten others is "wholesome and profitable" (to use your words).

dhamma follower

Post by dhamma follower » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Hi No-mind,
I think you skipped over the bit where it said Current Events and Politics sub forum :smile: .. it is the only sort of non-Buddhist part of this forum (and the only one you can opt out of).

Could you please show me where it is this part in the introduction of this sub forum? I don't see it. On the contrary, its description goes like this:
A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.

As for:
I fully support killing in self defense and would do so without any hesitation if I or any one else was in danger.

Killing nutcases and malevolent people who threaten others is "wholesome and profitable"

Thanks for clarifying that this is your premise. May I ask, do you consider your-self a Buddhist? And if yes, what are the Buddhist stances that you agree with?

Brgds,

D.F

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:49 pm

dhamma follower wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:44 pm
Hi No-mind,
I think you skipped over the bit where it said Current Events and Politics sub forum :smile: .. it is the only sort of non-Buddhist part of this forum (and the only one you can opt out of).

Could you please show me where it is this part in the introduction of this sub forum? I don't see it. On the contrary, its description goes like this:
What did you expect the description to be .. "This is the only part of the forum where you can discuss about Trump's golden shower and related stories" :? This is the only part of the forum where you can discuss about Trump's golden shower and related stories.
dhamma follower wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:44 pm
I fully support killing in self defense and would do so without any hesitation if I or any one else was in danger.

Killing nutcases and malevolent people who threaten others is "wholesome and profitable"

Thanks for clarifying that this is your premise. May I ask, do you consider your-self a Buddhist? And if yes, what are the Buddhist stances that you agree with?
Yes of course I am a Buddhist .. I would spare no enemy who threatened the Dhamma .. that kind of Buddhist :smile: