How will you conceive the world in thirty years?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: How will you conceive the world in thirty years?

Post by DNS » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:31 pm

Here are some of my predictions:

World population: about 12 billion

Religious breakdown:

Non-religious/secular/agnostic/atheist: 30% (huge increase)
Islam: 30% (increase due to birth rates, conversion, apostasy not allowed or even illegal)
Christianity: 20% (decrease due to many current Christians living in developed nations; parents not forcing religion on their children)
Hinduism: 14% (about the same due to birth rates)
Buddhism: 4% (decrease due to lack of birth rates, lack of rules against apostasy)

Technology:

Self-driving cars and trucks the norm. When you need to go some where you send for a car on your phone, an un-manned car arrives; you state where you want to go, the charge is set and you swipe your card and you're off. In the meantime you can text, call, surf the net while the car drives itself. Driver's licenses will get phased out. Wealthier people will use flying cars in the same way, which cost more but get to their destination faster. They won't crash into each other because they are all coordinated by computers for ground and air traffic.

The beginnings of cyborgs, with advancements in mechanical limbs and replacement organs, which perform better than the original organic parts.

Kamran

Re: How you conceived the world in thirty years?

Post by Kamran » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:31 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:28 am

I never said I did. Democracy is pitiable counting of noses. As Churchill put it pithily "The best argument against Democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”

I am for benevolent dictatorship .. Plato's philosopher king or rule by a council of the wise

Best real life example is Lee Kuan Yew who transformed Singapore from a mosquito ridden marsh to one of the world's most advanced nations in twenty years 1960 - 80

:namaste:
Iran's system of government is also based on Plato's Philosopher king model.

It combines a democratic Legislative branch with a semi-democratic Executive branch.

They call it "Government of the Jurist" and a Guardian Council of highest Islamic Clerics picks a picks a Supreme Jurist to be the executive leader of the country.

The congress, and President is democratically elected but don't have as much power as the "Supreme Jurist".

They are supposed to pick the Supreme Jurist based on the candidate's scholarship, recognition of wisdom, and having lived a saintly life.

In practice, it has fallen to power games and political manipulation so that the "Supreme Jurist" that was elected by the Guardian Council was not even a real Ayatollah, or had the sufficient academic credentials for the position.

The lack of checks and balances makes Plato's Philosopher King model highly susceptible to failure.
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:57 am

Kamran wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:31 pm
The lack of checks and balances makes Plato's Philosopher King model highly susceptible to failure.
:goodpost:
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:00 pm

IN 30 years the soil in my organic farm and my farming knowledge will be so great that to plant all I will have to do is throw the seeds out and they will already be sprouting before they hit the ground.
chownah

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:20 pm

The basis of imputation known as "justsit" will be long gone. If "I" happen to obtain a precious human birth, I have no idea what the world will be like, but in any case I hope I don't make the same mistakes yet again. If not, please all of you be kind to insects, I may be one of them!

Human nature doesn't change, the three poisons will persist in causing suffering. The exponential growth rates for population, technology, etc. are not sustainable indefinitely; at some point inevitably, I think, there will be some type of disaster, whether natural like pandemic or man-made, such as nuclear. Whether this will happen within the next 30 years is anybody's guess, but hopefully it will lead to some type of positive change.

paul

Post by paul » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:19 pm

SarathW wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:23 am
Do you think six billion people are going to be Buddhist in thirty years?
I'm referring to secular mindfulness:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ness-event

"“Mindful meditation allows me to take a timeout, step back and see issues as interconnected. That kind of big-picture problem-solving is desperately lacking in both US political parties today, and has in many cases been replaced with an almost hyper-partisan kind of hate.

“I try not to be a part of that. If you hate, you’re just adding hate. Whether you’re hating from the left or from the right, it’s still hate, and it is undermining our ability to come together as a nation to solve big problems.”---US politician