Has the feminist movement gone too far or lost the sight of reality?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:50 pm

Interesting video.
Love to know your thoughts on this.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Sam Vara

Re: Has the feminist movement gone too far or lost the sight of reality?

Post by Sam Vara » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:57 pm

Outside of specific contexts, I don't think there is such a thing as a "feminist movement": there are so many different and often competing ideologies and versions. But I certainly think that many bad, mad, and sad things are said and done with a feminist motivation.

I like the idea of economics being at the root of perceived inequalities in gender. I'll watch the rest and get back to you.

[Edit] Ah, the section on feminism and gender seems to be relatively short. My main thought is that such an approach would be seen by Western feminists as being "essentialist", as if there were fixed qualities which women possess. This thought does not tie in with the modern enthusiasm for relativism in the West, and so would be viewed as heretical and reactionary.

Overall, I have to say that I like this guy. Very wise and dignified.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:50 pm

But I certainly think that many bad, mad, and sad things are said and done with a feminist motivation
Can you elaborate this?
Where this idea come from?

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:20 pm

Ah, the section on feminism and gender seems to be relatively short.
Perhaps this contains more:

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:34 pm

SarathW wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:50 pm
But I certainly think that many bad, mad, and sad things are said and done with a feminist motivation
Can you elaborate this?
Where this idea come from?
Giving any account that does the topic justice would take more time and energy than I have. But the basic problem is that some forms of feminism can give rise to identity politics, where people are judged by their membership of particular groups (see "Oppression Olympics - http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/oppression-olympics) rather than their actions. In particular, like any ideological position, it leads to its adherents misrepresenting truth, denigrating people, and distorting reality. In extreme forms, men are viewed with suspicion as potential rapists, masculinity is devalued or described as toxic, and "women's issues" are pushed to the top of the agenda, regardless of the interests of other groups.

One relatively small, but symptomatic example was the twitter-mob and media hounding of an eminent scientist for remarks which I believe were meant to be light-hearted and self-deprecating, but which were seized upon and used in order to make feminist points:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hunt

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... cial-media

Another area where issues raised by feminism has led to an apparent mass-mobilisation of people's defilements is the case of the "sexist shirt":

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 62118.html

[Edit] Oh, yes, and how did I forget? The now globally famous interview of Jordan Peterson by Cathy Newman on Channel 4 News:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54

Living proof that an intelligent successful woman (Newman has a First from Oxford, I believe) can use feminist ideology with which to comprehensively enstupidate herself.

LG2V

Post by LG2V » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Sadhguru is one of the wisest men I have met. He is brilliant, thoughtful, calming and intelligent. When I see him, it strikes me at how sober he is, as if he sees the truth that we don't. Even in this video, you can see the compassion on his face. I really respect him highly.
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:08 am

Sadhguru is one of the wisest men I have met.
I am not sure whether he is the wisest.
He understands the problem but appears he does not have a solution.
Buddha gave the full description of the problem, the reason, solution, and the path.

Leeuwenhoek2

Post by Leeuwenhoek2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:53 am

About feminism in context of a range of cultural changes that might be said to have "gone too far" I'd recommend
Modern Times: Camille Paglia & Jordan B Peterson

Dr. Camille Paglia is a well-known American intellectual and social critic. She has been a professor at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (where this discussion took place) since 1984. She is the author of seven books focusing on literature, visual art, music, and film history, among other topics. The most well-known of these is Sexual Personae , an expansion of her highly original doctoral thesis at Yale. The newest, Free Women, Free Men: Sex, Gender, Feminism, was published by Pantheon Books in March 2017.

Dr. Paglia has been warning about the decline and corruption of the modern humanities for decades, and she is a serious critic of the postmodern ethos that currently dominates much of academia. Although she is a committed equity feminist, she firmly opposes the victim/oppressor narrative that dominates much of modern American and British feminism.

In this wide-ranging discussion, we cover (among other topics) the pernicious influence of the French intellectuals of the 1970's on the American academy, the symbolic utility of religious tradition, the tendency toward intellectual conformity and linguistic camouflage among university careerists, the under-utilization of Carl Jung and his student, Erich Neumann, in literary criticism and the study of the humanities, and the demolition of the traditional roles and identity of men and women in the West.

------
[EDIT}
A number of spirited interviews and talks by Dr. Paglia are on youtube.

If those women represent feminism then count me a feminist too.