What is your contribution to make this world a better place?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:12 am

The above question is based on the following statement by Margaret Thatcher.

“They are casting their problems at society. And, you know, there’s no such thing as society. There are individual men and women”
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

chownah

Re: What is your contribution to make this world a better place?

Post by chownah » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:05 am

SarathW wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:12 am

“They are casting their problems at society. And, you know, there’s no such thing as society. There are individual men and women”
Easy for someone at the top to deflect responsibility away from what society has wrought and to try to put the blame on the (mostly) unenpowered individual.
chownah

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:37 am

put the blame on the (mostly) unenpowered individual.
Aren't we give them the power?

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:03 am

Over the years I've come to realize that there are things I can control and things I cannot control. And even with the things I cannot control, I may have the ability to choose my response to them.

At one point I made the decision to be a happy person. That doesn't mean I always feel happy, but when I don't, I try not to dump my attitude on others and add to the negative energy in the world.

I floundered around after university, wasted about 10 years, then decided to try to do something positive to help others. So I became a nurse, and have been in that profession for 30 years this May. I don't know if it has made much difference, but my intention was to help reduce suffering. In the end, I think that's all any of us can do - try.

Oh, and try to be kind to all sentient beings.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:08 am

SarathW wrote:

I don't know the full context of how she said that, but perhaps what she meant is that there is no intrinsic society or nation in and of itself; it is just a label, a story, similar to what historian Yuval Harari stated in his Sapiens book:
Sapiens rule the world, because we are the only animal that can cooperate flexibly in large numbers. We can create mass cooperation networks, in which thousands and millions of complete strangers work together towards common goals. One-on-one, even ten-on-ten, we humans are embarrassingly similar to chimpanzees. Any attempt to understand our unique role in the world by studying our brains, our bodies, or our family relations, is doomed to failure. The real difference between us and chimpanzees is the mysterious glue that enables millions of humans to cooperate effectively.

This mysterious glue is made of stories, not genes. We cooperate effectively with strangers because we believe in things like gods, nations, money and human rights. Yet none of these things exists outside the stories that people invent and tell one another. There are no gods in the universe, no nations, no money and no human rights—except in the common imagination of human beings.
In a similar vein Harari talks about a company and how employees come and go, even the executives can change. At one point there will be no one left from the original company still working there. But the "company" still exists, but only as a label, a story, in the minds of humans.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:10 am

then decided to try to do something positive to help others. So I became a nurse
As far as I am concern you are doing what you can do to make this world a better place.

chownah

Post by chownah » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:25 am

SarathW wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:37 am
put the blame on the (mostly) unenpowered individual.
Aren't we give them the power?
If I give you a gun because you say you need to defend yourself and you go rob someone with it am I to be blamed for what you do with the gun?
If we are lied to, tricked and deceived are we responsible for whatever deeds those people do? If individuals are to be held responsible for what the gov't does then it should be the individuals who are actually running the gov't.
chownah

chownah

Post by chownah » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:27 am

I contribute to make this world a better place by washing my clothes in cold water in a bucket by hand without soap or detergent.
chownah

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:15 am

chownah wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:27 am
I contribute to make this world a better place by washing my clothes in cold water in a bucket by hand without soap or detergent.
chownah
It is wonderful.
Now I feel guilty about my washing habits.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:03 am

My contribution to make this world a better place is ignoring the beliefs of Margaret Thatcher.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:41 am

David S said.
But the "company" still exists, but only as a label, a story, in the minds of humans.
Take this forum for example.
Is this an individual effort or a team effort?

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:22 am

I think the best way to make this world a better place is by practicing the teachings of the Buddha
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

Leeuwenhoek2

Post by Leeuwenhoek2 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:28 am

SarathW wrote:

The world is made a better place by asking questions such as:
3) SarathW - What is the connection between your question and the statement by Thatcher?

1) SarathW - in what way will answering your question contribute to making the world a better place?

I hope others see the possible wisdom in asking such questions before thinking about any further response.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:04 am

Bundokji wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:22 am
I think the best way to make this world a better place is by practicing the teachings of the Buddha
That is what I think too.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:05 am

Greetings,
SarathW wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:04 am
Bundokji wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:22 am
That is what I think too.
:thumbsup:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)