What is the alternative to the capitalism?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Circle5

Re: What is the alternative to the capitalism?

Post by Circle5 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:05 am

SDC wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:15 pm
Circle5 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:03 pm
SDC wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:14 pm
Can you both continue this somewhere else. :focus:
Where ? Down the alley ?
Yes :D
I went there today as promised. I even had a couple of guys around the courner, waiting in the car. We stood there for 2-3 hours, the guy didn't show up. Thuff guy only on the internet.

Leeuwenhoek2

Re: What is the alternative to the capitalism?

Post by Leeuwenhoek2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:06 am

There are some things that everybody-just-knows-is-true. For instance:
Environmental problems and a host of social ills are the inevitable outcomes of values and principles of the institutions that are of at the heart of our current economic system. Everyone knows that Right?
The problems are caused by market values, profit-maximization, global corporations, consumerism, and a growth imperative—all which are inherent in capitalist or market economic systems. Clearly, then, in order to stop the suffering, a dismantling of the old system is prescribed.

This need a new economy based on values, principles, and institutions that are radically different from—in fact, diametrically opposed to—those that characterize the old system. This new economy
... should be based on values of compassion and cooperation, the principle of mindful interdependence, the principle of sufficiency, and on institutions that will be, for the most part small, local, democratic, and non-profit. Nothing less than a wholesale change of people’s hearts and the structure of the economy, politics, and society, it is claimed, will do.

I would like to offer a different perspective. I’m afraid that, from my viewpoint as an economist and as a student of Zen, I find this proposal to be neither good economics nor good Buddhism. Concerning economics, rather than being truly radical, it actually buys into some very old stories about “the nature of” our current economic system. Concerning Buddhism, it is at odds with what I’ve come to feel are some very basic and very important insights of Buddhism about ourselves and the world.
-- Beyond “Small is Beautiful”: Buddhism and the Economics of Climate Change
https://julieanelson.com/2016/07/03/bey ... te-change/
From the blog of Dr Julie A. Nelson -- Thoughts on economics, ethics, gender, climate, language, Zen, and a few other things…
Great piece. Should be required reading for every socially engaged Buddhist.

Here is a quick taste:
In Zen practice, we are encouraged over and over to be intimate with what is actually in front of us, and develop a healthy suspicion about the stories we endlessly create on top of what we see. This whole story about the inherent nature of our current system lies squarely in the ream of story.

Let’s just look at one example: The common belief that corporations maximize profits.

The common belief that profit-maximization is mandated by law is simply factually erroneous. Corporate charters state the purpose of business as running a business, and you won’t find a word about profits or returns to shareholders in them. Really. ...

... Economists invented the notion of profit-maximization. Why?

Economics have always wanted to be more like high-status [scientists like] physicists, than like lower-status sociologists. The dogma of “profit maximization” allows us to analyze “the firm” as though it were an autonomous entity that finds the highest point on its mathematical profit function. This is much easier than dealing with corporations as complex social organizations involving many different people working together. It avoids noticing that their leaders and workers may have a multiplicity of goals. It avoids having to recognize that businesses have unique cultures and histories.