Trump - One Year

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
lyndon taylor

Re: Trump - One Year

Post by lyndon taylor » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:57 pm

Seems a lot of you have no idea about Trumps draconian laws that are adversely effecting me and those around me, this has been a terrible year for democracy.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:33 am

Sam Vara wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:54 pm
robertk wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:48 pm
:rofl: That's excellent!
That is funny.......but......does it give a fair depiction of how the media has handled the question of trumps sanity?......or does it unfairly depict the media and add fuel to trumps ploy to trust no one but him? I haven't seen any media news on trumps sanity which sounded hysterical. What I have seen is just a pretty bland discussion of the issue. Is this cartoon just more "fake news" being spread around by propogandists wanting to make people ignore all news except for trump news?....and speaking of trump news, how much of that is fake and how much is out and out lies?...how much of it is propaganda where the truth is irrelevant and accruing power is the one and only purpose?
chownah

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:51 am

chownah wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:33 am
Sam Vara wrote:
robertk wrote:
That is funny.......but......does it give a fair depiction of how the media has handled the question of trumps sanity?......or does it unfairly depict the media and add fuel to trumps ploy to trust no one but him? I haven't seen any media news on trumps sanity which sounded hysterical. What I have seen is just a pretty bland discussion of the issue. Is this cartoon just more "fake news" being spread around by propogandists wanting to make people ignore all news except for trump news?....and speaking of trump news, how much of that is fake and how much is out and out lies?...how much of it is propaganda where the truth is irrelevant and accruing power is the one and only purpose?
chownah
No, it doesn't give a fair depiction, and I would guess that it's not supposed to. It's just making a wry comment about media preoccupations. It depends of course on what is meant by key terms such as "sanity", hysterical", and "news", etc., but I thought that the discussion of Trumps mental health evidenced here
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ychiatrist

was about as ridiculous as anything Trump himself has ever tweeted or been reported as saying. There are difficulties in the general news-print and internet-reading public finding out what the truth is, which is why I think that Trump is reacting to an emerging culture of mass communication in an interesting and often intelligent manner. When whatever he does is labelled as the ravings of a racist madman, then he may as well go ahead and give the media something to tweet about while he gets on with the job.

chownah

Post by chownah » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:10 am

Sam Vara wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:51 am
chownah wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:33 am
Sam Vara wrote:

chownah
No, it doesn't give a fair depiction, and I would guess that it's not supposed to. It's just making a wry comment about media preoccupations. It depends of course on what is meant by key terms such as "sanity", hysterical", and "news", etc., but I thought that the discussion of Trumps mental health evidenced here
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ychiatrist

was about as ridiculous as anything Trump himself has ever tweeted or been reported as saying. There are difficulties in the general news-print and internet-reading public finding out what the truth is, which is why I think that Trump is reacting to an emerging culture of mass communication in an interesting and often intelligent manner. When whatever he does is labelled as the ravings of a racist madman, then he may as well go ahead and give the media something to tweet about while he gets on with the job.
I agree that this image was not meant to give a fair depiction. I think it was meant to bolster the idea that the media can not be trusted and additionally I think it was meant to convince people that to think that trump's sanity should be considered is a crazy thing that crazy people do.

Do you think that considering trump's sanity is a crazy thing to do?
chownah

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:27 am

chownah wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:10 am
I agree that this image was not meant to give a fair depiction. I think it was meant to bolster the idea that the media can not be trusted and additionally I think it was meant to convince people that to think that trump's sanity should be considered is a crazy thing that crazy people do.
OK. I think the image was more about the "echo chamber" nature of a lot of media. Given that people writing about Trump have very limited access to what Trump thinks or even does, it's no wonder that messages are more about preoccupations and fantasies than reality.
Do you think that considering trump's sanity is a crazy thing to do?
There is no problem "considering" anything, in the sense that to entertain any proposition is rational, if only for a short while in order to reject it. I'll "consider" that the moon is made of green cheese. In the case of Trump's sanity, I think it is an unproductive thing to do. But there are a lot of journalists out there who have little access to original material, and a lot of people who dislike Trump who need a stick to beat him with.

Here's an interesting article about the folly of pathologising political differences:
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/alan ... le/2645853

chownah

Post by chownah » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:37 am

robertk wrote:
Because he is such an enigma, I find that people's reactions to him are more predictable and more interesting than what he actually does.
image.jpeg
Where did you get this image?
chownah

robertk

Post by robertk » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:19 pm

3 minute news brief from CNN on what some voters in Ohio think of Trump after his first year. Seem to like him.

chownah

Post by chownah » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:41 am

chownah wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:37 am
robertk wrote:
Because he is such an enigma, I find that people's reactions to him are more predictable and more interesting than what he actually does.
image.jpeg
chownah
Is it a secret?
chownah

robertk

Post by robertk » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:31 am

chownah wrote:
robertk wrote:
image.jpeg
chownah
I found it on the internet somewhere putting in a search like "Trump and Media".

Maybe initiated by Putin's operatives who paid Mosad to use one of there subversive Twitter feeds - and cleared by the whitehouse.

chownah

Post by chownah » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:06 am

robertk wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:31 am
chownah wrote:
robertk wrote:

image.jpeg
chownah
I found it on the internet somewhere putting in a search like "Trump and Media".

Maybe initiated by Putin's operatives who paid Mosad to use one of there subversive Twitter feeds - and cleared by the whitehouse.
The artist is glenn mccoy.....a staunch conservative.
chownah

chownah

Post by chownah » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:14 am

robertk wrote:
image.jpeg
Thought I'd show the other side:
chownah

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:15 am

Greetings,

The left can't meme.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:05 pm

A collection of some of Mr. Trump's actions/statements over the past year. Many of these may not have made international news. Some are a bit petty; many are simply appalling and, frankly, embarrassing.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... uette.html

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:44 pm

Not entirely related to Trump one year but relevant .. what Democrats are doing right now is downright wrong .. holding spending bill hostage to DACA negotiations.

If it was Republicans who did this (2013 was very different .. Republicans stalled spending bill accusing Democrats of spending too much .. an issue related to spending bill unlike DACA) the liberal media would have been up in arms.

Media has different standards for different parties .. sad day for USA.

:namaste:
Last edited by No_Mind on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know one thing: that I know nothing

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:58 pm

A strongly partisan but well-argued account of Trump's achievements:

http://www.libertylawsite.org/liberty-f ... hologizer/