Why does Dalai Lama do the things he does?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
No_Mind

Re: Why does Dalai Lama do the things he does?

Post by No_Mind » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:32 am

binocular wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:53 am
No_Mind wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:24 am
Surely a matured mind can find a place between ill will and unreserved praise to speak from.
Oh, especially you as an Indian should know that praise can be much much greater than what the DL said to Prince Charles.

In roundabout, if an Asian praises someone, that generally doesn't mean much. Our sociology professor illustrated this principle like this: If an Arab says ten times about a woman that she is beautiful, that means that he thinks she is so-so. It's only if he were to express this praise profusely and consistently, dozens of times, would that mean that he actually thinks she is beautiful. Unlike Westerners, where saying something once tends to be considered sufficient and definite.
Without offending your professor I have to say that this is not really an accurate portrayal of Asians. Just like every Westerner is not sitting on a horse and smoking Marlboro, all Asians are not given to profuse praising.

Many Asian races are surly and speak very little - Koreans, Chinese, Japanese. In Arab culture elaborate praise is present. Not elsewhere.

Only one common trait binds all Asians .. (I know it is off topic but indulge me) .. direct conversations do not happen .. I have written about it elsewhere .. let me copy paste it -
If a cop in London needed a loan of £2,000 from a friend he would call the guy over for a drink after work and just lay it out - "Hey pal, could you lend me some money, Molly has been laid off from work and I am behind on rent."

Now if I was going to ask for a loan it would begin with one hour of general conversation .. followed by how prices are rising .. followed by how income is falling followed by .. followed by .. followed by uncomfortable silence from both sides .. followed by broaching the topic of loan (on the whole it holds true for much of Asia from Middle East to Korea).

Lots of groundwork before asking anything. So debates are not very fruitful because there is no time in a debate.

On the whole Asians are not very argumentative or direct.
:namaste:

No_MInd
I know one thing: that I know nothing

binocular

Post by binocular » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:52 am

No_Mind wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:32 am
Without offending your professor I have to say that this is not really an accurate portrayal of Asians. Just like every Westerner is not sitting on a horse and smoking Marlboro, all Asians are not given to profuse praising.
The idea is to talk about the abstract, stereotypical Asian or Westerner, not about particular, actual people. Actual people often differ greatly from the stereotype about their nation or religion.

Communicating with people from other cultures can be extremely difficult, as the other person could be a typical representative of it, or not, but by the time one finds out, it could be too late.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:03 pm

I looked at the video.....I don't see what the point of this thread is. Sounds like the dalia llama was just praising an old friend. Why does he do that?....because he is very fond of his old friend?....maybe at the time the video was made the prince was getting alot of really bad press and he expressed some sadness to the dalia llama about that and the dalia lama was trying to cheer him up a bit and give him some good press......from this we get this thread.....just look at the things people are talking about and saying.....sounds like the national enquirer weekly scandal guide. :buddha2: :toilet:
chownah

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:24 pm

binocular wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:52 am
Communicating with people from other cultures can be extremely difficult, as the other person could be a typical representative of it, or not, but by the time one finds out, it could be too late.
Is it .. I have never found that. I have had Germans, British, Americans, Japanese as friends (both as temporary tourist friends sharing adjoining rooms and longer term as neighbours). In present day, most of the educated (barring some from Bible belt in US or cow belt in India .. the regressive zones in every country) are global citizens.

Would have made a good topic of discussion .. but sadly off topic.

No_MInd

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:14 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Where does ill will enter into it?
Why does it matter what the Dalai Lama says to Prince Charles?

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:44 pm

seeker242 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:14 pm
No_Mind wrote:
Where does ill will enter into it?
Why does it matter what the Dalai Lama says to Prince Charles?
It is not what he says to Prince Charles that matters but what he says about Prince Charles.

No_Mind

manas

Post by manas » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:07 pm

For all his reported faults, I find myself liking the Dalai Lama. He is easygoing, has a sense of humour, and knows a lot about Tibetan Buddhism. I'd rather have a cuppa and a chat with him, than a lot of other people I know, or know of. I would also suggest that, folks ought to be careful, simply quoting hearsay (I've noticed a bit in places) about someone, unless they have pretty clear evidence that a report is true; I can recall the Buddha warning about this once, although I wouldn't know where to find the passage.

:anjali:
Last edited by manas on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowing this body is like a clay jar,
securing this mind like a fort,
attack Mara with the spear of discernment,
then guard what's won without settling there,
without laying claim.

- Dhp 40

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:21 pm

DL said -

"Right from beginning I felt very nice person, so I think 70 years through his own action he proved very wonderful, sensible, good human being"

Prince Charles is a wonderful, sensible, good human being .. :shock:

I thought some here would say he was speaking tongue-in-cheek .. I thought (and prefer to think) he was speaking tongue-in-cheek .. hence I shared the video

No_Mind

binocular

Post by binocular » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:35 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:21 pm
"Right from beginning I felt very nice person, so I think 70 years through his own action he proved very wonderful, sensible, good human being"

I thought some here would say he was speaking tongue-in-cheek .. I thought (and prefer to think) he was speaking tongue-in-cheek .. hence I shared the video
/.../
"There is the case where a person of integrity, when asked, does not reveal another person's bad points, to say nothing of when unasked. Furthermore, when asked, when pressed with questions, he is one who speaks of another person's bad points not in full, not in detail, with omissions, holding back. Of this person you may know, 'This venerable one is a person of integrity.'

"Then again, a person of integrity, when unasked, reveals another person's good points, to say nothing of when asked. Furthermore, when asked, when pressed with questions, he is one who speaks of another person's good points in full & in detail, without omissions, without holding back. Of this person you may know, 'This venerable one is a person of integrity.'
/.../
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:36 am

No_Mind wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:21 pm
Are you saying that you think that charlie is not a wonderful, sensible, good human being? What a novel idea that is. I haven't heard anything bad about him.....can you fill me in on what he has done?
chownah

manas

Post by manas » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:29 am

binocular wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:39 am

Srila Prabhupada (the founder of the Hare Krishna movement from India), for example, believed that all trouble in marriage is the wife's fault.
I can recall, he once said "women are generally less intelligent" [ie, than men], but to say what you quoted above, would take his culturally acquired sexism, to a new level; are you sure he actually said that?

Knowing this body is like a clay jar,
securing this mind like a fort,
attack Mara with the spear of discernment,
then guard what's won without settling there,
without laying claim.

- Dhp 40

alfa

Post by alfa » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:21 am

manas wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:29 am
binocular wrote:

Srila Prabhupada (the founder of the Hare Krishna movement from India), for example, believed that all trouble in marriage is the wife's fault.
I can recall, he once said "women are generally less intelligent" [ie, than men], but to say what you quoted above, would take his culturally acquired sexism, to a new level; are you sure he actually said that?

The man also said women enjoyed rape and compared black men to apes. :shock:

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:14 am

manas wrote:
binocular wrote:

Source?
alfa wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:21 am
manas wrote:
binocular wrote:

Source?

Not because I am challenging you but because I want to know. Without trustworthy sources it is fake news.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:07 am

Greetings,
alfa wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:21 am
manas wrote:
binocular wrote:

There's a lot of pretty significant accusations going on here.

Are these things common knowledge or hearsay?

To the extent that it's possible to provide a link to substantiate any allegations, that would be appropriate... after all, we don't want to be inadvertently peddling Fake News!

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:22 am

No_Mind wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:05 pm
Please see the video .. it is quite short. Hear carefully what HH Dalai Lama says .. he could have just made a polite comment or two and let it rest but he goes out of the way to paint the gentleman in question almost as a bodhisattva .. something we all know he is not.

Why does the Dalai Lama act in this funny way? No nation will help Tibetans return to Tibet. Not possible. In fact it is quite doubtful if Tibet at all exists now since China has gone to great lengths to re-educate and indoctrinate the populace there and make them aligned to Chinese instead of Tibetan identity.

Why is he doing the things he does? Till 1985 when China's per capita GDP was $100 .. his efforts made some sense .. now it is same as trying to take Alaska and Hawaii away from USA.

No_Mind
It does seem a bit over the top. Maybe his holiness was extracting the urine out of him a bit 😂 He said he was very sensible. Come on now 😂