Why does Dalai Lama do the things he does?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
No_Mind

Why does Dalai Lama do the things he does?

Post by No_Mind » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Please see the video .. it is quite short. Hear carefully what HH Dalai Lama says .. he could have just made a polite comment or two and let it rest but he goes out of the way to paint the gentleman in question almost as a bodhisattva .. something we all know he is not.

Why does the Dalai Lama act in this funny way? No nation will help Tibetans return to Tibet. Not possible. In fact it is quite doubtful if Tibet at all exists now since China has gone to great lengths to re-educate and indoctrinate the populace there and make them aligned to Chinese instead of Tibetan identity.

Why is he doing the things he does? Till 1985 when China's per capita GDP was $100 .. his efforts made some sense .. now it is same as trying to take Alaska and Hawaii away from USA.

:namaste:

No_Mind
I know one thing: that I know nothing

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Why does Dalai Lama do the things he does?

Post by DNS » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:32 pm

Nice video. I like the way he holds Prince Charles' hand and his humorous demeanor. Maybe it's Prince Charles' kamma that he's born a royal? It would be compatible with the Dhamma, I presume.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:46 pm

DNS wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:32 pm
Nice video. I like the way he holds Prince Charles' hand and his humorous demeanor. Maybe it's Prince Charles' kamma that he's born a royal? It would be compatible with the Dhamma, I presume.
I have no objection to Charles being a member of the royal family (though I object to any form of monarchy and hope the British have the good sense to stop providing them millions of pounds after Queen Elizabeth passes away)

I have great objection to his treatment of his wife. I believe the appropriate British way to describe him would be - adulterous cad of a husband. How could the Dalai Lama praise such a man so unreservedly?

No_Mind

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:47 pm

Price Charles, nice guy, he is living a big part of the year in Romania. He has a house in the Transylvania region.

As for the Dalai Lama, he is like a robot produced by leftist media in USA. He even declared himself a marxist. Everything he says is meant to make him be loved by this media. And that is why the leader of a cult almost as small as Scientology got to be considered the image of buddhism world-wide. Imagine if the Amish or some super small sect would get to be considered the representatives of whole christianity.

And good point about the return to tibet. It really doesn't make too much sense now to try and return the population to medieval-level of development. Maybe it made sense in the past when the chinese were poor and brutal communist, but doesn't make sense now.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:20 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:46 pm
I believe the appropriate British way to describe him would be - adulterous cad of a husband.
It might have been appropriate in the early 1930s, but today British people don't describe anyone in this way except ironically. Toodle Pip, old boy!

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:33 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:05 pm
Why is he doing the things he does? Till 1985 when China's per capita GDP was $100 .. his efforts made some sense .. now it is same as trying to take Alaska and Hawaii away from USA.
Dalai Lama has a long history with the CIA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_Tibetan_program) & thus the Western political establishment, where for many years he was given US$180,000 per year. Has the Dalai Lama ever expressed compassion towards the colonial European & later US-funded-Japanese brutality against China prior to WW2? If Tibet was not Chinese, would Tibet have US military bases & missiles in it?

The politicians DL consorts with appear very selective. Below, with the two of the three makers of the Iraq War, which has directly & indirectly lead to the deaths & hardships of millions, including refugees; even though Iraq was not related to 9/11 & terrorism.

Image Image

The other war maker refused to meet DL in 2004, despite the DL wanting to meet him.
Tony Blair was today accused of snubbing one of the world's great spiritual leaders, after refusing a meeting with the Dalai Lama.
The exiled Tibetan spiritual leader - who preaches non-violence :roll: in his country's struggle for independence from China - will visit the UK in May, but has been rejected for an audience with the prime minister.

Philippa Carrick, chief executive of the Tibet Society, said: "The Dalai Lama deserves better than Tony Blair's feeble fob-off response."

The Tibet Society said that, in the context of the global fight against terrorism :? , the prime minister should take the opportunity to support a man who has always urged his followers to use peaceful means in the struggle for their independence.

Ms Carrick added: "Tibet's spiritual leader has set a model of peaceful governance [1959 Tibetan uprising] that should be applauded, not shunned.

At this critical time for the world community, we must be seen to support those who don't resort to terrorism :? to fight for their human rights. Otherwise, what alternative is there to violence?

If we ignore Tibet, we further the cause of global terror. :roll:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... npolicy.uk

Last edited by DooDoot on Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:57 pm

Just imagine, Dalai Lama wearing a tie and a coat and Gorge Bush wearing a robe.
Who would you prefer?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

binocular

Post by binocular » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:39 am

No_Mind wrote:
I have great objection to his treatment of his wife. I believe the appropriate British way to describe him would be - adulterous cad of a husband. How could the Dalai Lama praise such a man so unreservedly?
You're from India. What is the stereotype in India about trouble in marriage -- whose fault is it?

Srila Prabhupada (the founder of the Hare Krishna movement from India), for example, believed that all trouble in marriage is the wife's fault.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that people from other Asian countries believe such things, and that they would find no fault with a cheating husband.
Actually, I don't know many people who would find fault with a cheating husband to begin with.
No_Mind wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:05 pm
Please see the video .. it is quite short. Hear carefully what HH Dalai Lama says .. he could have just made a polite comment or two and let it rest but he goes out of the way to paint the gentleman in question almost as a bodhisattva .. something we all know he is not.
Or maybe that's just the standard way to talk to royals.
Why is he doing the things he does?
Well, everyone 's got 24 hours in a day, and has to spend them doing something.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:43 am

Sam Vara wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:20 pm
No_Mind wrote:
I believe the appropriate British way to describe him would be - adulterous cad of a husband.
It might have been appropriate in the early 1930s, but today British people don't describe anyone in this way except ironically. Toodle Pip, old boy!
English gentlemen aren't what they used to be. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:10 pm

No_Mind wrote:
I have great objection to his treatment of his wife. I believe the appropriate British way to describe him would be - adulterous cad of a husband.
I think only historically uninformed British would apply that label to senior royalty. For everyone else it's simply called normal behaviour for a British king or king-to-be.
In the English court, a royal mistress was a woman who was the lover of the King. She may have been taken either before or after his accession to the throne. Although it generally is only used of females, by extrapolation, the relation can cover any lover of the monarch whether male or female. To date no English reigning Queen is known to have had a lover.

Monarchs had an incentive to take mistresses in that they generally made dynastic marriages of convenience, and there was often little love in them.

Beyond the physical relationship, the royal mistress would often exercise a profound influence over the King, extending even to affairs of State. Her relationship with the Queen could be tense, although some wives appear to have felt little jealousy in the matter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_a ... l_mistress

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:39 pm

binocular wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:39 am
No_Mind wrote:
You're from India. What is the stereotype in India about trouble in marriage -- whose fault is it?

Srila Prabhupada (the founder of the Hare Krishna movement from India), for example, believed that all trouble in marriage is the wife's fault.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that people from other Asian countries believe such things, and that they would find no fault with a cheating husband.
Actually, I don't know many people who would find fault with a cheating husband to begin with.
I do not hold a brief for Srila Prabhupada. He was not a very well respected teacher in India and by the time he went abroad he was quite old (70, I believe) and like all old men given to making statements that leaves one aghast (assuming he made that statement). Most of us consider ISKCON (otherwise known as Hare Krishna movement) as a cult but since we have no similar word in vernacular .. describe it as a sect .. among many hundreds.

I dare not discuss "stereotype in India about trouble in marriage" since my most sincere and obnoxious follower on DW will take it as permission to come and sea lion.

All I will say is .. India is an agglomeration of thirty different predominantly Hindu countries each with their own norms and values (just like Greece and Norway share same landmass and religion but are not same in other ways) .. where I live .. the race I am .. we are extremely liberal and secular and women are not treated unfairly (in fact .. a woman has in some ways slight edge over a man).

Civil society is very powerful and public intellectuals are very active .. to the point of being a fifth estate .. and being unfair to anyone is quite impossible here.
Dinsdale wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:43 am
Sam Vara wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:20 pm
No_Mind wrote:
English gentlemen aren't what they used to be. :tongue:
When it comes to England, I am stuck in P G Wodehouse era. Ishiguro's "Remains of the Day" is my most beloved novel and movie about England .. so yes my England ended with .. tough to say .. I guess Anthony Eden and Suez crisis. That England (pre-Beatles) was the most wonderful country in the whole world and no one can make me believe otherwise.
Dhammanando wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:10 pm
No_Mind wrote:
I have great objection to his treatment of his wife. I believe the appropriate British way to describe him would be - adulterous cad of a husband.
I think only historically uninformed British would apply that label to senior royalty. For everyone else it's simply called normal behaviour for a British king or king-to-be.
Prince Charles was welcome to have a mistress .. but in a more dignified way and without causing Princess Diana to feel ""It was three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded" .. most of us learned about John F Kennedy's unrestrained sexual appetite long after his death.

No_Mind

chownah

Post by chownah » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:29 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:39 pm

Prince Charles was welcome to have a mistress .. but in a more dignified way and without causing Princess Diana to feel ""It was three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded" ..
If she was being more honest she would have said "it was four....(or five)...(or six)...."
chownah

Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:21 pm

No_Mind wrote:
DNS wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:32 pm
I have no objection to Charles being a member of the royal family (though I object to any form of monarchy and hope the British have the good sense to stop providing them millions of pounds after Queen Elizabeth passes away)

No_Mind
He's a good schmoozer. Very necessary for a politician. It works on westerners, not such good luck with Chinese, though.

binocular

Post by binocular » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:23 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Prince Charles was welcome to have a mistress .. but in a more dignified way and without causing Princess Diana to feel ""It was three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded" ..
The historical and technological circumstances were new, though, so the situation is not comparable to previous royal marriages where the king or king-to-be had a mistress. This was the first time that the media intruded upon the private lives of the royal family so much.
And was also the first time that a member of the royal family tried to use the media, like lady Diana did.

See also the statement by the communications secretary to Prince Harry, for a recent example of how the royal family is pressured and intruded upon by the media.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:40 pm

binocular wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:23 pm
No_Mind wrote:
The historical and technological circumstances were new, though, so the situation is not comparable to previous royal marriages where the king or king-to-be had a mistress. This was the first time that the media intruded upon the private lives of the royal family so much.
And was also the first time that a member of the royal family tried to use the media, like lady Diana did.

See also the statement by the communications secretary to Prince Harry, for a recent example of how the royal family is pressured and intruded upon by the media.
By dignified, I meant Diana should have been informed/apprised through an intermediary that the Prince will have a mistress or three during his lifetime. Not let Diana discover it on her own during their honeymoon (the intertwined C cufflinks etc). Quite a shock for a 19 year old girl.

However, Prince Charles has from childhood been an odd fellow .. with very strange accent (not posh English but something else which only he speaks) .. weird interests (sad state of modern architecture and people designing buildings he does not like! .. he wants homeopathy to be part of NHS!) Remember his comment a decade back about "people trying to rise above their station."

About Prince Harry .. he is an almost middle aged man who runs and frolics naked through a Las Vegas hotel and then expects respect.

I respect the Queen and Prince Philip. She is a very strong woman.

After the Queen passes the monarchy should be dissolved .. the family can maintain its titles but earn their own living and buy their own homes.

How can Meghan Markle who has double major from North Western, and is a very successful actress, marry into this dysfunctional family.

No_Mind