Person Christmas

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Person Christmas

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:53 am

Seasons Greetings,

What do you think about "Person Christmas"?

Ho, ho, ho, ho, ho,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Polar Bear

Re: Person Christmas

Post by Polar Bear » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:01 am

Heyyy, whatever floats your boat! As your avatar used to say (if memory serves me correctly), keep calm and carry on. Ho ho ho! 🎅

Edit: While we're busy updating things, I think Santa's sleigh should be drawn by polar bears! Polar bears are cool 8-)

Actually, Santa should just be a polar bear, Rudolph can keep guiding his sleigh at night.

Perhaps a gender fluid polar bear if you like

Although I imagine belief in Santa might decline among small children if Santa was presented as a polar bear rather than a person. Plus, it'd be probably be pretty hard to train all those captive polar bears to have children sit on their laps in local malls and answer requests for gifts.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:34 am

Greetings Polar,

The problem with that idea is that we'd then have to change its name to Sentient Being Christmas...

:jawdrop:

Hammer and sickle,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:57 am

Nah, I'll prob just call him Papa Bear Christmas, but if other people prefer other (pro)nouns that's their prerogative.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:24 am

polarbear101 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:01 am
Although I imagine belief in Santa might decline among small children if Santa was presented as a polar bear rather than a person. Plus, it'd be probably be pretty hard to train all those captive polar bears to have children sit on their laps in local malls and answer requests for gifts.
The bears would probably eat the elves too. :woohoo:

I suppose if a British elf was injured by Santa Claws, they could get treatment under the National 'Elf Service. :toilet:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:37 am

He is known by many names across the globe "Christmas man" being a North German name. Local customs of name are applicable. It is a silly idea
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:46 am

Buddha save me from new-agers!

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:39 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:53 am
What do you think about "Person Christmas"?
That it discriminates gainst non-persons. Therfore, it should be "entity Christmas." But then that's discriminating agianst non-entities.
Ah. Can't please everyone.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:26 pm

Dinsdale wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:46 am
Santa is really Satan! :tongue:
It is a perfect anagram.

In that case god is a dog.

Mohammad is really dhamma-om :meditate: :shock:

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:56 pm

Who are the people 'calling' for this? I'd bet there are many fewer of them than people who are perfectly happy with Father Christmas. If one doesn't like it, why not just make up ones own Christmas figurehead and get on with it.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:22 pm

I bet there are way more people circulating that to reinforce and share their views about all those wacko "others" who are destroying our world than there are people who actually take the idea seriously -- just a hunch.
(I would not be surprised if it was "fake news" created for that purpose -- but I sure don't know about that stuff -- I don't even have a cell phone -- never mind a smart one -- or facebook -- DW is as HiTech as I get!)

OT: Keep Malcolm in Xmas. ;)
Best wishes on the path, DW folks.
"...the practice is essentially a practice, and not a theory to be idly discussed...right view leaves unanswered many questions about the cosmos and the self, and directs your attention to what needs to be done to escape from the ravages of suffering." Thanissaro Bhikkhu, On The Path.

Stiphan

Post by Stiphan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:10 pm

In Bulgaria, we call Santa Claus "Дядо Коледа" (Dyado Koleda), which translates to "Grandfather Christmas".