Israel calls on world Jewry

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 11701
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Israel calls on world Jewry

Post by DNS » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:03 am

Guatemala is moving its embassy to Jerusalem now:
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... m-51982193

So along with the U.S., Bolivia, and Paraguay, that will make 4 nations out of roughly 200 nations on earth. Start of a trend? :tongue:

chownah
Posts: 7412
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Israel calls on world Jewry

Post by chownah » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:32 am

DNS wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:03 am
Guatemala is moving its embassy to Jerusalem now:
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... m-51982193

So along with the U.S., Bolivia, and Paraguay, that will make 4 nations out of roughly 200 nations on earth. Start of a trend? :tongue:
Maybe bolivia, guatamala, and paraguay will use their facilities in jerusalem to act as the embassy for BOTH israel and palestine......that might be helpful I guess but don't know for sure.
chownah

User avatar
Leeuwenhoek2
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:24 pm

Re: Israel calls on world Jewry

Post by Leeuwenhoek2 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:11 am

apodictic (also apodeictic)
Definitions from 3 sources
Apodictic wrote:ADJECTIVE
formal - Clearly established or beyond dispute.
:candle:
expressing or of the nature of necessary truth or absolute certainty
  • a handy word that can describe a conclusive concept, a conclusive person, or even that conclusive person's conclusive remarks.
-- https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/apodictic
:candle:
1. incontestable because of having been demonstrated or proved to be demonstrable.
2. Logic. (of a proposition) necessarily true or logically certain.
-- http://www.dictionary.com/browse/apodictic
:candle:
Propositions that are demonstrably, necessarily or self-evidently the case.
Apodictic propositions contrast with assertoric propositions, which merely assert that something is (or is not) the case, and with problematic propositions, which assert only the possibility of something being true.
  • Apodictic judgments are clearly provable or logically certain. For instance, "Two plus two equals four" is apodictic.
  • "Chicago is larger than Omaha" is assertoric.
  • A corporation could be wealthier than a country" is problematic.
Example:
He expressed his opinions apodictically.
It would have a necessary influence, or what philosophers sometimes call apodictic force.
--------------------------------------------------------
Philosophers sometimes inform the reader that they are going to speak in a apodictic mode or apodictically. Not having to make the normal qualifications and offer proofs does speed up the delivery.

Scientists and scholars tend to be cautious and speak in a decidedly non-apodictic mode.
The first 2 steps of the following sutta illustrates a non-apodictic mode of speech.
Aṅguttara Nikāya wrote: 5. Book of the Fives
159. About Udayin

“It’s not easy to teach the Dhamma to others, Ananda. The Dhamma should be taught to others only when five qualities are established within the person teaching. Which five?

“[1] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, ‘I will speak step-by-step.’
“[2] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, ‘I will speak explaining the sequence [of cause & effect].’
“[3] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, ‘I will speak out of compassion.’
“[4] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, ‘I will speak not for the purpose of material reward.’
“[5] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, ‘I will speak without hurting myself or others.’
-- https://suttacentral.net/en/an5.159
The dharma suggests having a kind of apodictic or assertoric faith or confidence but to teach it non-apodictically -- as something that needs to be carefully understood and demonstrated.
Last edited by Leeuwenhoek2 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Leeuwenhoek2
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:24 pm

Re: Israel calls on world Jewry

Post by Leeuwenhoek2 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:21 am

Anyone. Is there a good -- meaning two or more positions represented -- debate about this issue (embassies in Jerusalem) available on the web?
DNS wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:03 am
Guatemala is moving its embassy to Jerusalem now:
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... m-51982193

So along with the U.S., Bolivia, and Paraguay, that will make 4 nations out of roughly 200 nations on earth. Start of a trend? :tongue:
Multiple your number by 2 then add 1 according to your source.
Guatemala was one of nine nations that voted with the United States and Israel on Thursday when the U.N. General Assembly overwhelmingly adopted a non-binding resolution denouncing Trump's recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

...
Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyad al-Malki criticized the decision Monday, saying in a statement Morales was "dragging his country to the wrong side of history by committing a flagrant violation of international law."
(Was that a apodictic or assertoric statement?)
In the right hands international law is even more elastic than the new trend. :tongue:

User avatar
DooDoot
Posts: 2498
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: Israel calls on world Jewry

Post by DooDoot » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:13 am

DNS wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:03 am
So along with the U.S., Bolivia, and Paraguay, that will make 4 nations out of roughly 200 nations on earth. Start of a trend? :tongue:
Maybe they were bullied (but maybe not). Regardless, today I watched a video on the 1967 Six Day War (given I knew nothing much about it) & found myself sort of cheering for the Israelis (despite their excessive use of military force in the Sinai). Those vain Arabs were so dumb & in error.

User avatar
manas
Posts: 2464
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:04 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Israel calls on world Jewry

Post by manas » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:11 pm

DNS wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:05 am


Small world! What years were you there? I made friends with Israelis and Palestinians too, the secular types. I often rode my bicycle through Palestinian areas on Saturday (sabbath) because if I go through Jewish neighborhoods, some fanatics would throw rocks at me (forbidden for Jews to work or exercise on sabbath).
An aside, but what is it with rocks, and Abrahamic faiths? Gosh, there must be a lot of rocks just lying around, in that part of the world. :tongue:
Knowing this body is like a clay jar,
securing this mind like a fort,
attack Mara with the spear of discernment,
then guard what's won without settling there,
without laying claim.

- Dhp 40

User avatar
DooDoot
Posts: 2498
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: Israel calls on world Jewry

Post by DooDoot » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:57 am

manas wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:11 pm
An aside, but what is it with rocks, and Abrahamic faiths? Gosh, there must be a lot of rocks just lying around, in that part of the world. :tongue:
Its like Buddhists growing lotuses to take to a ceremony:
Exodus 19:12-14
They are to be stoned or shot with arrows; not a hand is to be laid on them.
Exodus 35:2
For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a day of sabbath rest to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it is to be put to death
.
Leviticus 20:27
A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist :tongue: among you must be put to death. You are to stone them; their blood will be on their own heads.

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 11701
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Israel calls on world Jewry

Post by DNS » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:03 am

manas wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:11 pm
An aside, but what is it with rocks, and Abrahamic faiths? Gosh, there must be a lot of rocks just lying around, in that part of the world. :tongue:
Yes, lots of rocks lying around; Israel and Palestine, like other nations around there are right in the desert and lots of construction going on all the time, plus natural rocks lying around and buildings being torn down to put up new ones. And the Israeli military has had a habit of tearing down Palestinian homes of people they don't like, creating more rubble and rocks.

And then there are some "holy" rocks there too. The famous Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem contains a very large black rock that is said to be the place where Abraham almost performed a human sacrifice on his son and also the place where Muhammad went to heaven. And the Wailing - Western Wall is a series of boulders, said to be the only remaining perimeter wall from the Second Temple.

alan
Posts: 3087
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:14 am
Location: Miramar beach, Fl.

Re: Israel calls on world Jewry

Post by alan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:22 am

Just in case you ever get the idea that humans are basically smart and decent, go to Jerusalem. You'll find that people only believe what they've been taught to believe.
And will fight to keep their fantasies. There is no solution to this.

User avatar
CedarTree
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: Israel calls on world Jewry

Post by CedarTree » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:12 am

I think a powerful practice for you in life will be to avoid twisting peoples narratives into fitting into your own. Sometimes by downright changing the content of it or adding things not present.

Best of luck. and don't let hate guide you. Trust me it's only something that adds more suffering.
DooDoot wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:39 am
CedarTree wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:51 pm
Paying attention to the bold and underlined may help Lol.
The disclaimer does not mean it is valid.
CedarTree wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:51 pm
In all seriousness this is a day of sharing time with loved ones and family.
Sounds like Virtue Signalling.
CedarTree wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:51 pm
I hope for everyone it is a good time and that we can remember attitudes and basic ways of approaching subjects (meta-backgrounds) that foster peace, love, and togetherness.
So you are saying moving the US Embassy against the wishes of the majority of nations & people will foster peace, love and togetherness.
CedarTree wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:51 pm
Exclusion, Alientation, and "Other" are ridicilious. You don't win by using the same themes in combating those themes. That has been shown over and over and over.
So you agree with the my opening post that the US-Israeli govt group won't win by calling on world Jewry to protest to (other) govts for the exclusion & alienation of others won't be beneficial. Well done. :thumbsup:


Practice, Practice, Practice


User avatar
DooDoot
Posts: 2498
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: Israel calls on world Jewry

Post by DooDoot » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:31 am

CedarTree wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:12 am
I think a powerful practice for you in life will be to avoid twisting peoples narratives into fitting into your own.
Its more powerful to be a Buddhist that trusts in the law of kamma rather than believe a certain group of people are a 'Chosen People' therefore all members of that group are faultless & immune from the laws of kamma.
CedarTree wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:12 am
Trust me.
Sorry but I can't trust what you say because I think it is chauvinist & emotionally sentimental.

Saengnapha
Posts: 1350
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 am

Re: Israel calls on world Jewry

Post by Saengnapha » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:21 am

alan wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:22 am
Just in case you ever get the idea that humans are basically smart and decent, go to Jerusalem. You'll find that people only believe what they've been taught to believe.
And will fight to keep their fantasies. There is no solution to this.
No need to go so far. I step outside of my place and see the same thing. oy vay!

User avatar
CedarTree
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: Israel calls on world Jewry

Post by CedarTree » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:20 pm

DooDoot wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:31 am
CedarTree wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:12 am
I think a powerful practice for you in life will be to avoid twisting peoples narratives into fitting into your own.
Its more powerful to be a Buddhist that trusts in the law of kamma rather than believe a certain group of people are a 'Chosen People' therefore all members of that group are faultless & immune from the laws of kamma.
CedarTree wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:12 am
Trust me.
Sorry but I can't trust what you say because I think it is chauvinist & emotionally sentimental.
You picked a perspective and thus got tunnel vision and created self and other based on the positions on the position.

Because you picked one and invested yourself you assumed when others challenged or brought up dimensions that didn't fit into the narrative (All narratives fall short in life and don't include everything...) you assumed I stood for the standard opposing narrative (which I don't)

This is why I pointed out that 1. you need to not get trapped into tunnel vision around complex and difficult situations in this world, 2. you need to realize that creating aversion and attachment around ideas/perspectives/etc are rarely helpful and inherently divide and strengthen the meta backgrounds that create a lot of the problems you are referencing in your posts, 3. you need to not have so much division deep down around other people. We are all one family and that family goes past humanity too. This is all existence and we are a family in existence. All made up of existence ;)

All in all don't let yourself get stuck in tunnel vision and especially not around character traits such as alientation, aggression, and self-limiting. It is the main root of the problems that you so want to draw attention to.

Best of luck and don't do a speedy reply trying to get "one up" on this invisible guy you have no idea about. Just really think about what was said and how you can maybe be a better you.


Practice, Practice, Practice


User avatar
DooDoot
Posts: 2498
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: Israel calls on world Jewry

Post by DooDoot » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:34 am

CedarTree wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:20 pm
We are all one family and that family goes past humanity too. This is all existence and we are a family in existence. All made up of existence.
In five ways, young householder, the parents thus ministered to as the East by their children, show their compassion:

(i) they restrain them from evil,
(ii) they encourage them to do good,
(iii) they train them for a profession,
(iv) they arrange a suitable marriage,
(v) at the proper time they hand over their inheritance to them.

DN 31 :heart:


CedarTree wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:20 pm
. Just really think about what was said and how you can maybe be a better you.
Helping Jewish people avoid dangerous deeds makes a better "me". :heart:

In 1933, the self-proclaimed leaders of World Jewry called on World Jewry to make a declaration of war against Germany. By 1945, it is said 6,000,000 were dead.

In 2017, the self-proclaimed leaders of World Jewry called on World Jewry to make a declaration against the wishes of most people of the world.

:focus:

Image Image

Image Image

User avatar
CedarTree
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: Israel calls on world Jewry

Post by CedarTree » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:31 pm

Take time to think about what I said.


DooDoot wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:34 am
CedarTree wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:20 pm
We are all one family and that family goes past humanity too. This is all existence and we are a family in existence. All made up of existence.
In five ways, young householder, the parents thus ministered to as the East by their children, show their compassion:

(i) they restrain them from evil,
(ii) they encourage them to do good,
(iii) they train them for a profession,
(iv) they arrange a suitable marriage,
(v) at the proper time they hand over their inheritance to them.

DN 31 :heart:


CedarTree wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:20 pm
. Just really think about what was said and how you can maybe be a better you.
Helping Jewish people avoid dangerous deeds makes a better "me". :heart:

In 1933, the self-proclaimed leaders of World Jewry called on World Jewry to make a declaration of war against Germany. By 1945, it is said 6,000,000 were dead.

In 2017, the self-proclaimed leaders of World Jewry called on World Jewry to make a declaration against the wishes of most people of the world.

:focus:

Image Image

Image Image


Practice, Practice, Practice


Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests