What is up with all the fringe, alt-right commentary peppered throughout DW?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
L.N.

What is up with all the fringe, alt-right commentary peppered throughout DW?

Post by L.N. » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:09 am

Has anyone else noticed a recurring undercurrent of alt-right sentiments and views cropping up in discussions here on DW, even in discussion which are not political in nature, such as Dhamma discussion regarding Right Speech?

The following sums up a lot of what I have noticed lately:
... the whole point of the Alt-Right as the current it has become only is to be against things – against Leftist things that to some appear as excessive emphasis on equality, unreasonably high standards of tolerance and an overly suffocating sensitiveness. Above all, perhaps, the Alt-Right is a reaction against the nauseating moral high horses the Left has ridden for far too long. It simply suffices to point out the fact that such notions are the only things all those Alt-Righters seem to agree upon, it’s actually their primary preoccupation. If you don’t believe me, take a look at a random Alt-Right forum on the internet: 90% of everything consists of outcries against people considered unreasonably demanding regarding political rights, inappropriately vocal about social injustices and overly critical of oppression. That’s the Alt-Right in a nutshell – basically, a movement about being offended about others being offended.
Source.

I really hope I have not accidentally landed on an alt-right forum here.
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: What is up with all the fringe, alt-right commentary peppered throughout DW?

Post by retrofuturist » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:51 am

Greetings,

From memory, I've not encountered a single member of this forum who identifies as "alt-right", especially not since the term evolved to become synonymous with right-wing identitarianism. Namely, it's a position which is a mirror image to the left-wing Cultural Marxist/SJW ideology of splitting people up by characterists such as race, gender, sexuality etc. and discriminating accordingly. Much like Cultural Marxism, it splits people up by these groupings, but picks different groups to discriminate for and against. Given it is not egalitarian in this regard, I personally regard the alt-right and SJW'ism with comparable disdain, for their ignorance, discrimination, intolerance, irrationality and emotional tantrums.

Anyone I've met here who is classical liberal, centrist, libertarian, right-wing, conservative, apolitical etc. typically believes in treating people as people... neither discriminating for, nor against them, based on identity classifications. To paraphrase Martin Luther King, they'll judge a member by their character, not by the colour of their skin (nor their race, sexuality, gender etc.). In general, they're also usually well behaved and not likely to start crusades or smear campaigns which demonstrate intolerance towards, or seek censorship of those whose views may differ to theirs.

As such, I find this process of repeatedly railing against the "alt-right" in discussions at this forum to be a pathetic ill-directed attempt to discredit views that one disagrees with, in a transparent attempt to smear them as extremist. It is much easier to attach a label to an idea and dismiss it on that basis than to actually engage with it, and refute it, it seems. Such outright dismissal may work on a personal level, because people can decide to consider or reject perspectives as they see fit, but inferring on implied moral grounds that others should do likewise is both disrespectful to the intellectual autonomy of others, and is intellectually bereft, because it uses argumentum ad hominem in lieu of reason, logic, or a well constructed argument. Such attempts are easily seen for what they are by those who aren't taken in by the destructive, faithless, adhammic and socially corrosive obsession of identity classification.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

DooDoot

Re: What is up with all the fringe, alt-right commentary peppered throughout DW?

Post by DooDoot » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:08 am

L.N. wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:09 am
Has anyone else noticed a recurring undercurrent of alt-right sentiments and views cropping up in discussions here on DW, even in discussion which are not political in nature, such as Dhamma discussion regarding Right Speech?
What I have noticed recurring is various sentiments cropping up along what is called a right to left wing continuum. Each sentiment includes a subject matter which a certain individual may consider to be important therefore which is best listened to & considered with empathy. The gift of speech exists for communication; for discussing different ideas & viewpoints, so different people can start to come to an understanding of eachothers views, hopes, concerns & aspirations.

:group: :console:

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:49 am

L.N. wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:09 am
I really hope I have not accidentally landed on an alt-right forum here.
I was looking for Glenn Beck and I end up with Theravada. Google.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:43 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:51 am
... I personally regard the alt-right and SJW'ism with comparable disdain, for their ignorance, discrimination, intolerance, irrationality and emotional tantrums.
Ok, I think I'm with you so far. We prefer not to be subject to another's ignorance, discrimination, irrationality and emotion tantrums.
Anyone I've met here who is classical liberal, centrist, libertarian, right-wing, conservative, apolitical etc. typically believes in treating people as people... neither discriminating for, nor against them, based on identity classifications. To paraphrase Martin Luther King, they'll judge a member by their character, not by the colour of their skin (nor their race, sexuality, gender etc.).
How about judging the words instead of the people? Wouldn't that be more in keeping with general principles of civility? Or do you think judging people is really what this is all about?
In general, they're also usually well behaved and not likely to start crusades or smear campaigns which demonstrate intolerance towards, or seek censorship of those whose views may differ to theirs.
Are you referring the the smear campaigns you launch when you label others and (as you do in this very Topic) attack their perceived character rather than their words? Are you referring to deletion of posts with which you disagree on the basis that such comments are "meta discussion"? When you engage in identical so-called "meta discussion", it's permitted. You can dish it out, but you can't take it.
As such, I find this process of repeatedly railing against the "alt-right" in discussions at this forum to be a pathetic ill-directed attempt to discredit views that one disagrees with, in a transparent attempt to smear them as extremist.
You have got to be kidding. You're the one who keeps bringing up George Soros and all that conspiracy theory garbage. The quote in the OP exactly describes the manner in which you (and others who espouse fringe conservative views) treat those with whom you disagree.
It is much easier to attach a label to an idea and dismiss it on that basis than to actually engage with it, and refute it, it seems.
Of course that's only a one-way street in your view, correct? At least that is what you appear to be saying. When people with my views are labeled as "trolls" or "hypocrites" or "virtue signalers," or when you label people as "pig-headed" or "quarrelsome" etc., that doesn't count in your book as labeling. Rather, you view it as the hard truth that people like me have to hear. Again, you can dish it out, but you can't take it.
Such outright dismissal may work on a personal level, because people can decide to consider or reject perspectives as they see fit, but inferring on implied moral grounds that others should do likewise is both disrespectful to the intellectual autonomy of others, and is intellectually bereft, because it uses argumentum ad hominem in lieu of reason, logic, or a well constructed argument. Such attempts are easily seen for what they are by those who aren't taken in by the destructive, faithless, adhammic and socially corrosive obsession of identity classification.
First, this comment violates TOS, as follows (not that you care):
Any subject matter that may be off-topic or is intended to cause disruption or harm may be removed without notice. This includes, but is not restricted to:
d. Unsubstantiated allegations against individuals or traditions - including psychoanalyzing other members, and predictions or threats of kammic retribution
f. Personal attacks, including the vilification of individuals based on any attributes - whether related to their personal attributes (e.g. gender, nationality, sexuality, race, age) or their approach to the Dhamma (e.g. their practices, level of experience, or chosen tradition)
TOS.

For example, I do not have an "obsession," but even if I did, your attempt to diagnose me as having an "obsession" is off-topic and a violation of TOS (not that you care).

Second, you are conflating "identity classification" with "identity view." Most of what you are saying does not make a lot of sense.

Look back at all your wacky George Soros commentary. I think you and I agree, if it looks like a duck ...

I'm fairly confident that I have accidentally landed on a forum which is at least highly influenced by viewpoints consistent with the alt-right. And here I thought the forum was devoted to discussion of Dhamma. Your comments above demonstrate otherwise.
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:00 am

Greetings,

As confirmed by L.N.'s post above, this topic is inherently a violation of Rule 2 of the News section, which in part reads...
Whilst you may critique ideas, you may not attack or smear members who ascribe to such views, or who are perceived by you (rightly or wrongly) to be holders of those views
As such, it will be closed.

If anyone wishes to raise similar issues, please do so in a manner compliant with both the Terms Of Service and the rules that are specific to this particular section.

Thank you.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)