The Truth About The Rohingya Lie

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Kusala

The Truth About The Rohingya Lie

Post by Kusala » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:49 pm

You won't hear this from the mainstream media. It's not about the right or left, in my opinion, it's about the truth.

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "

Kusala

Re: The Truth About The Rohingya Lie

Post by Kusala » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:07 pm

My fellow Buddhists, this is a must listen...

He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:42 pm

Kusala wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:07 pm
Many thanks, Kusala, it is indeed very interesting. I could only listen to about a third of it, but will return to it later. I'd never heard a sustained exposition which blamed the Muslims before; obviously, the media in the West are keen to portray this as being an issue in which the Muslims are victims, a point which the two people on the video discuss at some length. This question may have come up later in the video when the listener calls started coming in, but why have the Burmese leadership - Aung San Suu Kyi in particular - not done more to combat the official Western line, if it is not true? She has maintained almost total silence, which has been represented in the West as complicity with genocide. Surely it would have been easy to deny that Burmese Buddhist civilians and the army were solely to blame?

Could I also ask whether you live in the region, and have first-hand experience of this conflict? Or do you favour the view presented in the video because it is consistent with other reports? I'm not very well informed about the conflict and how it is reported, but you can probably see how readily this video would be dismissed by those who want to take the alternative view.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:53 am

Kusala, I am NOT going to spend an hour and a half watching that video because
(1) any 'news' report contradicting the majority of mainstream news on any subject is more likely to be wrong than right,
(2) if it comes from a source with no track record of responsible reporting, it's even more likely to be wrong than right,
(3) this is the most informative article about the video's author that I could find in ten minutes http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/not ... ime-charge, which tells me he's so far out on the fringe that wikipedia and other reputable sources don't even know he exists, and
(4) the article begins like this:
A self-described “journalist & social commentator” known for posting angry video rants attacking Muslims and a range of other targets has been charged with committing a hate crime.

Kevin J. Johnston, a 45-year-old resident of Mississauga, Ont., posts videos on his website freedomreport.ca and to various social media platforms, and at one point had his accounts suspended by YouTube and Twitter.

Though he carried on fights with various public figures (and even ran for mayor of Mississauga in 2014) he focused much of his attention on schools, which he accused of “indoctrinating” students with Islamic ideology. In one video, he offered a bounty — first $1,000, later increased to $2,500 — to anyone who filmed a Muslim student in a Mississauga school “spewing hate speech during Friday prayers.”

In another, he said Liberal MP Iqra Khalid could get shot for introducing a motion condemning Islamophobia in the House of Commons, and said he’d be there to witness it with a “with a big, fat smile.” ...
:toilet:
Kim

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:45 am

It is a hallmark of the fringe alt-right to disregard facts, and attempt to discredit traditional news sources. The Rohingya crisis is not "fake news." The repeated attempts by some DW Members to disparage the Rohingya is extremely unfortunate.

Why Prejudice Runs Deep Against Rohingya Muslims Of Myanmar
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。

pulga

Post by pulga » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:36 am

I don't mean to justify the severity of the Burmese governments crackdown on the Rohingya, but as noted in the video the Asian press is reporting the situation differently than the Western press. The Asian press seems to be covering the story with a more balanced nuance that comes as more accurate and thorough.

From Asia Times, October 31, 2017:
Both ARSA members say they are deeply embittered about being uninformed about the insurgent group’s leaders’ attack plans. “If I could talk with the leaders I would ask them, ‘why did you do this? You knew we couldn’t win and that the Tatmadaw and the BGP would massacre us. Why didn’t you [just] kill us directly?’”, Rasheed Ali said.

Little is known about ARSA and its overall strategy. According to the International Crisis Group, a conflict resolution outfit, the group’s leadership is formed in a committee in Saudi Arabia. Its on-the-ground leader, Attah Ullah, is a Rohingya male born in Pakistan and raised in Saudi Arabia.
Inside view of Myanmar’s Rohingya insurgency

That the insurgency's leadership source comes from Saudi Arabia is troubling.

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:52 am

pulga wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:36 am
I don't mean to justify the severity of the Burmese governments crackdown on the Rohingya, but as noted in the video the Asian press is reporting the situation differently than the Western press. The Asian press seems to be covering the story with a more balanced nuance that comes as more accurate and thorough.
As noted elsewhere, the nuance is being reported in non-Asian media outlets as well, though perhaps not in as much depth and detail. For example: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/17/worl ... tants.html

Unfortunately, we are hearing a great deal from people who continue to present this as a black-and-white issue, in which the Rohingya are the bad guys and those who attack them are the good guys who have been misrepresented by the allegedly biased MSM (with some nefarious alleged connection to George Soros). There is a lot of fringe alt-right nonsense circulating here on DW.

Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:56 am

Here's a thorough backgrounder from Al Jazeera - http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur ... 42812.html - and it doesn't look much different from what's in the (responsible!) Western media.

:coffee:
Kim

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:59 am

An editorial from the Straits Times, Singapore - http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/st- ... ubled-zone
... Geopolitics complicates matters. India, an influential neighbour to both Bangladesh and Myanmar, has looked the other way, not wishing to drive Myanmar into China's hands. Both the Americans and Europeans haven't done enough, apart from condemning the violence and pledging humanitarian aid.

Into this breach has stepped China. On Saturday, no less than President Xi Jinping discussed the issue when he met Myanmar's military chief, Senior General Min Aung Hliang, in Beijing. That meeting came on the heels of Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi's trip to Bangladesh and Myanmar. Following that, Beijing proposed a three-stage deal starting with a ceasefire on the ground, a via media for the return of refugees, and a long-term solution based on poverty alleviation. A Bangladesh government statement suggested that the first batches of refugees could return to the Rakhine within two months. ...
Kim

pulga

Post by pulga » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:20 am

So long as the insurgency is being funded from abroad there is going to be a conflict. Aung San Suu Kyi is right that it is terrorism that is causing the communal unrest. Defeating ARSA is the linchpin to resolving the crisis.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:30 am

Kusala wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:49 pm
You won't hear this from the mainstream media. It's not about the right or left, in my opinion, it's about the truth.
The speaker sounds quite weird to me because he said the term "Palestinian" is made up, as though the 800,000 or so people who fled Palestine in 1948 (whenever), running for their lives from wanton murderous terrorist violence of the Irgun, Hagana, etc, did not live in villages, did not have homes, did not have families, did not have ancestors, etc.
There were no such thing as Palestinians. When was there an independent Palestinian people with a Palestinian state? It was either southern Syria before the First World War, and then it was a Palestine including Jordan. It was not as though there was a Palestinian people in Palestine considering itself as a Palestinian people and we came and threw them out and took their country away from them. They did not exist.

Golda Meir (Ukrainian-American) as quoted in Sunday Times (15 June 1969), also in The Washington Post (16 June 1969)

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Golda_Meir

Image Image Image
Similarly, he is engaged in a word play with 'Rohingya', as though, just because this term may not be clear in its conventional world history, negates the humanity & existence of these people.

He cites an 25 August 2017 ARSA attack, as "starting" the violence & labeling it the world's greatest terrorist act; even though the humanitarian disaster is many years old. He then claims the anti-Muslim media of Thailand & Sri Lanka and probably India are more objective media sources.

He then becomes completely illogical when claiming the fleeing people are faking it in order to obtain resettlement in the West. This is totally illogical because it would be good news for Burma if these people voluntarily left Burma, as he is claiming. Further, it would mean the anti-Rohingya "Buddhist" activists in Burma are also actors in this conspiracy.

The "scam" the speaker is alleging sounds more like the Zionist scam when thousands of Jews were encouraged to flee to Palestine after WW2 on boats after millions of Allied soldiers sacrificed their lives eradicating the Nazis from Europe & making Europe safe for Jews.

The presenter then misrepresents the Koran about "polytheists", which does not refer to Hindus & Buddhists but to a tribe who occupied the Kaaba in Mecca. Buddhism continued under Islam for about 500 years until the Moguls (ex-Buddhists) wiped it out in Persia, Afghanistan & India.

The "Islam" the video is talking about is UK-created & US-backed Wahhabism.

I listened up to 33 minutes. I often listen to alternate media but, to me, this video is rubbish.
Kusala wrote:
When there are thousands of people, including women & children, fleeing, with barely their clothing as their only possession, using rickety boats, it appears obvious or common sense which side is the aggressor & which side is not. Thousands of people simply do not flee like this to get asylum in the West.

Kusala

Post by Kusala » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:50 am

Sam Vara wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:42 pm
Kusala wrote:
Many thanks, Kusala, it is indeed very interesting. I could only listen to about a third of it, but will return to it later. I'd never heard a sustained exposition which blamed the Muslims before; obviously, the media in the West are keen to portray this as being an issue in which the Muslims are victims, a point which the two people on the video discuss at some length. This question may have come up later in the video when the listener calls started coming in, but why have the Burmese leadership - Aung San Suu Kyi in particular - not done more to combat the official Western line, if it is not true? She has maintained almost total silence, which has been represented in the West as complicity with genocide. Surely it would have been easy to deny that Burmese Buddhist civilians and the army were solely to blame?

Could I also ask whether you live in the region, and have first-hand experience of this conflict? Or do you favour the view presented in the video because it is consistent with other reports? I'm not very well informed about the conflict and how it is reported, but you can probably see how readily this video would be dismissed by those who want to take the alternative view.
No, but I've done a bit of research...Rick Heizman,the gentleman in the video has lived in Myanmar and is an expert...

Here's one of many truths about the "Rohingya" ...

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:29 am

Kusala wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:50 am

No, but I've done a bit of research...Rick Heizman,the gentleman in the video has lived in Myanmar and is an expert...

Here's one of many truths about the "Rohingya" ...

Thanks, Kusala, I'll have a look at that later today. I'm open minded about this, and the claim that someone has lived in a country does not of course mean that we should accept all they have to say about it - otherwise we would have to accept everything our compatriots say! But I'm genuinely grateful for your presentation of this view, and I take it seriously.

Kusala

Post by Kusala » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:32 pm

DooDoot wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:30 am
Kusala wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:49 pm
The speaker sounds quite weird to me because he said the term "Palestinian" is made up, as though the 800,000 or so people who fled Palestine in 1948 (whenever), running for their lives from wanton murderous terrorist violence of the Irgun, Hagana, etc, did not live in villages, did not have homes, did not have families, did not have ancestors, etc.
There were no such thing as Palestinians. When was there an independent Palestinian people with a Palestinian state? It was either southern Syria before the First World War, and then it was a Palestine including Jordan. It was not as though there was a Palestinian people in Palestine considering itself as a Palestinian people and we came and threw them out and took their country away from them. They did not exist.

Golda Meir (Ukrainian-American) as quoted in Sunday Times (15 June 1969), also in The Washington Post (16 June 1969)

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Golda_Meir

Image Image Image
Similarly, he is engaged in a word play with 'Rohingya', as though, just because this term may not be clear in its conventional world history, negates the humanity & existence of these people.

He cites an 25 August 2017 ARSA attack, as "starting" the violence & labeling it the world's greatest terrorist act; even though the humanitarian disaster is many years old. He then claims the anti-Muslim media of Thailand & Sri Lanka and probably India are more objective media sources.

He then becomes completely illogical when claiming the fleeing people are faking it in order to obtain resettlement in the West. This is totally illogical because it would be good news for Burma if these people voluntarily left Burma, as he is claiming. Further, it would mean the anti-Rohingya "Buddhist" activists in Burma are also actors in this conspiracy.

The "scam" the speaker is alleging sounds more like the Zionist scam when thousands of Jews were encouraged to flee to Palestine after WW2 on boats after millions of Allied soldiers sacrificed their lives eradicating the Nazis from Europe & making Europe safe for Jews.

The presenter then misrepresents the Koran about "polytheists", which does not refer to Hindus & Buddhists but to a tribe who occupied the Kaaba in Mecca. Buddhism continued under Islam for about 500 years until the Moguls (ex-Buddhists) wiped it out in Persia, Afghanistan & India.

The "Islam" the video is talking about is UK-created & US-backed Wahhabism.

I listened up to 33 minutes. I often listen to alternate media but, to me, this video is rubbish.
Kusala wrote:
When there are thousands of people, including women & children, fleeing, with barely their clothing as their only possession, using rickety boats, it appears obvious or common sense which side is the aggressor & which side is not. Thousands of people simply do not flee like this to get asylum in the West.
Two "Rohingya" boys aka Bengali boys calling for the heads of Buddhists. But according to the mainstream media, Buddhists are committing "genocide"...

SamKR

Post by SamKR » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:41 pm

Kusala wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:32 pm
Two "Rohingya" boys aka Bengali boys ...
These kids are victims. And so are many adults who have nothing to do with violence and extremism but just want to live a decent life peacefully.

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:13 pm

https://globalnews.ca/news/3620457/kevi ... te-crimes/

This certainly puts your interest in "Aryan history" (you also specify you are NOT interested in "Israelite" history) and multiple posts about the "Buddha's skin colour" in a much more clear context, Kusala.

Kusala

Post by Kusala » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:57 pm

SamKR wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:41 pm
Kusala wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:32 pm
Two "Rohingya" boys aka Bengali boys ...

These kids are victims.
And so are many adults who have nothing to do with violence and extremism but just want to live a decent life peacefully.
Yes, they are...victims of religious indoctrination. What about these victims?

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Kusala,
please read this history to see why and how these children - and their parents, grandparents, and whole community- are indeed victims.
Kim OHara wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:56 am
Here's a thorough backgrounder from Al Jazeera - http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur ... 42812.html - and it doesn't look much different from what's in the (responsible!) Western media.

Kim
You are what you eat. Similarly, you are what you read - and if you only read hate-filled rubbish ...

:namaste:
Kim

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:45 pm

Greetings,
Kim OHara wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:22 pm
You are what you eat. Similarly, you are what you read - and if you only read hate-filled rubbish ...
... then you'll come out with something which is bordering on a "personal attack" (ToS2f) that "attacks or smears members who ascribe to such views, or who are perceived by you (rightly or wrongly) to be holders of those views" (News2) ?

:shrug:

Come on - play the ball, not the man.

It isn't automatically "hate-filled" to challenge or disagree with mainstream Western PC narratives, despite what CNN and "culture writers" at The Guardian might like us to believe...

:focus:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:55 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:45 pm
Greetings,
Kim OHara wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:22 pm
... then you'll come out with something which is bordering on a "personal attack" (ToS2f) that "attacks or smears members who ascribe to such views, or who are perceived by you (rightly or wrongly) to be holders of those views" (News2) ?

:shrug:

Come on - play the ball, not the man.

It isn't automatically "hate-filled" to challenge or disagree with mainstream Western PC narratives, despite what CNN and "culture writers" at The Guardian might like us to believe...

:focus:

Metta,
Paul. :)
Retro,
It wasn't a personal attack but a warning. Kusala rejects the mainstream narrative without, apparently, even knowing the (uncontrovertible) history. That is dangerous as well as poor discussion strategy.
And, as I said in a different earlier post, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proofs. The opinions of one unreliable commentator do not have the weight to counter mainstream narratives unless they demonstrate superior knowledge and can quote supporting evidence. I'm waiting ... but with no expectation that it will be forthcoming, because I don't think it exists. The facts of the whole sorry situation are very clear, and they are as they have been reported by every reputable news organisation which has managed to get, or find, observers in the region.

:namaste:
Kim