Criticism of Islam

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Kusala

Criticism of Islam

Post by Kusala » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:15 pm

DNS wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:00 pm
Kusala wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:53 am
That article appears to be wrong. I don't see any mention of Nalanda being destroyed in recent years. See the timeline here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalanda_U ... y#Timeline

I like Nalanda Univ., I even have a license plate frame commemorating Nalanda, but it is not the first university as the author claims.

Plato's Academy 427 BCE
Peripatetic school 350 BCE
Lyceum 334 BCE
Nalanda 427 CE (about 854 years after Plato's Academy)
Thanks, David. :anjali:

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "

Zom

Criticism of Islam

Post by Zom » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:37 am

She may have been naively repeating bigoted propaganda or maliciously repeating it, but that does not change the fact that it is bigoted propaganda. It is like the absurd claim that England or the US is under Muslim rule and have outlawed Christmas, meant to stir up hatred.
I don't know much about this situation in Sri Lanka, but I do know, that such thing is possible in Russia. You will be unable to hold christian religious ceremonies on the streets in Chechnya for example. Local (muslim) government will simply forbid you to do that (probably they will say smth like: this is for your own safety) 8-)

Caodemarte

Criticism of Islam

Post by Caodemarte » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:11 am

Zom wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:37 am
She may have been naively repeating bigoted propaganda or maliciously repeating it, but that does not change the fact that it is bigoted propaganda. It is like the absurd claim that England or the US is under Muslim rule and have outlawed Christmas, meant to stir up hatred.
I don't know much about this situation in Sri Lanka, but I do know, that such thing is possible in Russia. You will be unable to hold christian religious ceremonies on the streets in Chechnya for example. Local (muslim) government will simply forbid you to do that (probably they will say smth like: this is for your own safety) 8-)
I suspect that holding any unapproved religious service on the streets of Grozny under Russian imposed “Muslim” authorities would be even more dangerous than in Moscow, but both would be illegal. But I fail to see either’s connection to Theravada.

In Sri Lanka, a Theravada majority country, with a history of Buddhist mob attacks against minority religions, it would be literally suicidal for so-called “Muslim authorities” to forbid Buddhist celebrations. Again, this has all the earmarks of malicious propaganda meant to stir up hate.

DooDoot

Criticism of Islam

Post by DooDoot » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:18 am

Zom wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:37 am
Chechnya
Chechnya is possibly another form of US-backed Jihadism, which does not represent the true character of Islam. It can be seen in Muslim Syria that when Syrian towns were liberated from US-backed-Saudi-terrorists, Christians in those Muslim towns celebrated Christmas, as Christians did for hundreds of years in the Islamic Empires. The good people need to stick together & see thru the divide-&-conquer imperialist strategies.

Hezbollah liberator calling home the Christians.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Criticism of Islam

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:00 am

Greetings,

OK... Chechnya only came up as a point of comparison... let's not get distracted by it.

:focus:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Zom

Criticism of Islam

Post by Zom » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:19 pm

I suspect that holding any unapproved religious service on the streets of Grozny under Russian imposed “Muslim” authorities would be even more dangerous than in Moscow, but both would be illegal. But I fail to see either’s connection to Theravada.
The connection is "[alien] religious ceremonies on the streets" -)
with a history of Buddhist mob attacks against minority religions, it would be literally suicidal for so-called “Muslim authorities” to forbid Buddhist celebrations.
Suicidal if there are few of them. But when there are a lot of them, they fear nothing and start dictating their own rules .)

Caodemarte

Criticism of Islam

Post by Caodemarte » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:55 pm

Zom wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:19 pm
with a history of Buddhist mob attacks against minority religions, it would be literally suicidal for so-called “Muslim authorities” to forbid Buddhist celebrations.
Suicidal if there are few of them. But when there are a lot of them, they fear nothing and start dictating their own rules .)
Again, nonsense. Buddhists face no suppression in any area in Sri Lanka, excepting “Buddhist” mob terror against Buddhists who argue for tolerance and reason. This sort of malicious rumor (since you say you heard it from a friend) is precisely the sort of thing used to whip up the masses to violence.

These claims are similar to the US loons who claim that parts of Illinois (and sometimes New Jersey), the UK, and France are under sharia law. Those who are sane do it to spread and exploit hate for power. Covert Russian state propaganda, as we have seen, amplifies and spreads this sort of thing to further split and weaken Western societies (internally similar propaganda is used to mobilize the masses against a perceived enemy).

pilgrim

Criticism of Islam

Post by pilgrim » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:22 am

Nonsense? Rumours?
Well , here's a case in point. Apparently she made some remarks to people outside the mosque regarding the prophet.
Malaysian housewife handed jail term for insulting Islam
https://www.news24.com/World/News/malay ... m-20171215

On the other hand, Zakir Naik, who is a fugitive from India for inciting hatred against Hinduism has been offered Permanent Residence and a piece of land to build an institute in Malaysia, a country which is supposedly leading in practising a moderate form of Islam.

It is true that most Muslims are kind and wonderful people but they are the silent majority. The reins of leadership are almost always in the hands of the bigots who use religion for their own ends. They set the policies, they control what the Muslim population reads, sees and think. Those who speak up against them are labelled unIslamic or ignorant and threatened with punitive actions and so they are cowed into silence. I've lived in a muslim majority country for all my life so I can claim to have a pretty good idea of the dynamics . Even as I write this, I am fearful and have to be very careful what I say.

Caodemarte

Criticism of Islam

Post by Caodemarte » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:20 am

pilgrim wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:22 am
Nonsense? Rumours?
Well , here's a case in point. Apparently she made some remarks to people outside the mosque regarding the prophet...
Respectfully, neither the Indian gentleman mentioned or the story about the case of an ethnic Chinese woman being charged for allegedly (according to the link) making insulting remarks about Mohammad inside a mosque to presumably ethnic Malay Muslims has no relevance to the nonsensical malicious rumor about Sri Lanka under discussion. The claim that was allegedly heard from a friend (making it a rumor) that minority Muslims “authorities” in Sri Lanka who are currently facing Buddhist mob violence in a majority Buddhist country would somehow (and, on the face of it, illegally) forbid Buddhist activities in order to suppress Buddhists makes no sense and is typical of the malicious reports used to stir up ethnic/religious violence.

Pseudobabble

Criticism of Islam

Post by Pseudobabble » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:39 am

Caodemarte wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:20 am
neither the Indian gentleman mentioned or the story about the case of an ethnic Chinese woman being charged for allegedly (according to the link) making insulting remarks about Mohammad inside a mosque to presumably ethnic Malay Muslims has no relevance to the nonsensical malicious rumor about Sri Lanka under discussion.
In a more general sense it has relevance. What is being pointed out is the reluctance of authorities in many Muslim majority communities to accord to other religions the tolerance Islam is accorded in many non-Muslim majority communities.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

Kusala

Criticism of Islam

Post by Kusala » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:00 pm

He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

lyndon taylor

Criticism of Islam

Post by lyndon taylor » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:10 pm

you left out Jesus, he about beats them all!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

Caodemarte

Criticism of Islam

Post by Caodemarte » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:39 am
Caodemarte wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:20 am
neither the Indian gentleman mentioned or the story about the case of an ethnic Chinese woman being charged for allegedly (according to the link) making insulting remarks about Mohammad inside a mosque to presumably ethnic Malay Muslims has no relevance to the nonsensical malicious rumor about Sri Lanka under discussion.
In a more general sense it has relevance. What is being pointed out is the reluctance of authorities in many Muslim majority communities to accord to other religions the tolerance Islam is accorded in many non-Muslim majority communities.
It has no relevance to the topic under discussion which is what appears to be false propaganda about minority Muslims in a majority Theravada community appearently intended to incite hatred and violence (or at least typical of such propaganda).

Sri Lanka is a majority Theravada community where tolerance for any other religion has been under constant threat since the 80’s. Many Muslim majority communities “accord to other religions the tolerance Islam is accorded. “ Some do not. Many Buddhist majority communities are tolerant; some are not. Many Christian communities; etc. and etc. I just had a visit from a neighboring Protestant community church who believe “Papists” are the enemies (they quickly left when I said I attended the local Buddhist temple). I have lived in the former Yugoslavia where atheists manipulated religious and ethnic bigotry in a modern European genocide against Muslims. Some years ago I spoke with a Sri Lankan monk who seriously explained why all Tamil men, women, children and babies should all be killed according to Buddhism. I was also speaking with a monk who was fighting against this genocidal evil abuse of Buddhism.

I do not conclude from that all Protestants, Buddhists, atheists, Muslims, etc. are all tolerant or intolerant or tend to be so. History has shown us that no one is inherently innocent or guilty. I do conclude from that that we must all resist the lure of bigotry and those who would manipulate us.

Kusala

Criticism of Islam

Post by Kusala » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:08 am

DooDoot

Criticism of Islam

Post by DooDoot » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:16 am

Fresh off the press. :mrgreen: