THE UNIVERSE SHOULD NOT ACTUALLY EXIST, CERN SCIENTISTS DISCOVER

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
chownah

Re: THE UNIVERSE SHOULD NOT ACTUALLY EXIST, CERN SCIENTISTS DISCOVER

Post by chownah » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:16 am

binocular wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:26 am
Who said anything about "rudimentary attempts at philosophy which gave the scientific foundations so that engineers /.../ could produce the internet etc."?
Well, it kind of looks like you did....since previously you posted:
Up until about a hundred years ago, it was mandatory in European universities that all students, regardless of their major, take at least a general course in philosophy. I think that scientific "progress" would be far more sensible if students would still be required to do so. Because not just a little of what scientists do today (and which is called "progress" or "discovery") is little more than just rudimentary attempts at philosophy.
chownah

chownah

Re: THE UNIVERSE SHOULD NOT ACTUALLY EXIST, CERN SCIENTISTS DISCOVER

Post by chownah » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:21 am

The article in the OP was written by Hannah Osborne....she is a staff writer at newsweek....if you go to the page with info about staff it only says she graduated from Goldsmiths College University of London. Goldsmiths college univ of london has only two departments dealing with the sciences which are anthropology and psychology. They don't seem to have a math dept.

Hannah's articles include "Full Beaver Moon is Approaching: Here's What it Means"....from a scientific point of view it means nothing..."" and "NASA Releases Creepy Radio Recordings From Space " just in time for halloween as she says in the article.

She presents articles which are supposed to create interest in the sciences and are very thin on actual science. I read her recent article on a fusion energy advance (a topic I am very familiar with) and in the entire article there was only one small paragraph or three or so short sentences which gave a sketchy idea about what was discovered.

This is the person who is pushing metaphysics and pretty much guaranteed she is not even close to being a scientist.
chownah