Activism supporting Rohingya

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Garrib

Re: Activism supporting Rohingya

Post by Garrib » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:20 am

Whatever else the "Oppression Olympics" is, it seems to be an expression of childishness, ignorance, and insensitivity.

Rohingya women are being raped en masse, children slaughtered, and villages burnt to the ground. Even the Trump administration and US State Dept. are now acknowledging this. To think that this issue is somehow related to identity politics seems to miss the mark by an almost inconcievable degree.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:06 am

There are lots of appeals for aid. Here's one from a good international group - help if you can.

https://www.amnesty.org.au/rohingya-myanmar-donate/

:namaste:
Kim

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:27 pm

chownah wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:59 am
The "oppression olympics" is a repressive tool used by the winners of the "oppresive olympics" where the ones who reach the gold are the ones who are the most white, christian, coersive, and violent.

The "oppression olympics" is used to divide people and I don't mean that the oppressed people are intent on division....I mean that it is the winners of the "oppresive olympics" that have that intention.....it is the winners of the "oppresive olympics" which proliferate the concept of the "oppression olympics" mostly and mostly not the oppressed people of the world.
chownah
Garrib wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:20 am
Whatever else the "Oppression Olympics" is, it seems to be an expression of childishness, ignorance, and insensitivity.

Rohingya women are being raped en masse, children slaughtered, and villages burnt to the ground. Even the Trump administration and US State Dept. are now acknowledging this. To think that this issue is somehow related to identity politics seems to miss the mark by an almost inconcievable degree.
I agree with the above statements and believe the graphic provided does little to add to the Topic discussion regarding "Activism supporting Rohingya" other than to suggest that there should be no such activism.

retrofuturist wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:16 am
Let me be clear... Words have meaning. If the reader introduces things neither said nor implied by those words, then that's on the reader.

The "unintentional consequence" of your drastic misreading and misrepresentation of what is said, means that it would be a waste of your my time and yours for me to construct a response, since you've pretty much inverted and shown no comprehension of what was said.

Nowhere did I say the "Oppression Olympics" is "beloved".... the practice of vying for prestigious title of "most oppressed" seems ridiculous to me.

If you wish to argue with yourself, by all means please do, but have the decency to leave me out of it.
Correct, words have meaning. Yet it also is true that words may have multiple meanings, and the message one wishes to convey with words may be ambiguous and subject to valid misunderstanding. This is not always the fault of the listener/reader.

On topic and as to the relevant discussion in this Topic, the "Oppression Olympics" graphic includes the following literary quote from "Animal Farm:"
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
The word "animal" has a meaning. The graphic refers to groups including black people, people with disabilities and, as relevant here, Muslims (such as the Rohingya Muslims). This graphic can reasonably be taken as an attempt to address the call for "Activism supporting Rohingya" as a comparison of the Rohingya with animals. I am certain this is not the meaning intended by conveying the graphic here in this Topic regarding "Activism supporting Rohingya," but the graphic in this discussion sends an ambiguous message which reasonably could be taken the wrong way.
lyndon taylor wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:12 am
Can't believe we have pro Rohingya genocide posters on the forum.
I also can't believe it. Either it is an unfortunate reality that some Buddhists here are pro Rohingya genocide, or else some of the comments here are simply very ambiguous.

A further exploration of the Right Speech issues, which are not on Topic here, can be found in the following Topic: Right Speech: Insensitive Speech
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。

binocular

Post by binocular » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:25 am

L.N. wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:27 pm
On topic and as to the relevant discussion in this Topic, the "Oppression Olympics" graphic includes the following literary quote from "Animal Farm:"
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
The word "animal" has a meaning. The graphic refers to groups including black people, people with disabilities and, as relevant here, Muslims (such as the Rohingya Muslims). This graphic can reasonably be taken as an attempt to address the call for "Activism supporting Rohingya" as a comparison of the Rohingya with animals. I am certain this is not the meaning intended by conveying the graphic here in this Topic regarding "Activism supporting Rohingya," but the graphic in this discussion sends an ambiguous message which reasonably could be taken the wrong way.
All this goes to show is that some people are culturally illiterate; don't recognize a reference to one of the most popular political satires in literature and culture at large (perhaps it's even the most popular one); and that one needs to be super careful when using phrases or passages that require some education, because chances are that someone will not understand them as intended.
I also can't believe it. Either it is an unfortunate reality that some Buddhists here are pro Rohingya genocide, or else some of the comments here are simply very ambiguous.
Or some people think in terms of black-and-white dichotomies, and squeeze everything they read into one or the other category, allowing for no other option.

Lesson: When talking about sensitive topics, such as the situation in Burma, it's best to refrain from making references to anything that requires some education in literature, art, history, religions. Do not use satire to make a point.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:19 am

Greetings,

:focus:

I think we've had enough meta-discussion this week to last a lifetime.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Kusala

Post by Kusala » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:14 am

So-called Rohingya refugees. Hmm, Is he taking a selfie?

Mainstream media

It's amazing what a little research can do...

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:15 pm

Kusala wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:14 am
The Rohingya crisis is not "fake news." Seeking to discredit the so-called MSM is a hallmark of the fringe alt-right movement which also seeks to vilify Muslims and other groups.
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:20 am

L.N. wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:15 pm
Kusala wrote:
The Rohingya crisis is not "fake news." Seeking to discredit the so-called MSM is a hallmark of the fringe alt-right movement which also seeks to vilify Muslims and other groups.
Kusala put the text "Mainstream media" BETWEEN two pictures so it is difficult to know which picture the text refers to. This is interesting because depending on which one it refers to the meaning gets completely changed.
chownah

indianromeo

Post by indianromeo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:25 am

Surprised that no foreign policy activist orgs in the US have been mentioned yet. Would anyone care to start one, with the objective of shaping US foreign policy regarding Myanmar? My take on Trump is not that he’s bad (he is) but that he’s libertarian, leaving government quite literally up to direct actions by the people. I’d like to do this.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:41 am

Greetings,

Not quite... Trump's policy is largely non-interventionist, with overseas involvement only when collaboration with other governments (e.g. Saudi Arabia, China, Japan) is deemed to be in their mutual interests. I'm not sure how the current situation meets that brief, as I don't see how it has much direct bearing on the U.S.

Despite what you hear about the U.S. being a wealthy nation, they are also massively in debt, in part due to a history of over-zealous foreign policy engagements, and this should be taken in consideration when considering their possible response.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:01 am

Kusala wrote:
It's amazing what a little research can do...
Indeed. Here are the top results from a very simple internet search.

Rohingya refugees 'targeted' by military landmines as they fled - ABC News
Yusef Nasi is a father of three in his 20s, now blind and missing part of one hand. He is one of scores of Rohingya with catastrophic injuries from landmines they say were deliberately laid by Myanmar's military.
Search domain abc.net.au/news/2017-10-04/rohingya-refugees-targete...

Rohingya Refugee Crisis - Myanmar - ADRA
The Rohingya refugees are facing crisis. Forced to flee from their homes, needing urgent assistance. Please donate now.
Search domain www.adra.org.au https://www.adra.org.au/project/rohingy ... ee-crisis/

UNHCR - Rohingya emergency
Over half a million Rohingya refugees have fled violence in Myanmar. Follow the crisis here.
Search domain unhcr.org/rohingya-emergency.html

Rohingya people - Wikipedia
The Rohingya people (/ r oʊ ˈ ɪ n dʒ ə, - h ɪ n-, - ɪ ŋ j ə /; historically also termed Arakanese Indians) are a stateless Indo-Aryan people from Rakhine State, Myanmar.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohingya_people

Rohingya Refugee Crisis | USA for UNHCR
More than 600,000 Rohingya children, women and men have fled to Bangladesh escaping violence in Myanmar since August 25, 2017.
Search domain www.unrefugees.orghttps://www.unrefugees.org/emergencies/rohingya/

Rohingya persecution in Myanmar - Wikipedia
As a result of the Autumn 2017 military "clearance operations" and reprisals, as of mid-September, 2017, about 400,000 mostly-Rohingya refugees (about a third of the Rohingya population) have fled, or been driven out of, Rakhine—most fleeing to Bangladesh.
Search domain en.wikipedia.orghttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohingya_ ... ar_(201...

Thai plan to push back Rohingya refugees sparks fears of new wave of ...
Military-ruled Thailand says its navy will push Rohingya refugees back out to sea as fears grow of a new wave of boat people across Asia's waters.
Search domain www.smh.com.ausmh.com.au/world/thai-plan-to-push-back-rohingya-ref...

Deal Allows Rohingya Refugees To Return To Myanmar : NPR
Bangladesh has signed an agreement with Myanmar to return hundreds of thousands of Rohingya Muslims who fled a recent army crackdown. There's a lot of skepticism about the deal.
Search domain www.npr.orghttps://www.npr.org/2017/11/27/56667759 ... ohingya...

Pope meets Rohingya refugees | Euronews
Pope Francis had an emotional meeting with Muslim refugees from Myanmar in Bangladesh, using the word Rohingya to describe them for the first time on his Asia trip
Search domain www.euronews.comeuronews.com/2017/12/01/pope-meets-rohingya-refugees

Rohingya refugees flee violence - CNN
More than 600,000 Rohingya have fled violence in Myanmar and are seeking refuge in Bangladesh, according to the United Nations.
Search domain www.cnn.comcnn.com/2017/09/13/world/iyw-rohingya-refugees-fl...

:reading: please, Kusala

:namaste:
Kim

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:23 am

chownah wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:20 am
L.N. wrote:
Kusala wrote:
Kusala put the text "Mainstream media" BETWEEN two pictures so it is difficult to know which picture the text refers to. This is interesting because depending on which one it refers to the meaning gets completely changed.
chownah
He's contrasting the selfie picture with the weeping picture, saying that the MSM don't report the first, only the second.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:43 am

Pseudobabble wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:23 am
chownah wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:20 am
L.N. wrote:

chownah
He's contrasting the selfie picture with the weeping picture, saying that the MSM don't report the first, only the second.
I think you are right, that is what kusala is saying. So, what's the point. If I was reporting on a humanitarian crisis it is the second picture that I would use as it is a graphic depiction of a human in crisis.....the first picture doesn't depict a human in crisis at all although to be fair it could be that some of those people were undergoing a different kind of crisis and were just not displaying their emotions.

Obviously the second picture is what a journlist would use to depict a humanitarian crises while the first picture would be a poor choice. So I guess the msm did a good job.
chownah

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:56 am

I wonder where kusala got the first picture from? Is it even of Rohingya refugees? Is it possible that kusala could be spreading "FAKE NEWS"?

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:31 pm

chownah wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:43 am

Obviously the second picture is what a journlist would use to depict a humanitarian crises while the first picture would be a poor choice. So I guess the msm did a good job.
Indeed, but only because you have assumed exactly what Kusala is questioning - the humanitarian crisis.

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:52 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:31 pm
chownah wrote:

Indeed, but only because you have assumed exactly what Kusala is questioning - the humanitarian crisis.
But how does posting a random photo of people on a boat throw doubt on there being a humanitarian crisis?

It's like posting a picture of a "blue eyed Nepali Sadhu" as "pretty convincing argument that the historical Buddha had blue eyes".

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
chownah wrote:

I have seen enough evidence so that I am convinced that there is a humanitarian crisis. You can call it an assumption if you want. There has been a ton of reporting from various news agencies from around the world who have sent reporters there and there is no doubt that there is a humanitarian crisis there. Those unwilling or unable to see that there is a humanitarian crisis there are either propogandists who are using human suffering to further their agendas or they have succumbed to the persuasion of propogandists or they are simply uninformed about what has happened there.
chownah

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:59 pm

Mr Man wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:52 pm
But how does posting a random photo of people on a boat throw doubt on there being a humanitarian crisis?
I'm not saying it does - only that to say the MSM have done a good job reporting on the basis that they didn't report the selfie picture for a humanitarian crisis, assumes that a humanitarian crisis is ongoing, which is exactly what Kusala has posted the pictures to question.

In other words, chownah (rightly or not) is begging the question.

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:01 pm

chownah wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:56 pm
Pseudobabble wrote:
chownah wrote:

I have seen enough evidence so that I am convinced that there is a humanitarian crisis. You can call it an assumption if you want. There has been a ton of reporting from various news agencies from around the world who have sent reporters there and there is no doubt that there is a humanitarian crisis there. Those unwilling or unable to see that there is a humanitarian crisis there are either propogandists who are using human suffering to further their agendas or they have succumbed to the persuasion of propogandists or they are simply uninformed about what has happened there.
chownah
Again, I'm not saying there's no crisis - I'm saying that you can't prove a proposition on its own basis. You cannot say, these pictures were reported, and because they were reported, what they are reporting is true, on the basis of the pictures. Its a logical fallacy.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi Pseudobabble

Let's forget about chownah for a moment.

So kusala wrote
So-called Rohingya refugees. Hmm, Is he taking a selfie?
And underneath kusala posts a picture of people on a boat.

Is there any connection between what kusala wrote and the picture?